Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Remote Control for my Canon 30D
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Remote Control for my Canon 30D Reply with quote

Hi all,

I dont kow if any of you have ever played with one of this, but I would like to give it a try to do some "time-lapses" with my kit. As such, I would need a timer-control for my 30D, and possible one that doesn´t stop at the 399 picture-taken count. I dont mind if it is not original, as long as it works.

Also, I want to use it to take long time expusore pictures, of course.

Any ideas? Thanks,

Fer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fer
I use the original Canon remote for this type of thing Model TC-80N3. To be honest mine has been used for Long exposure mostly. I did try making some interval shots once however and the remote worked flawlessly but,
the shots did not amount to much Rolling Eyes
The remote is very easy to use, has an LED display, and most important a built in back light for night use.
I would not suggest to buy anything other than Original Canon for this tool.
The first one I paid full retail from B+H for around $100someting dollars.
The second one I won on auction for $38 in new condition.

I hope that helps you.

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Andy.

Question: The original remote control, do you know if it stops at the 399 picture-taken count? As I say, appart from taking long shots at night (I am talking about pictures Wink ) I would probably need to take over those almost 400 pictures.

Thanks,

Fer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fernanrl wrote:
I would need a timer-control for my 30D, and possible one that doesn´t stop at the 399 picture-taken count

you can also use a laptop for remote control & timer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Fer
I just read in the manual for the info you seek.
There is nothing regarding number of frames limit.
I will assume that it is a function of battery life and memory space on your card.
Canon support may have better info.
I do read where different functions can be used together.
For example you can set the timer to do long exposures at intervals and even with a delay using the self time mode.
So all three functions can be used in unison.
I hope that helps you.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Remote control for 30D Reply with quote

Just a follow-up to Andy's message; there is a footnote in the manual (page 32 in my copy) for the TC-80N3 that says "... if you use time interval mode, and leave the exposure count set to 00 (blank display), the number of time interval shootings will be unlimited."

Hope this helps.

Regards

Angus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Angus!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Angus
Welcome to the group!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
fernanrl wrote:
I would need a timer-control for my 30D, and possible one that doesn´t stop at the 399 picture-taken count

you can also use a laptop for remote control & timer

Using laptop or computer for controlling shots is something i would like to try as well..
Have You ever tried it poilu ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dakoo wrote:
Have You ever tried it poilu ?

of course! I buy 2x5m usb and I test it on wasp for 200 shots every 5sec

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

I've lurked here for several months, and chipped in the occasional piece of information, but now I guess I should do a proper introduction, so I'll post a new thread soon!

Apologies if I hijacked your thread Fer.

Regards

Angus