Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

SUN Optics 200mm f/2.8 (Y/C mount)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: SUN Optics 200mm f/2.8 (Y/C mount) Reply with quote

Found this one by accident. It was an add for a Yashica FX-2 with some lenses, one of the pics showed this lens, there was no particular mention of it. So, i made an offer and the seller agreed!

All parts of this set seem hardly used, if at all..... the SUN lens has a stuck aperture, most probably due to oil, i'll have to open it to be able to shoot some examples stopped down, so all of these are wide open and absolutely unprocessed, just converted RAW to JPG!

I think it is going to be a lot of fun!

The lens on the 5D:
SUN 2.8/200 by René Maly, on Flickr

SUN 2.8/200 test by René Maly, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice test pics !
Especially all wide open...not on purpose Wink

First one is impressive, very sharp center in focus.
Almost no CA on all pics. Some "glow" on picture 3.
Busy bokeh with complex background.

Overall a nice lens, apart "average" bokeh.

Thanks Like 1 small

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting lens, I like the pictures as well, that should be a winner when you close it down one stop.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ppl reported a Soligor 200 2.8 model was this rebranded Sun, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gLOW-x wrote:
Some ppl reported a Soligor 200 2.8 model was this rebranded Sun, too.

I wish the OP would confirm this is actually a lens with the Sun Optical name on it. It would be a rare lens, indeed.
By the picture of the front of the lens it appears to be a Soligor lens made by Sun.
Note the serial number.

The Soligor 200 2.8 was made by Tokina in the mid 70's. Late 70's 200 2.8 was Sun made.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Images wide open look excellent.
Congrats.
I had a Sun 300mm f4.5 sibling to your lens. Stopped down, it was tack sharp with no aberrations.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Laughing Posted January 2015, not replied to until March 2016!

The rare lens that almost got away!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laugh 1 Haha!! Good catch.
A zombie thread got by all of us.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! Isn't it funny how things go....

The lens is long gone, but yes: it was branded SUN. Here are some other (not so good) shots from it:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was it any good ?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
was it any good ?

What you see above is about all i did with it. The aperture was stuck wide-open and at that time i did not have the time to take it to pieces, so i sold it as-is. I had (and have) way too many gear around, didn't want to add another "project" to the list.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Soligor...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: SUN Optics 200mm f/2.8 (Y/C mount) Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Found this one by accident. It was an add for a Yashica FX-2 with some lenses, one of the pics showed this lens, there was no particular mention of it. So, i made an offer and the seller agreed!

All parts of this set seem hardly used, if at all..... the SUN lens has a stuck aperture, most probably due to oil, i'll have to open it to be able to shoot some examples stopped down, so all of these are wide open and absolutely unprocessed, just converted RAW to JPG!

I think it is going to be a lot of fun!

I've got almost exactly the same Sun lens.
The only difference, as far as I can see, is that mine has the "feet distances" in orange color (while yours has them in white)
And the "meter distances" are in white on mine, while on yours they are in yellow/orange (it's not really clear on the pictures).

The serial number of mine also starts with "37". I wonder if this means that the lens was made by Tokina (after Tokina had aquired the Sun Engineering compagny), but they sold them as "Sun"?

My lens had a few issues as well. There is a dent in the aperture ring, so I guess a fall has caused them.
The aperture-ring was almost stuck (due to the dent), the aperture blades went very slowly and did not open (edit, this should be 'CLOSE' instead of 'open') fully either, the whole front was sitting rather wobbly in the housing.
But I was able to fix most of these problems.

It's a very well-constructed lens and the picture-quality is very decent as well (just like yours).

Last edited by Lucse on Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: SUN Optics 200mm f/2.8 (Y/C mount) Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
I've got almost exactly the same Sun lens.
The only difference, as far as I can see, is that mine has the "feet distances" in orange color (while yours has them in white)
And the "meter distances" are in white on mine, while on yours they are in yellow/orange (it's not really clear on the pictures).

The serial number of mine also starts with "37". I wonder if this means that the lens was made by Tokina (after Tokina had aquired the Sun Engineering compagny), but they sold them as "Sun"?

It's a very well-constructed lens and the picture-quality is very decent as well (just like yours).

I've also got one, but in M42 mount, also with a "37xxxxx" serial number with the "feet" in orange and the "metres" in white.

The aperture doesn't close down symmetrically all the way, gets to about f/5.6 then jams a bit and goes a bit "triangular". There is some oil on the blades, so that's probably what's causing the problem.

Bought as "new old stock" a long time ago I admit hat it has been extensively under-used - we'll have to rectify that Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The aperture doesn't close down symmetrically all the way, gets to about f/5.6 then jams a bit and goes a bit "triangular". There is some oil on the blades, so that's probably what's causing the problem.

These aperture issues seem to be a very common problem with this lens. Besides the sticky blades mine didn't fully close and just like yours it didn't stay symmetrical when being closed either.

The fact that all 3 of us in this thread, who own or have owned this lens, are having/had the same problems with it could still just be coincidence I guess... but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have this lens, and also had the sticky aperture problem. Fortunately the lens is very easy to disassemble, so I removed the glass and cleaned the aperture blades with contact cleaner and blew the residue off with low pressure compressed air. It is the same lens as the second version Soligor 200/2.8, with the earlier 'professional' version made by Tokina. As noted by others, Sun seemed to have continued with the same serial # system as Soligor had used for the lens.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: SUN Optics 200mm f/2.8 (Y/C mount) Reply with quote

[quote="Lucse"]
TrueLoveOne wrote:
...(after Tokina had aquired the Sun Engineering compagny), but they sold them as "Sun"?

NEVER NEVER heard about that info .. where did you found it ??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't write that.

It was Lucse.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was indeed me who wrote that.

But it seems that I got the dates wrong as Tokina only aquired Sun engineering compagny in 2008.

Source: https://tokinalens.com/about/history/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lucse wrote:
It was indeed me who wrote that.

But it seems that I got the dates wrong as Tokina only aquired Sun engineering compagny in 2008.

Source: https://tokinalens.com/about/history/

Not the same company. Sun was Sun
Optical, and became part of Goyo Optical.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son owns this lens.
I can't remember which mount but I think it was M42.
I borrowed it once and here are some images from it.
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

Not the same company. Sun was Sun
Optical, and became part of Goyo Optical.

Ok, then it seems that I've got it totally wrong Wink.