Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MD 35-70 3.5 Macro, a real compact gem for my Nex
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For 100 USD the 35-70/3.5 is overpriced. I got 3 of them for 30-50 EUR with an extra Minolta body (XD, XDs and X700). I would say that my Rokkor 35-70/3.5 with and without the macro are the same or very close on film. Did not really try it on digital.

The AF was my bargain lens with an Minolta 7000AF for 2990 HUF (approx 10 EUR). In Slovakia and Hungary you can regularly buy it for 20-30 EUR, for which it is an excellent lens Smile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this lens (with macro and not the af one) is very close to the sony full frame fe 28-70mm in sharpness in the center and corner ( some times better in corner than the fe lenses depend on the focal )

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's times like this that I wish there were an Internet compendium of all of _Modern Photography_ magazine's lens test reports, with the lines per millimeter and contrast data. Pop Photo, when they bought out MP, were quite adamantly opposed to continuing the hard number reports, instead preferring the fuzzy IQ stuff they've been doing ever since. Me, I prefer hard numbers.

Anyway, the reason why I even mention this is because one of my all-time favorite 35-to-something lenses is the Canon FD 35-105 f/3.5 (constant aperture) two-ring zoom. I've always felt it was outstanding, and it can still be found on the used market at very low, undiscovered prices. Cool So, what I'm getting at is I'd like to see a numeric comparison between the subject Minolta MD f/3.5 and the Canon FD lens. Far as that goes, I've always thought the Tamron SP 35-80 was a great lens too. The MP numbers are posted for it up at adaptall-2.org, and they are frankly pretty incredible for a zoom.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Significant correction of previous translations:

Am 24MP Vollformat zeigt die MD-III-Version recht ansprechende Leistungen, auch wenn man nicht an die gleichmässig hervorragende Leistung eines MC 1.8/35 mm herankommt: Bei 35mm Brennweite stören in den Ecken des Vollformates die recht augenfälligen chromatischen Aberrationen (CAs), und die Detailschärfe lässt zu wünschen übrig. Allerdings ist die Optik an der A7 wesentlich besser als das um ein vielfaches teurere Zeiss Biogon ZM 2.8/35mm!

On 24MP full frame MD III version is quite attractive benefits, even if one does not reach the uniformly excellent performance of an MC 1.8 / 35 mm: For 35mm focal length interfere in the corners of the full format, the right ocular chromatic aberrations (CAs), and the sharpness of detail left to be desired. However, on a A7, this lens is much better than the many times more expensive Zeiss ZM Biogon 2.8 / 35mm!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolta MD 35-70/3.5 Macro + Ricoh GXR and Sony Nex 5

[more]

Фотографии в альбоме «Minolta 35-70/3.5 Macro», автор serkol64 на Яндекс.Фотках

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fantastic lens , i recently compared both the minolta af 35-70/4 and MD 35-70/3.5 , will post it on mflenses shortly , for now

macro by Abhishek Ray, on Flickr

Untitled by Abhishek Ray, on Flickr

Like a boss by Abhishek Ray, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for my a7 !

MD 3.5/35-70 Macro - 1983 - 7 Blades - MFD 80cm (33cm) - ∅55

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some very nice photos here

I was correct they are slightly better with each newer version here are some resolution charts .....in japanese
but a summary a copy and past

This article was published 1980/Jul, so the result of the first generation 35-70/3.5.
The second generation(no macro) was a bit better, and the third with macro was even
better than the second one IMO. The first two versions were also OEMed for Leica.

link http://www.pbase.com/kkawakami/image/108415876

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may be a little hyped, but the f/3.5s really have excellent optics for vintage zooms. Sharpness isn't mind-blowing, but very good and CAs are very well controlled. Mechanics aren't that good, though. My copies show a little play here and there and the zoom is scratchy on the MD-III.

If you're interested:
Test of the MD-II Zoom Rokkor 35-70 mm f/3.5 (first version)
Test of the MD-III Zoom 35-70 mm f/3.5 (second version)

(both on NEX)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VLR wrote:
They may be a little hyped, but the f/3.5s really have excellent optics for vintage zooms. Sharpness isn't mind-blowing, but very good and CAs are very well controlled. Mechanics aren't that good, though. My copies show a little play here and there and the zoom is scratchy on the MD-III.

If you're interested:
Test of the MD-II Zoom Rokkor 35-70 mm f/3.5 (first version)
Test of the MD-III Zoom 35-70 mm f/3.5 (second version)

(both on NEX)

i don't know abut hyped up but my macro version in macro eserly out resolves my sony nex 16MP sensor
a post i did with photos http://forum.mflenses.com/is-the-rokkor-35-70-f3-5-out-resolving-16mp-t68956.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, one another promo:
Minolta MD 35-70 1:3.5 has been reviewed again. It was a hundred thousandth test-article about subj. There are no any hot news - excellent lens as usual

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Hello, one another promo:
Minolta MD 35-70 1:3.5 has been reviewed again. It was a hundred thousandth test-article about subj. There are no any hot news - excellent lens as usual

Not sure what the relevance is of the tester's convenience/inconvenience with the lens is, in an "objective"(?) review ...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Not sure what the relevance is of the tester's convenience/inconvenience with the lens is, in an "objective"(?) review ...

It's strange that author's personal opinion in review looks like a surprise for you. I can recommend reading dictionaries then

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
Rigel wrote:

It's strange that author's personal opinion in review looks like a surprise for you. I can recommend reading dictionaries then

seriously ? ... and in what way is the tester's mental mood or disposition impacting the quality/characteristics of a lens then? and why should I care for one "...." when the conclusion is 65% "personal emotional feeling" and not "lens evaluation" .... dictionary wise or other? really ? Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, you need to be more careful, I'll add one more link soon - you better not read it right away, or you'll have a heart attack Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:

Thanks for the very good review!

It very much shows my own experience with the Minolta MD Zoom 35-70 3.5 Macro on a Sony FE 24MP Kamera.
I most often use it together with the Minolta MD 75-150 Zoom (an excellent, even slightly better lens).

And yes, most of the time I too prefer to use my primes: MC Rokkor 35 1.8 or MD Rokkor 35 2.8 (last MD Rokkor Version).
MC Rokkor 50 1.4, plain MD 50 2, MC Rokkor 58mm 1.2 and MC Rokkor 85 1.7.

BG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lightdreamer wrote:
I too prefer to use my primes: MC Rokkor 35 1.8 or MD Rokkor 35 2.8 (last MD Rokkor Version).
MC Rokkor 50 1.4, plain MD 50 2, MC Rokkor 58mm 1.2 and MC Rokkor 85 1.7.

BG

Thanks for support,
With your lens list you are welcome to Minolta Collectors Club (of course if you aren't still there) Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me share this comparison too - Minolta MD 35-70mm F3.5 vs. Minolta MD 50mm F1.4 (III) vs. Sony FE 35mm F2.8 ZA Carls Zeiss