Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4 Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been wanting the Vivitar Series 1 90-180 for a while, but it has been hard to find one affordable. I ended up getting the Tamron SP for less than $100. According to adaptall website they pretty much do the same thing. My question is this: is there a reason for the price disparity between these two lenses? The Vivtar Series 1 can go as high as $500, while the Tamron can go as low as $30. Is this due to rarity and collector push of the price up or is it due to difference in performance? I haven't received the Tamron yet and I never used the Vivitar, so I am curious if I should keep my eye open ALSO on the vivitar or I am fine with the Tamron SP.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar may better, I had in past twice I won't it take again or Tamron SP zooms either. I not miss them, from Tamron SP in this focal length I did like best 70-210 f3.5 constant zoom lens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Vivitar may better, I had in past twice I won't it take again or Tamron SP zooms either. I not miss them, from Tamron SP in this focal length I did like best 70-210 f3.5 constant zoom lens.

I saw earlier comments you made on older threads and you were pretty happy with the Tamrons. What made you change your mind? Which lenses are you a champion of now?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited

Last edited by bernhardas on Mon May 09, 2016 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Macaroons Batman!
You have already bought the Tamron lens. It gets fine ratings in reviews. For its time it was a genius of a design with excellent ergonomics.
I'm sure that you will already know from your own research that it is optimised for sharpness between 5 and 10 feet.
It has virtually no CA.
Now if you use it in circumstances that show it off to advantage, you should be - not simply content - but a very happy snapper.
Yes there are other zooms that perform better outside these ranges, but you must have known that when you purchased the lens.
Use it where its strengths can shine and enjoy it.
OH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernhardas wrote:
see my two cents here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/what-a-difference-a-hand-makes-vivitar-90-180-4-5-macro-t60263,highlight,%
2Bvivitar+%2B180.html

Thanks for the link. Actually, it is the difference between this and the Tamron SP 70-210 I am curious about. The Tamron SP is similar in purpose to the Vivitar. The price difference between them is pretty wide.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Holy Macaroons Batman!
You have already bought the Tamron lens. It gets fine ratings in reviews. For its time it was a genius of a design with excellent ergonomics.
I'm sure that you will already know from your own research that it is optimised for sharpness between 5 and 10 feet.
It has virtually no CA.
Now if you use it in circumstances that show it off to advantage, you should be - not simply content - but a very happy snapper.
Yes there are other zooms that perform better outside these ranges, but you must have known that when you purchased the lens.
Use it where its strengths can shine and enjoy it.
OH

Yikes! It almost sounds like I bought me a super rare gem. It is pretty common lens for under $50 - no?? O.o

At least that is what I paid for mine *shrug*.

I have no desire to use it for infinity or long range photography. I bought specifically for portraits and macro work.
I already knew of its strength and limitations. I am a Tamron collector, so given a chance between the Vivitar and Tamron, I picked the Tamron. However, the reason I started the thread was because I am confused by the huge price disparity between the two lenses. Vivitar sells for hundreds of dollars and I bought my Tamron for $50.

Last edited by maldaye on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the Tamron SP 70-210 f3.5 19AH lens maybe a month ago but didn't have time to evaluate or to make pictures as it was very cold and it is still cold out there however I read here that this Tamron is superior to Vivitar's...

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that the Tamron sp 70-210/3.5 19AH had terrible purple fringing at wider apertures on digital.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Attila wrote:

I saw earlier comments you made on older threads and you were pretty happy with the Tamrons. What made you change your mind? Which lenses are you a champion of now?

Several yrs left certainly I have more experience than before, with my actual knowledge I use only Konica UC Hexanon or Contax zooms, but I rather use two camera with two primes. Old zooms are surely not on same level than primes, in my guess moderns too, I did never use modern top zooms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I found that the Tamron sp 70-210/3.5 19AH had terrible purple fringing at wider apertures on digital.

