Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FDn 50mm f1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: FDn 50mm f1.4 Reply with quote

My very first f1.4 lens Surprised

All shots taken between f1,4 and f2,8.

A quick shoot around the house/garden and I am impressed!

100%

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a very fine lens, and you have used it well.
It really shines in back lighting as well.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice garden series !
do you use the lens on the 60D without infinity ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poilu: no, these were shot on a nex 3n. I had too much trouble getting the focus right on the 60D, therefor I recently bought a nex to use all my old lenses on Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very good lens and I read that in the past Canon used this lens for correct colour balance reference for all their lenses.

Last edited by Excalibur on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice examples. I have the FD version, and really like the rendering at times. I use it on my NEX 5N, but is would be great to use it full frame (that A7 looks tempting). Fast, light, well built, nice action, relatively affordable and great bokeh - difficult to find a problem with it really.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!
The newFD 50/1.4 is supposed to be one of the best manual 50/1.4 lenses Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one would you suggest, the FD SSC or the FDn version?

Btw, great lens, but I noticed that the bokeh shape is not super round Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanylapep wrote:
Which one would you suggest, the FD SSC or the FDn version?

Btw, great lens, but I noticed that the bokeh shape is not super round Smile

As far as I know the FDn version is (optically) the best manual Canon 50/1.4
I won't expect that much difference though, especially on crop sensors.

Last edited by ForenSeil on Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:49 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think opinions are a bit devided on that. While researching this lens prior to purchasing I read sometimes the ssc version was better. I don't know really. I doubt there is that much difference between the two. Ssc probably bettter 'feel' built wise but for performance I did't really see any difference between sample images.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FD 50/1.4 was Canons "benchmark lens" and the basic design was unchanged from the last days of the FL series (FL 50/1.4 II) up to the new FD 50/1.4. I doubt the current Canon EF 50/1.4 is a better performer.

FL 50/1.4 II
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/fl/data/19-85/fl_50_14v2.html?p=2

New FD 50/1.4
"The optical concept of this lens originated with the FL50mm f/1.4 II and FD50mm f/1.4."
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/lens/nfd/data/50-100/nfd_50_14.html?p=2

Last edited by Bille on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!Karen wrote:
I think opinions are a bit devided on that. While researching this lens prior to purchasing I read sometimes the ssc version was better. I don't know really. I doubt there is that much difference between the two. Ssc probably bettter 'feel' built wise but for performance I did't really see any difference between sample images.

I tend to agree with this. I like both, but I've always liked the look and feel, and the heft, of the 1.4 SSC better. As for image quality, I love my 50/1.4 SSC. But I gotta say that those images of yours are top notch.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome samples Very Happy

Once you go mirrorless it's difficult to go back IMHO Wink Congratz with your new "pocket cam" Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to be a keeper! Very nice pictures!