Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Front element diameter of 50mm's
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Front element diameter of 50mm's Reply with quote

I just noticed how huge Konica Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 is, compared to Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4.
Is it something that has to do with optical design? The front element on the Pentax has around 36mm diameter, but the Konica has 44mm! That's the same as does Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 have...Where does then all the f/ stop go for the konica lens? Smile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look through front of wide open unmounted uncapped lenses -- clear view diameter should be identical in both lenses of equal f/#.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also see the Sigma 50mm f/1.4… 77mm filter threads. =)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigma 50 1.4 is completely different design from all old 50 1.4s. The sigma has so many optical elements inside and it is very huge. Also they say actually it is 45mm lens not 50mm.
Most of the old 50 1.4 are all the same 7 lenses 6 groups planar type, pentax have tried always to be the smallest which is not bad, but gives some problems - most of them are so small that the front element is not covered good so flares and lack of contrast are guaranteed without proper hood. I don't have an idea how the konika will behave and what is it's story. If it has that big front element i must be different in something.