I got it easily with Planar 85mm f1.4 too and saw it even on ZE lens so if only CA issue APO or older simplier lens way to go or learn about post process. CA is removable well in most cases.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I got it easily with Planar 85mm f1.4 too and saw it even on ZE lens so if only CA issue APO or older simplier lens way to go or learn about post process. CA is removable well in most cases.

I agree usually, but I really struggled with both copies of the 19AH I owned. The Tamron SP 60-300mm is also terrible for purple fringing until you stop down to f/7.1. I tried to shoot birds in front of the sea, but after removing the thick purple outline I just had grey outline instead Sad

The lenses are both sharp though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Attila wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

I agree usually, but I really struggled with both copies of the 19AH I owned. The Tamron SP 60-300mm is also terrible for purple fringing until you stop down to f/7.1. I tried to shoot birds in front of the sea, but after removing the thick purple outline I just had grey outline instead Sad

The lenses are both sharp though.

I recall Ken Rockwell mentioning that when getting rid of purple fringing it turns to gray first then he gets rid of it after that. I have to look back at the book and find the exact technique if you are interested.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Attila wrote:

Several yrs left certainly I have more experience than before, with my actual knowledge I use only Konica UC Hexanon or Contax zooms, but I rather use two camera with two primes. Old zooms are surely not on same level than primes, in my guess moderns too, I did never use modern top zooms.

I prefer primes to zooms any day. I have no experience with Hexanon or Contax lenses as I use a Nikon F mount. I suspect unless I change camera bodies getting those lenses to work on my D800 will be an uphill battle. Amazing lenses exist, but unless I can use them, they are not even on my radar of possibilities.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAART wrote:
I bought the Tamron SP 70-210 f3.5 19AH lens maybe a month ago but didn't have time to evaluate or to make pictures as it was very cold and it is still cold out there however I read here that this Tamron is superior to Vivitar's...

http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/19AH.html

Actually, I don't own the 19AH, mine is 3.5-4, which is a different lens. The 19AH would be a general tele-zoom. Mine is used specifically for macro work. It is optimized for 5-10 feet only. I wouldn't want to test it as a general zoom. If I was going to pit zooms against each other within Tamron I might pit the 19AH against the 80-200 2.8. I read that this is one of the best manual zooms in that range.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:

I have no desire to use it for infinity or long range photography. I bought specifically for portraits and macro work.
I already knew of its strength and limitations. I am a Tamron collector, so given a chance between the Vivitar and Tamron, I picked the Tamron. However, the reason I started the thread was because I am confused by the huge price disparity between the two lenses. Vivitar sells for hundreds of dollars and I bought my Tamron for $50.

So, you already read that :
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/52A.html
I have 3 200mm macro 1:2 : The Tamron 52A, the Konica UC, & the Nikkor prime.
The Vivitar slipped between my fingers several times, so I don't know, but the current price, IMHO, is for hype & rarity.
(Read again Adapall-2).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4 Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Hi,

I've been wanting the Vivitar Series 1 90-180 for a while, but it has been hard to find one affordable. I ended up getting the Tamron SP for less than $100. According to adaptall website they pretty much do the same thing. My question is this: is there a reason for the price disparity between these two lenses? The Vivtar Series 1 can go as high as $500, while the Tamron can go as low as $30. Is this due to rarity and collector push of the price up or is it due to difference in performance? I haven't received the Tamron yet and I never used the Vivitar, so I am curious if I should keep my eye open ALSO on the vivitar or I am fine with the Tamron SP.

I don't know that the Viv is now that expensive. I paid less than half just three years ago. Hardly used it since it was so heavy I ended up grabbing smaller lenses all the time.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two penn'orth.

When I worked in the trade Tamrons were seen as superior to Vivitar, and almost as good as camera manufacturers lenses. They were pretty expensive then too. We were told that Vivitar contracted out to several manufacturers and the lenses could vay in quality. On the other hand Tamron made their own lenses to a higher standard.

In the 70's and 80's peoples conceptions of equipment were different than now.

I think modern zooms are far better than old zooms (with few exceptions) in my experience. The kit lenses on my Nikon and NEX are superb. As is my Sigma 80-300DG

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Attila wrote:

I did improve my knowledge , I have more experience now, no zooms, even best ones , not same than good primes.

