Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MINOLTA MD Rokkor 24-50mm 1:4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: MINOLTA MD Rokkor 24-50mm 1:4 Reply with quote

Hi;

This is my first post on this forum. I searched the forum but didn’t find anything about this lens so I decided to create this topic.

I paid about 85USD for it and it is the most expensive Rokkor I’ve bought after 17/4 and 58/1.2 (Rokkors are very difficult to find in my country but you can buy them very cheap if you can find). The lens seems to be a rare item and there isn’t too much info on the web but you can find a comprehensive review about it on Rokkorfiles web site.

It is somehow big and heavy and uses 72mm filter thread. The size and weight is comparable to the famous Minolta MD 35-70/3.5. here you can see its size compared to MD 35-70/3.5. The lens is at its maximum length at 24mm Focal Length. It collapses towards 35mm and extends again towards 50mm. The front element rotates when focusing so it is difficult to use polarization filters.

I have bought it recently and didn’t have so much time to play with it but from the sample shots I’ve taken I can say it has excellent image quality between 24mm and 35mm (comparable to 35-70) and good image quality between 35mm and 50mm. I try to post some real samples in near future.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MINOLTA MD Rokkor 24-50mm 1:4 Reply with quote

OptiX wrote:
Hi;

This is my first post on this forum. I searched the forum but didn’t find anything about this lens so I decided to create this topic.

I paid about 85USD for it and it is the most expensive rokkor I’ve bought after 17/4 and 58/1.2 (Rokkors are very difficult to find in my country but you can buy them very cheap if you can find). The lens seems to be a rare item and there isn’t too much info on the web but you can find a comprehensive review about it on Rokkorfiles web site.

It is somehow big and heavy and uses 72mm filter thread. The size and weight is comparable to the famous Minolta MD 35-70/3.5. here you can see its size compared to MD 35-70/3.5. The lens is at its maximum length at 24mm Focal Length. It collapses towards 35mm and extends again towards 50mm. The front element rotates when focusing so it is difficult to use polarization filters.

I have bought it recently and didn’t have so much time to play with it but from the sample shots I’ve taken I can say it has excellent image quality between 24mm and 35mm (comparable to 35-70) and good image quality between 35mm and 50mm. I try to post some real samples in near future.

Welcome, your pictures won't show up until you make a second post.
Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MINOLTA MD Rokkor 24-50mm 1:4 Reply with quote

welcome OptiX
have a nice stay with us

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to MFlenses Optix!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Optix,

You have some fine Minolta MD lenses!
On what camera do you use them?

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Welcome Optix,

You have some fine Minolta MD lenses!
On what camera do you use them?

Hi Minolfan;

Sorry for late reply. As my signature shows I use NEX-5N. I was using Minolta X-500 before. BTW here is a sample of the lens output at 50mm and f4. I didn't apply any PP on the picture except -1.5EV exposure compensation and resizing. I've attached a 100% crop also.

The minimum focus distance is about 70cm which is really annoying.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got MDIII version of this zoom - my review is here - it looks like a great travel lens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obligatory links to artaphot:
http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/450-24mm
http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas/323-nex-5n-und-minolta-md-zooms-bei-50mm-teil-iii

And adaptall-2.com has old resolution/contrast figures compared to the Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html

Going by those figures, the corners don't look too impressive but the center looks very good.
Seems like a very useful lens for APS-C.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boris_Akunin wrote:
Obligatory links to artaphot:
http://artaphot.ch/systemuebergreifend/objektive/450-24mm
http://artaphot.ch/sony-nex/altglas/323-nex-5n-und-minolta-md-zooms-bei-50mm-teil-iii

And adaptall-2.com has old resolution/contrast figures compared to the Tamron SP 24-48/3.5-3.8:
http://www.adaptall-2.com/lenses/13A.html

Going by those figures, the corners don't look too impressive but the center looks very good.
Seems like a very useful lens for APS-C.

Generally speaking, i do not recommend the use of vintage MF zooms on 24MP full frame. While good vintage MF primes - especially in the 35mm to 100mm range - have no problems delivering good or even stunning results, most vintage zooms have their distinctive shortcomings:

* size & weight
* poor corner resolution unless f8 or even f11 is used
* CAs
* distortion

Some of these problems are overcome by modern zooms, and for professional work i usually prefer the modern 2.8/16-35mm and 2.8/70-200 zooms.

There are a few vintage zooms, though, i use occasionally:

* Canon nFD 3.5/20-35mm: lightweight alternative to the heavy 2.8/16-35mm lenses
* Nikkor AiS 3.5/35-70mm with 62mm filter thread: nearly distortion free (<1% over the entire range!), good corners, no CAs
* Canon nFD 4/80-200mm L: exceptional color correction even at f4, but f8 is required for perfectly sharp corners. Similar performance as the Canon EF 4/70-200mm L
* Zeiss CY 4/80-200mm: exceptional corner perfromance even at f8, but visible CAs

Of course, the later Leica zooms are nearly perfect, but i do not consider them to be really "vintage".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Head to head' the fighting on infinity Comparison of MD 24-50mm 1:4 with some primes - Minolta MD 24/2.8 - 28/2.8 - 35/2.8 - 50/1.4. I hope this article can helps to understand the difference.
I was impressed about the surprise on 24mm - Zoom is better than popular MD 24mm F2.8. In terms of sharpness, of course

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tf wrote:
'Head to head' the fighting on infinity Comparison of MD 24-50mm 1:4 with some primes - Minolta MD 24/2.8 - 28/2.8 - 35/2.8 - 50/1.4. I hope this article can helps to understand the difference.
I was impressed about the surprise on 24mm - Zoom is better than popular MD 24mm F2.8. In terms of sharpness, of course

very nice lens at 24 indeed. do have any other 24 prime lens to compare with that?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raxar wrote:
very nice lens at 24 indeed. do have any other 24 prime lens to compare with that?

haven't, to my regret