Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lenses under $100 you'd recommend to new Exakta CLA hobbyist
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Lenses under $100 you'd recommend to new Exakta CLA hobbyist Reply with quote

As I explain in my post below, I'm introducing myself and in the end ask some questions about some lenses.
One guy on eBay is selling a lens that he describes as: Meyer-Optik Gorllitz Telemegor 180mm f5.5 V in Exakta mount
He says there is a little bit of oil on one blade (which you can actually see in one photograph) - I don't know how much this matters or if it could deteriorate and become a problem. The seller really doesn't know that much.

Here is my 'introduction' of myself to the group:
To make it short, I've been unemployed for 3 years and my therapist could see that my face lit up when I talked about these old German cameras like my Leica IIIf RD, my Agfa Record III, and now my three "need CLA's" Exakta bodies.
So I bought ALL of the conceivable tools, the Ultimate Exakta Repair guide by Miles Upton, and I'm ready to go as of today. I don't want to even think about repairing lenses until I get good at repairing/CLA'ing the bodies. I didn't go into this thinking I'd get good enough to sell CLA'd bodies on eBay (even though I have a 100% feedback rating on 1100 transactions). I'm doing this for myself (to begin with) to see if I remain passionate about the cameras even as I have to put a lot of time into working on each one to make it as perfect as possible. The part that makes me most nervous is the shutter replacment - but there is a guy who sells new pairs of shutters if need be.

I have one 50mm 3.5 Carl Zeiss Jena preset lens that is quite sharp and works fine - but i'd like something either around portrait length or wide angle. Fortunately even though one of my bodies does have wrinkled (slightly) shutter curtains it still works fine so I got a decent test roll with the 50mm. I know it's not the best 50mm out there I'm sure. But it will do for now.

I'd like to find one more lens for under $100 (well under if possible).

I also wanted to say hello and introduce myself here - I have been using photo.net in the past for so long I didn't even know there WERE any other active forums.

Hello from Croton on Hudson, NY 10520
Matthew Peretz

Please contact me if you are doing anything like I am doing, can offer advice, or whatever.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome !

Points you raise -

The Meyer 180/5.5 is a preset lens and as such it doesn't matter if there is oil on the blades.

These old lenses are simpler and easier to fix than old SLR's. They are much less complicated.

There are plenty of cheap Japanese lenses in Exakta mount. The German ones go for far too much these days as collectors will pay silly prices even for the most pedestrian German lens. An Exakta T-mount will get you a world of T-mount Japanese lenses, the longer ones (100mm+) are often excellent and competitive with Germany's best. And of course, there is no such thing as a bad 135 !

The T-mount wide angles are usually pretty poor compared to the best German wide angles of the time, but then the prices one would have to pay for any of these German ones are scary. Everybody wants a German wide angle.

Some Japanese lenses, including decent wide angles, are also available in automatic Exakta mount in the Tokina made T4 interchangable mount. The Exakta T4 mount will get you a range of 21mm - 400mm, including three zooms; you will find all of these and their mounts in the Soligor and Vivitar brands. Of this line the 24mm, 28mm are decent, the 35mm is rather fine, the 135's are good (of course), and there are mixed opinions about the longer lenses and the zooms.

For "normals" - 50mm or so - you unfortunately are most likely stuck paying a premium price for a German lens. The cheapest seem to be the Meyers and the Zeiss Pancolars, under whatever names. There is a Mamiya (Prismat) model with an Exakta mount that was sold by Sears that came with a decent 55mm I believe, and if you are lucky you may get one for a song.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very good lens (assuming its in decent condition) and with any luck may be a bargain. This is one of those automatic Tokinas I mentioned above. -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soligor-35mm-f2-8-Wide-Angle-Exakta-Mount-Excellent-in-Box-with-caps-NEW-MINT-/290713284399?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item43afdcaf2f

Just an idea of what to look for.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matthew! You probably know him but in any case: http://www.certo6.com as inspiration.
I find your Exakta bodies preference a fine choice. Stick with it and don't bother with else. On Ebay vintage SLRs and lenses in proper condition are sold separately. Specialize in your niche.