These days I use extensively Carl Zeiss T* Contax lenses, Konica Hexanons and Minolta MD lenses.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4 Reply with quote

maldaye wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit late with this, but I thought I would volunteer the thought that perhaps the reason why the Vivitar 90-180 is so much more expensive than the Tamron (rarity and cult following aside) is because it's a flat-fleld zoom, i.e. it's been designed to correct field curvature, and shine at close focusing distances, like all macro lenses. I don't know much about Tamron lenses, but I suspect the Tamron zoom is not a flat-field.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4 Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:
maldaye wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit late with this, but I thought I would volunteer the thought that perhaps the reason why the Vivitar 90-180 is so much more expensive than the Tamron (rarity and cult following aside) is because it's a flat-fleld zoom, i.e. it's been designed to correct field curvature, and shine at close focusing distances, like all macro lenses. I don't know much about Tamron lenses, but I suspect the Tamron zoom is not a flat-field.

You are correct, I agree completely with your comments. And yes, the Tamron zoom is not flat field.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 90-180 vs Tamron SP 70-210 3.5-4 Reply with quote

konicamera wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add with regards to current pricing... it's rare yes, but also cult hype, and reseller frenzy.
I saw one in a pawn shop, which they picked up from an old lady after her husband died. They insisted it was worth over $450, even though no one showed interest. Justification was ebay with $450+ buy it now. Even though there were samples on ebay for $200.
Go figure.

I wasn't there for it, it was a prime lens I was picking up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read on more than one occasion that the Vivitar S1 90-180 was a very expensive lens to produce, that Vivitar originally intended it for medical work where they could justify the high price, but that the market was soft or some such, and so they tried to make a go of it on the consumer market, but that they were losing money with each one they sold.

I also read the Modern Photography test report for the S1 90-180, which included listings of the resolution and contrast, and after reading the test report, honestly, I was wondering what all the excitement was about. I just found this chart on the web, which was taken directly from the June, 1978 edition of Modern Photography:

Its best resolution numbers weren't even 55 lppmm, which, even by the 1980s when I was paying a lot of attention to these MP tests, I would have regarded as soft. Okay, granted, these are macro resolutions, but even so, Tamron's 90mm f/2.5 macro clearly outperforms it -- and it can be had for about 1/5 the price typically.

Back when I was a camera dealer some 25 years ago, I owned the S1 90-180 in Nikon mount. Very briefly. I bought it from a walk-in for a good price, and I planned on keeping it because even back then I'd heard how phenomenal the lens was. But I wasn't able to hang onto it. No, some guy offered me way too much money for it, and being in the business and all, I couldn't say no, so I sold it before I even had a chance to try it out. Oh well. But I've tried out my Tamron 90/2.5 plenty and now I have a Micro Nikkor 200/4, so frankly, given the choice between the Vivitar and the two macros mentioned above, I have no use for such an overpriced optic that probably will underperform the macro lenses I already own.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

even though being late I would add my experiences:
I had the Tamron 3.5-4/70-210
Ergonomics and mechanical quality were great!
Optical performance not as good as my manual Sigma 3.5-4.5/70-210.
(and far from the level of my Tamron 2.8/70-200 AF)

It was better than some other lenses I had.
Nevertheless it had to go in the bay....

I also had the Tamron 3.5/70-210 - even though not the same time.
Being superb on film slr it showed some weird results on dslr. Some blue fringing, different results depending on the distance of the subject in focus. Being big and heavy and only max. 1 f-stop faster than the Sigma mentioned above (which was relevant in the old film days but not that much with dslr that perform quite well even at ISO 1600) it also had to go.

BTW:
I love the Tamron SP lenses!
Tamron really made some jewels of lenses and I still have quite a lot of them.
Still searching for a good copy of the 2.8/35-105 (or 28-105) with adaptall-mount.....
My favourits are the 90mm macro lenses and the SP 5.6/300 (which give my superb results - although some members here are not happy with their copies....