Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Computar 2.8 28mm M42
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Computar 2.8 28mm M42 Reply with quote

This is a very surprising little lens, no idea who made it, small for a 28mm and feels very well made but my, what a sharp thing it is and no CA, contrast and colours are good too.

Last edited by iangreenhalgh1 on Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What PP did you do on the shots, Ian? The clock has a weird halo which doesn't look like normal sharpening.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None apart from resize and sharpen.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unexpected good results! I know the brand only in TV-lenses.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Unexpected good results! I know the brand only in TV-lenses.

Yes, I have only seen Computar name on cctv lenses in c-mount.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent indeed!

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say that I think the lens looks like a good'n.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skida wrote:
What PP did you do on the shots, Ian? The clock has a weird halo which doesn't look like normal sharpening.

This is weird -I went back and looked for the halo because I didn't notice it when I looked first of all, and I had trouble seeing any halo at all - until I leaned back in my chair which meant I was looking through the long distance part of my varifocal glasses. And as I moved back and forwards the halo came and went. Confused

Perhaps it's time for new glasses ?

That's a nice sharp lens Ian, out to the edges as well.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy selling a few of them on ebay right now, price is a bit steep though at 28 quid plus postage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMPUTAR-28mm-F2-8-SCREW-M42-LENS-LENS-VIVITAR-QUALITY-MADE-JAPAN-/320897567429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ab6fc4ac5#ht_15607wt_1163

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
skida wrote:

This is weird -I went back and looked for the halo because I didn't notice it when I looked first of all, and I had trouble seeing any halo at all - until I leaned back in my chair which meant I was looking through the long distance part of my varifocal glasses. And as I moved back and forwards the halo came and went. Confused

Perhaps it's time for new glasses ?

That's a nice sharp lens Ian, out to the edges as well.

I can see something of a halo going on, but I don't know why. I think the clock shot is at f4, even at 1/4000 ISO200 it was too bright for f2.8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: BNIB Cmputar 28mm f2.8 M42 for $16 shipped on ebay Reply with quote

I took a chance and ordered this lens on ebay and it is indeed the same lens you describe - M42 mount. This is not my ebay listing - $16 shipped.

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good price, hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi snaimpally & welcome!
That little Computar is an interesting lens;
I am very pleased with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great to me. I even tried researching a bit Computar lenses. Apparently some LF computar lenses were made by Kowa.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Computar may be a trade name of Kowa, not sure.

I have shot some BW film with this lens recently, it does well but there is some vignetting at f2.8 and f4 that largely goes away at 5.6, sharpness is great even to the corners when stopped down.

Ilford FP4 in Microdol-X:

This was f4 as the light was failing and you can see the vignetting at the top of the frame:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's a trade name of CBC corp. http://www.cbc.co.jp/en/service/optics/index.html, but the way they worded their homepage, I think it's logical to infer that CBC does not manufacture the lenses itself, but provides specifications to the actual manufacturers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fermy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's a trade name of CBC corp. , but the way they worded their homepage, I think it's logical to infer that CBC does not manufacture the lenses itself, but provides specifications to the actual manufacturers.

Thanks to all here that brought this lens to my attention.

If you care to view more of this lens I have started a thread here:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corto-PA wrote:
fermy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

It's a trade name of CBC corp. http://www.cbc.co.jp/en/service/optics/index.html, but the way they worded their homepage, I think it's logical to infer that CBC does not manufacture the lenses itself, but provides specifications to the actual manufacturers.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/215564-computar-2-8-28mm-m42-samples-thoughts.html

Welcome to the forum!

Your first post can't contain links or images, as an antispam measure. I've quoted the link so it should work now.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like the Tokina SL-28.
Front glass looks the same with the same color reflection.
Front ring is the same
Photos remind me of it.

The Tokina was still sold new just five or six years ago, it was an inexpensive lens, something like 80 euros or so.
Of course this price is very cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you have one in the flesh, so to speak, they are pretty different to the Sl28, sadly I just gave away my last copy of the Tokina otherwise I could have taken a side-by-side comparison shot. The Computar is smaller in diameter and they really aren't alike apart from some superficial similarities.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computar made one of the best 24x36mm enlarging lenses - at least according a big test with lense like the Apo Rodagon 50/2.8N, Nikkor EL 50/2.8 and such.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computars are all made by Kowa as far as I know
At least Computar is their brandname for TV lenses (similar like Cosmicar by Pentax)

Lens has an very unusual interesting character. Very rich fine detail for such a cheap lens.

Here are more offers:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/COMPUTAR-2-8-28-M42-28mm-Weitwinkel-6348-/271156818676?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item3f2234b2f4 16€ + shipment
http://www.ebay.de/itm/COMPUTAR-2-8-28-M42-28mm-Weitwinkel-6350-/281065520266?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Objektive&hash=item4170cf7c8a 35€ + shipment

ZoneV wrote:
Computar made one of the best 24x36mm enlarging lenses - at least according a big test with lense like the Apo Rodagon 50/2.8N, Nikkor EL 50/2.8 and such.

Could you name a source?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I know - working as a machine vision lens expert - Computar and Kowa sell very different lenses.

Still it is possible that Kowa produce OEM lenses for Computar - but different ones than their own. I don´t think so.

Enlarger lens tests:
http://ctein.com/PostExposure2ndIllustrated.pdf
page 77

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large format Computars are made by Kowa. I've never seen a Computar SLR lens other than this 28mm. Never seen a Computar enlarger lens either, but have seen a few Kowas, I think the Hoya ELs are Kowa made too, they look the same.

The confusion seems to arise when we consider the c-mount Computars, there doesn't seem to be much consistency in those, but you could also say the same about other brands of C mount lens.

Kowa made the early Miranda SLR lenses, I had the 1.9/50, very very solidly built lens, never tried it as the aperture blades had an oil slick on them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzywuzzy wrote:
Corto-PA wrote:
fermy wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/215564-computar-2-8-28mm-m42-samples-thoughts.html

Welcome to the forum!

Your first post can't contain links or images, as an antispam measure. I've quoted the link so it should work now.

Computar lens on Pentax Forum is made by Kobori / Tefnon. It does seem quite different compared to Ian's model though.