Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Astro Berlin Gauss Tachar 32mm F:2 Leica Mount
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Astro Berlin Gauss Tachar 32mm F:2 Leica Mount Reply with quote

Anyone have any info on this lens?
It is rangefinder coupled. Lens mount doesn’t look modified.
Astro Berlin supposedly made custom order LTM lenses, but I cannot find this one anywhere.

Any info anyone? Think it’s the real deal?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspert79 wrote:
It looks like!

a pipe fitting?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The F:2 Gauss-Tachar's are mentioned twice in the Vade Mecum. Pre-WWII in C mount, but also Exacta and Identoscop. And specifically a F:2 32mm in a 1977 company price list.

In case you don't know, the company name is Astro-Gesellschaft Bielicke and Co. The were mostly movie, and later tv lens makers. It may help with the hunt.

Good luck. You might have a rare bird if it's fitted to a stills. The VM mentions they ventured into miniature still formats certainly, but doesn't state which ones.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find! Like 1 small Congrats

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several of these on eBay with what appears to be original apertures, but no focusing - essentially in a barrel. Another on Flickr apparently in RMS mount. Another adapted into Arri Mount in what looks like an original factory job (maybe by a third-party), but the same core lens unit as others. All the Astro Berlin lenses on Collectiblend in m39 mount, come in somewhat regular but nicely finished housings, in black paint or polished alu, maybe some parts nickel-plated, and with distance scales.

This brass lens may be complete in functionality, and it even appears to have a filter-thread cut, but unless there is another example of a lens left in this unfinished, amateur state - or an explanation for the external paint missing, then I would be hesitant to believe it is original. The serial does not really lead me to believe that it may be a prototype.

If I were looking at it to buy, I would say it is a completely functional third-party adaptation, that has been left unfinished. Does it really matter then? Not really, you can always paint it yourself - it still makes images. If an original lens exists, then you will probably be waiting forever to find one, and paying a lot more for it!

I would ask the seller for more information about its origins and perhaps try to barter the price down.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 if you get it, post some pics please!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responses.
Yeah it’s a little strange. I’ve found a reference that Astro Berlin made custom order Leica lenses, but no further elaboration.
It doesn’t look like a haphazard job by some amateur, if it has been converted. I’ve reached out to other people but most cannot give me much info. I think I’m gonna follow through with purchase since price is very right. I figure if it’s nothing, I’ll at least get my money back on it. If it turns out to be well done and I like the images, might make for a fun oddball lens.

Back then such a small Company may habe done the lenses in such a way that it almost seems non-original, but maybe that’s just how it would have turned out in such a low volume? Also found a reference that by serial number this would be a pre war lens, which in theory could be 1937? Either way, I’m intrigued.