Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Through the window
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Through the window Reply with quote

A few months ago I was asked if I would mind taking part in a project to photographically document my adopted town (Faversham). Taking photos of a weekend or during holidays isn't a problem, but during the working week, and commuting to Canterbury, I'm obviously restricted to before and after work. This is okay for some of the year, but over winter lack of light causes problems - it's dark when I leave home and dark when I return to Faversham. To try and get round this I've tried shooting shop window displays from those shops that are still partially lit:

(Nikkor 50mm f2 AI wide open ISO800)

(Nikkor 50mm f1.4 AI wide open ISO800)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like #1, but #2 for me has too shallow a DOF and not strong enough focus subject, plus the detailed texture of the blurred flowers detracts somehow. In #1 the OOF background subjects give depth and motion; in #2 they are just blurred Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this kind of shot !
White balance on #2 is not good (too mucjh yellowing), isn't it ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice shots, the 2 nikkors are good wide open with pleasant bokeh.
white balance is subjective but #2 is maybe too warm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks.

I felt the first one was the more successful of the two - Light levels were such that I didn't have any choice other than to go full aperture on both shots (or go above 800 ISO which is too noisy for my tastes on the D200). The second one would have benefited from a little more depth - it's the Shepherd Neame shop so I went for getting that in focus. As to white balance yes it probably is a touch warm.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard I think you have demonstrated one of the big differences between these two lenses - the OOF rendition on the 2 is better. However, in better light stopped down to f2,8 on both you would see a reversal of the performance in my ho.

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Richard I think you have demonstrated one of the big differences between these two lenses - the OOF rendition on the 2 is better. However, in better light stopped down to f2,8 on both you would see a reversal of the performance in my ho.

patrickh

I think the hops in shot 2 could have done with the f2's rendition whilst the front shoe could have done with the 1.4's sharpness . Maybe the forthcoming f1.8 will be the perfect compromise (or would that make it too bland :lol ). Maybe I need to start carrying multiple 50's with me Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Bishops finger, or as its otherwise known "Nun's Delight" Laughing Do you ask the shop keepers first or do you dive in?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Ah Bishops finger, or as its otherwise known "Nun's Delight" Laughing Do you ask the shop keepers first or do you dive in?

Bob, they're all taken on the way home from work so they're all closed with nobody to ask. I can't see anyone complaining anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one - this time with the new 50mm 1.8 AI :