Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

NSFW 10 Works of Art
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: NSFW 10 Works of Art Reply with quote

So even though all the boobs below are on sculptures, I wanted to warn you ahead of time in case your company has strict Internet rules. I've decided I really like the de Young Museum and want to go back for a full day. Amazing sculptures and art there, especially in the folk and tribal art categories.

Oh, and there's a real human skull in this post, too.

This is going to be a long post and look at a number of different pieces, so if you're on dial-up or stealing the wireless from someone three doors down, go take a bath or catch a movie while this page loads.

One reason I want to go back is so that I have time to write down or take photos of all the pieces I like. That way some commentary can accompany the images. Where possible, I've added comments and facts. In some cases, I've added 'facts.' The sarcasm quotes on that last one need to be really big and emphasized when your inner voice reads this paragraph.

Gear for almost all of these: Pentax K-7, Takumar 50mm 1:1.4.

Cigar Store Indian. This piece was surprisingly old dating to the late 1800s, I think. And if it was impractical to have a real Indian, the cigar stores had carved ones. The larger the carved Indian, the more prestigious the store. This cigar store Indian was maybe 18 inches tall.

Didn't catch who this was a bust of, but I wasn't displeased with the result.

Look, here is why fireplaces in the 19th century were fabulous. IT has a psychotic buck, two stoned dogs, and a carving of a boar being taken down by a pack of wolves. And it was all hand carved. I would have this in my home, no doubt.

George Washington, first President of the U.S. Here are some facts and 'facts' about President Washington. See if you can distinguish the two.

a- Did not, in fact, chop down a cherry tree.
b- he'd save children, but not the British children.
c- teeth were not actually wooden.
d- 12 stories tall and made of radiation.
e- patrolled the land on a horse made of crystal.

Dalilah, as it's spelled, is a marble statue from the late 18oos by acclaimed sculptor William Wetmore Story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Wetmore_Story. Story sculpted a number of great statues including the Joseph Henry statue at the Smithsonian. This was my favorite statue and not just because it has boobs. This statue has a great amount of detail and the skill required to sculpt it in marble was impressive.

A boxer. I didn't catch the name. The last image is oriented correctly as he's looking at the boxing glove he's reaching for.

Alas, poor Yorick! I knew him, Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy. He hath bore me on his back a thousand times, and now how abhorr'd in my imagination it is!

Juan Munoz, Conversation Piece V (Three Figures), from 2001. I prefer my name for this "Three bean bag people frozen in philosophic debate." Unfortunately, the bean bag people are made of bronze, not bean bags. So don't -- DON'T -- go get some popcorn and toss yourself into one of them expecting to plop down like you're in front of your TV. That actually hurts a lot, especially if you dive head first.

Robert Arneson, Minuteman, 1983. I recall hearing once that this is a statue about nuclear war. I could be wrong, though.

Jose Benito Ortega, Cristo. Painted wood.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skull shot is excellent. Bu the whole set is very nice. Looks like an interesting place to visit. Hope you go back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the pictures too, very focused on the subjects and the choice of processing was really adequate.