Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 9 f2/85 on a Canon 5D3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 9 f2/85 on a Canon 5D3 Reply with quote

I have a few manual lenses, mostly Takumars, but this was taken with a Jupiter 9 f2/85 M39 mount, wide open, the lens is chrome and pretty beat up, I can only adjust aperture with the second ring from the front, the other is too stiff.
But it produces lovely images which is the important thing.
Shot on a Canon 5D3.

Towels on line by Horve, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!
I think this is the first 5DIII image posted here, I'd like to see some other samples from the camera if you have them around, including some 100% crops.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, great detail aparently. A bit hard to focus on my crop-sensored 1000D body.

I guess the lens fully covers full frame sensors which is great. I so want a 5D.. anyone with a cheap Mark I to borrow from? Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow my jaw dropped open when I saw that fantastic image!! Shocked

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerris2 wrote:
Wow my jaw dropped open when I saw that fantastic image!! Shocked

+1 wow !!

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments, I will post some more up at the weekend, here is another one from this lens, Jupiter 9.

Plaque at end of Herring Walk Castlebay by Horve, on Flickr

And one from a Takumar f1.4/50 8 element version, both shot on a Canon 5d3, note this lens hits the mirror at infinity.

Tulips in window. by Horve, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should be annoying fine lenses that hit full-frame body mirrors, a shame. I supose they not only hit the 5D body mirror but all full-frame mirrors?

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great colours and a very good demonstration of the new Canon model Smile

The Takumar 50/1.4 will hit all 5D mirrors, but not those of the Sony full frame models and I'm not sure about the 1DS models (which seem to behave better).

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shots!

I especially love the first one. Beautiful colour, amazing detail and wonderful composition and depth of field used.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
I supose they not only hit the 5D body mirror but all full-frame mirrors?

That depends on the register distance and on the size of the mirror. We're talking a difference of a few tenths of millimeter which do not allow clearing of the mirror on 5D cameras.
It's a distance so small that a simple manufacturing change could solve the problem without the need of redesigning the camera (and in fact a lot of people asked Canon to consider this,
but obviously Canon is not eager to allow for more lenses to be mountable on the 5Ds...)

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't found a single m42 lens that comes close to hitting the sony mirror.

Nice clarity to those images!

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots. Sad to learn that Canon has not solved the mirror hitting problem for the 5Ds.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous shots! Love the jupiter9. Nice to see it on 5d3

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my_photography wrote:
Nice shots. Sad to learn that Canon has not solved the mirror hitting problem for the 5Ds.

Well they don't really have anything to solve right? As long as EF and EF-S mount cameras fit nicely they can simply ignore all "hacks" Canon users try when they use mount adapters which obviously are not endorsed nor supported by Canon.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChromaticAberration wrote:
my_photography wrote:

Well they don't really have anything to solve right? As long as EF and EF-S mount cameras fit nicely they can simply ignore all "hacks" Canon users try when they use mount adapters which obviously are not endorsed nor supported by Canon.

+1
I've never seen a pro on the TV with a Canon body and an adapted or third party lens so obviously Canon doesn't care about this "issue".
If you want to avoid the problem you can either brush the mirror frame a bit or use the lens near infinity and lift the mirror to use it at all distances.
Honestly, Canon hasn't listened to users for much bigger problems or lacks so i can't imagine them rushing or just trying to think of a solution for this.
I'm already happy that the 44mm register distance allows me to use a wide range of lenses (even FD ones, if modified) so i can't really complain.
Everything you can squeeze out of any Canon DSLR (think of magic lantern, for instance) is just a plus, not something you deserve.
Smile

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I posted a list of lenses tested with the 5D3 in this thread http://forum.mflenses.com/any-news-regarding-the-5d-mark-iii-mirror-clearance-t48431,start,15.html hope this helps someone.

I just won a Meyer Optik Gorlitz Orestor 135mm f2.8 on ebay, so I will test that as well and add to list.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Orestor should work, it has no protruding parts at all.

Look forward to seeing it on the 5D3, it's a great lens imho.