Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Jupiter-9 M39 Reply with quote

These pictures help to recognise which Jupiter-9 made for rangefinder cameras and for SLR cameras.

For rangefinders M39 Leica screw

For SLR-s M39 early Zenit for example

Last edited by Attila on Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:37 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila. This is a very useful post.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 M39 Silver SLR Gallery No portrait shoots yet, first impression more than positive. Sharp like any good macro lenses at f/5.6, nice colors, so small.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the highlighs bokeh of Jupiter-9 M39 version compare with the one of the newer version?

I hate the hgihlights bokeh of my Jupiter-9. This is the reason why I seldom use it. Because for all other aspects (including the midtones and darktones bokeh), it is an excellent lens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about this ? Little over exposed I know, but it has great bokeh I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I didn't mean this kind of bokeh, where my Jup-9 fails miserably is in the highlights bokeh, such as, street or car lamps in a night scenes, or highlight points in a wine glass picture, this kind of bokeh.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Example of terrible Jupiter-9 highlight bokeh.
This is one of the best pictures that I took this year. One that I will surely submit for the calendar.
Yet, see how the awful highlight bokeh of the Jup-9 gets in the way.
It is distracting at the maximum. I am even considering cloning it out or doing some radical photoshop makeup to the image - a thing that I normally hate to do - but here's a situation of "do it or die".

direct link:

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/6679/j9bokehfj1.jpg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh I see, yes looks ugly as well. No idea perhaps same, perhaps not. I saw similar ugly one from Carl Zeiss Jena Biometar 120mm f/2.8.Looks a mirror lens Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it is clearly visible what you pointing at.
But actually, I don't think it is too bad.
I mean, look at this background. It is like confetti, uncountable different small light sources. Any lens would have a problem with that.
And a mirror lens shows a highlight bokeh that look even more like empty circles, not the discs we can see here.
So, I think, it's not too bad here...

Carsten
(Or maybe KapcTeH, the defender of the Russian Jupiter. Wink )

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile yes right ,Hero of Soviet Union Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

(Or maybe KapcTeH, the defender of the Russian Jupiter. Wink )

Laughing
Hey good idea, I must write my signature with Cyrillics also! Very Happy

EDIT: hm... is it possible to call a font change within a text? No, I suppose not...

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, blond German as "Hero of Soviet Union" Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Man, blond German as "Hero of Soviet Union" Laughing

But there were blonde Soviets too Razz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look Carsten face ! Not a typical Soviet ! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Look Carsten face ! Not a typical Soviet ! Smile

Who knows? Maybe an incognito ex-member of the Staatssicherheit Razz

Last edited by Orio on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha , maybe I am starting to worry ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Example of terrible Jupiter-9 highlight bokeh.

I'm with you Orio, the "bokeh" ruins this picture. I would have liked to compare it with one taken with the Helios 40 or even one of your J-37s. What is the stuff on the ground making these highlights? It looks like glass marbles.

Actually, I'm finding it hard to find any part of the picture that IS in focus, that's not your normal style! Comparing it with Attila's picture of the laurel leaves, I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with this lens. Or could there have been some camera shake? - look at the girl's left shoulder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm with you Orio, the "bokeh" ruins this picture. I would have liked to compare it with one taken with the Helios 40 or even one of your J-37s. What is the stuff on the ground making these highlights? It looks like glass marbles.

It's coriandoli. Tiny pieces of colored or white paper that people throws at each other during the Carnevale.

Quote:

Actually, I'm finding it hard to find any part of the picture that IS in focus, that's not your normal style! Comparing it with Attila's picture of the laurel leaves, I'm wondering if there might be something wrong with this lens. Or could there have been some camera shake? - look at the girl's left shoulder.

The Jupiter-9 wide open is very soft. On top of that, this copy (I have two) also flares. The picture is not shaken, but it's not sharp because of the above reason and because I have not processed the photo (not sharpened or color balanced or anything) in order to show the bokeh unaltered. Normally I process all digital photos before publishing because they are supposed to be processed. So in the final version you will see the in-focus parts with better acutance.
The shoulder is defocused because I am using this 85mm lens very close to the subject and at max. aperture and close focusing the DOF is very narrow. The girl is in 3/4 position so there is a distance from the face to the shoulder in relation to the axis of lens that is much bigger than what a 85mm lens can keep focused wide open.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Orio: Your image made me curious, I had never noticed an unpleasant bokeh with the J9; so I took a couple of shots to compare a J9 against an 85/1.8 Nikkor. They do indeed have the ability to get a little wild in the background, the Jupiter a bit more so than the Nikkor (note the reflections in the glass vase, particularly at the bottom edge of the frame):

Jupiter-9, 85/2.0

Nikkor, 85/1.8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rick_oleson wrote:
Hi Orio: Your image made me curious, I had never noticed an unpleasant bokeh with the J9; so I took a couple of shots to compare a J9 against an 85/1.8 Nikkor. They do indeed have the ability to get a little wild in the background, the Jupiter a bit more so than the Nikkor (note the reflections in the glass vase, particularly at the bottom edge of the frame):

I think that your pictures show why the Nikkor (which is a Biotar 75 "in incognito") is a lens that costs 3-4 times more.
I also have both lenses and there is just no comparison. The Jupiter stopped down is sharper but the organic quality of the Nikkor is far beyond it's capability.
Your Jupiter picture clearly comes as a confirmation of the terrible bokeh of my picture: same ring-circled highlights (yours even show a strange bright point in the middle), same tendency to show them one over the other instead of blending them as it happens with the Nikkor.
The Jupiter-9 remains a valuable lens but it's better to check that you don't have bright highlights in your background before shooting.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
rick_oleson wrote:

I think that your pictures show why the Nikkor (which is a Biotar 75 "in incognito") is a lens that costs 3-4 times more.
I also have both lenses and there is just no comparison. The Jupiter stopped down is sharper but the organic quality of the Nikkor is far beyond it's capability.

Seems like Nikkor 85/1.8 is great lens (as Orio told few times).
The difference is same (like), if you compare Canon AF with Tak 50. Tak 50 is more smooth compare to Canon.. although Tak shows hexgon at f1.8 (but the lens is stepped down by that time).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 M39 Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

For rangefinders M39 Leica screw

For SLR-s M39 early Zenit for example

OK.. now I am confused.
I have Jupiter-9, or atleast I used to think.. this is the picture.. The guy told me that he converted M39 mount lens to M42, by cutting earlier M39 mount and by pasting M42 mount. I/you can see the paste on lens/(or pic).

(sorry for bad quality, will replace with good tomorrow...)
My M42 mount J-9

Few thing about lens,
The number is "6201553".
As rotating the focusing ring rotates the whole front assembly including aperture ring and scale, its little difficult to change aperture.

As aperture ring is little tight, after focusing changing aperture is almost impossible (it moves the focusing point) Mad Embarassed Sad

So I usually use the lens at f4 or below.
The lens is one fo the sharpest lens I have.

Bit from Attila pics, it looks like, the lens used be for rangefinder... and changing rangefinder to SLR is almost impossible...
Or may be Jupiter made some very initial SLR lenses in rangefinder lens assembly...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another lens like mine on eBay...
Click here to see on Ebay

For Kiev-4/Contax mount...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kiev-4 means range finder not SLR