Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 SC
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 pm    Post subject: Voigtlander Nokton 40/1.4 SC Reply with quote

The 40mm f1.4 Voigtlander Nokton in Leica M mounting appears to have created especially for one of the Bessa R 35mm film cameras which had a viewfinder optimised for it. The lens seems to have become something of an "orphan", chiefly because no Leica has a 40mm viewfinder frame. Mirrorless camera users who read the often dismissive comments put out on some websites are probably put off by promises of focus shift, field curvature and a lack of contrast compared to other designs. I bought mine a few years ago because the seller had got the mount modified so it brings up the 35mm lens frame on a Leica M, and on the M8 that works fine because the frame lines actually indicate rather less than you actually get.

It works very much like the orignal Leitz 35/1.4 Summilux from the early 1960s, which isn't surprising as the optical layout is exactly the same. If you point it at a test target you'll hardly be impressed at wide apertures, but if you go out and take real life pictures you'll be pleased. It picks up contrast, sharpens up and covers more evenly as you close it down, but it works fine wide open. I've never been troubled by the alleged focus shift.

Pics 1 and 3 were shot at f1.4, the middle one was f2. Pic 1 has some shading done to the corners, it's not the lens vignetting to that extent! Click on images to get a better view.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly a good lens. The bokeh is a little nervous, but I very much like the rendering overall, especially the strong microcontrast and 3d depth.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great lens, yes and compact
Highly recommended !

Mine gets less use since I got the Nokton 1.2/35 and 1.5/50 but still, a very very good little lens !

TFS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Turtle Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting these nice pictures.
40mm is my favorite focal length on 35mm cameras. And the Nokton is one of my favorite lenses, because it's very versatile: wide open it delivers an artsy look with enough sharpness in the center of the frame to make wonderful portraits. Stopped down, it is a very sharp lens with great microcontrast. Lately, I have been using it on a Sony A7 II with a Techart Pro adapter, a highly recommended setting for street photography. If I had to do with only one lens, I think I would pick the 40mm Nokton!

Cheers!

Abbazz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed a very nice lens. However, I'm well served already with the 35mm Ultron and the 50mm Nokton, which are additionally supported by my Bessa R2 which has no framing for 40mm. Therefore 40mm wouldn't add much to my present collection of RF lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a lovely rendering on the last shot! Enjoy the lens.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to read that there are others who like this little lens, and thanks for the kind comments.

I sometimes wonder how much different its 35/1.4 companion might be - that one has the same optical pattern as the first Leitz 35/2 Summicron, 8 elements as opposed to 7 in the contemporary 35/1.4 Summilux (and the 40 Nokton).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me.
Enjoy
Tom