Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar T 135 4.0
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Jena Triotar T 135 4.0 Reply with quote

Well, I've got this one in flea market last Sunday. I was too tired so I thought I shoudnt go, but I didnt do that, lucky.

Here is some samples, wide open.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find with proper PP this lens can be stunning!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great lens.
It can give very convincing 3D effects (with the right composition and light).

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will try a little PP next time. Very Happy
Attila wrote:
Nice find with proper PP this lens can be stunning!

Pentacon 100 is also very good. Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find. It seems increasingly difficult to get anything cheaply now that word has got out.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Nice find. It seems increasingly difficult to get anything cheaply now that word has got out.

Too true! I have noticed about a 35% increase in lens prices on the bay in the last 6 months alone. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup ... it seems today price is higher and higher.
This triotar is my first alu lens got it from "stil12", beautiful lens indeed

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

35%? wow, I've got some cheap lenses in fleabay last month.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some old K10D samples of this nice lens:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use it much but i really like this old thing...
Bought it 35GBP with a stuck focus ring and manage to make it shiny and "like new" again...

Some samples straight out of my old Minolta 7D....
Some with perfectible focusing...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine has been away having extensive fungus cleaned from the glass.
Now back and performs nicely.
Here is the lens

And a sample image:
OH

More images here:
[url]
http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-jena-triotar-4-135-m42-t38129.html[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful Thomas, I love and respect this lens a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imho> triotar=fantastic_lens

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots. I have this lens as well. I must confess I was unimpressed with my test shots, but I was new to this adaptation game at that time and will definitely try it again.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had obtained that leans on the local flea-market. Something around $30. The lenses were perfect, however the external look was not so good.
Was quite surprised by the sharpness on the open. There is some sample, done by it on the FF.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have debating between this and the Sonnar, I think the Sonnar is ahead slightly, anyone have both?

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, they're really quite similar.

Both are okay sharp performers with nice low MFD, don't get confused with rather poor pics shown in this thread, as they usually don't fully show its limits/possibilities (however, you may see some sharp images with well handled sun and contrast here too).

Both can be found cheap or bargain in as-is condition but both very much suffer from helicoid stiffness and, alternatively, haze/fungus and are really hard to dismantle homemade (dirty stiff Zeiss lens is kind of like an Excalibur sword in the stone).

Both have absolutely okay price:performance ratios, thus are very sharp for money they usually cost.

Bokeh nothing special, but quite pleasing, nothing to die for, but really okay, with still some vintage feeling or whatever you guys call it Wink

Marek

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at converting a 135/4 Triotar to LTM once, could not be done with a J-11 mount- was for a friend. I have some more parts lenses now, might pick up one myself to see if it can be converted using a Sankyo mount from a 135/3.5.

I did convert a pre-war CZJ 13.5cm F4 Sonnar to Leica mount using a 1970s J-11 Mount. I use it with a hood, on the M9.

Converted Sonnar by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Both wide-open.

Gunston Hall by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

More here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/90768661@N02/albums/72157678770511203

This uncoated Zeiss lens was originally in Contax RF mount, ~$75; the J-11 was $50 with a Leitz M mount adapter. The Zeiss glass has a nice bloom to it. The J-11 is now in Contax mount. Zeiss did not make many uncoated 13.5cm F4 Sonnars in Leica mount, not sure how many coated 13.5cm F4 Sonnars were made in Leica mount.

Also wide-open. The M9 tries to estimate F-Stop in the EXIF. Shots on manual exposure really mess up the algorithm.

The uncoated optics handled the lighting well. These are straight exports from LR6.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like this lens

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I myself have debating between this and the Sonnar, I think the Sonnar is ahead slightly, anyone have both?

I'll check when i come home - i have a (uncoated) wartime Contax 4/13.5mm Sonnar and a coated post-war CZJ 13.5cm Triotar.
The Sonnar is quite bit smaller than the Triotar, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In M42 and Exakta Jena postwar versions, Sonnar and Triotar are about the same size, in fact, I think they share the same barrels.

Triotar 4/135:

Sonnar 4/135:

I have two Triotars in Exakta and M42, but I don't have an aluminium Sonnar so I can't confirm they are the same side-by-side in my own hands, but they look the same and my later black Sonnar is the same size and weight as my aluminium Triotars.