Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Hot Lens" Takumars..which ones?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: "Hot Lens" Takumars..which ones? Reply with quote

I've read that only the older Auto-Tak (8 element [and not 7 element: Super Tack, S.-M.-C, SMC)] 50/1.4 and the 30/2 are hot but i've seen 55 1/8 being 'tested' and passing (hot hot hot) with glowing colors Wink ).
How do we know what's really what?
I'm interested in a 50 1/4 (and a 300/4). Is there any (M42) version 50/1.4 that is not a Hot lens? I am assuming/hoping that the (M42)300/4 does not come in Hot lens in any version.?.
Thanks,
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on 1st hand measurements:

- At least some 7-element 50mm f/1.4 S-M-C Takumars are radioactive.
- At least some 55/1.8 S-M-C Takumars are radioactive
- At least some older 55/1.8 Takumars (zebra version) are not radioactive

I've read that the early 50/1.4 8-element Super-Takumar is not radioactive, and that the 50/1.4 SMC Takumar is radioactive. The radioactive 50/1.4 Takumars are among the more radioactive lenses that I've measured, but I dont have any Medium or large format lenses (Aero Ektars, for example).

Here's a video where someone measures radioactivity (or lack of it) from some assorted Takumars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZeqOwv00jI

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all the Super and S-M-C 50/1.4's (7-element) are, I understand. They suffer from the browning or yellowing, which is caused by radioactivity. The early 8-element Super Takumar is rather rare.

I rather like the idea they are radioactive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
I rather like the idea they are radioactive.

+1 Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Paul A

The previous forum threads are at http://forum.mflenses.com/fs.php?sw=radioactive

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that my S-M-C 50mm f/1.4, SMC 50mm f/1.4, S-M-C 55mm f/1.8, and Super 55mm f/2 are all radioactive.

If it really matters to you, I suggest the EBC Fujinon 50mm f/1.4. The EBC version is not radioactive, nor is the new style non-EBC with black aperture ring. (Only the old-style non-EBC with silver-coloured aperture ring is radioactive.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: thanx guys...also SMC 50 1.4 vs Hexanon 50 1.4.... Reply with quote

i called a local fellow selling some SMC Taks of all sizes(of which i'm interested in the 300 f/4 and the 50 1.4)...i mentioned I had some Konica and he said he did too (but not listed).
He has a 50 1.4 AR.
I imagine the SMC Tak is better bokeh (8 blades vs 6) but how about contrast/color/sharpness?
Also..I have a Hexanon 57mm 1.2 that is a "Hot" lens I'm sure but I can not find thorium/lanthanum info about the Konicas like I can about the Taks.
Is the Hexanon 50 1.4 a nuke too? I know it is a much later lens than the 57 1.2/57 1.4 but still in the days of Thorium, no?
Thanks again,
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe i just read a whole thread Orio has started in 2007 about radioactive lenses, and he actually said the exact same thing i wondered today about storing lenses in your house.

well when i finished reading that thread i remembered that Today(!) I discovered an old lens shop (when i thought there where only two in my city) and i talked to the owner, so the owner is 80+ years old, he owns that store for about 50 years if not more, and the store is Packed from buttom up with lenses... i cant even imagine how many of those are radioactive.... so yeah.. something to think about.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 pm    Post subject: SMC Tak radioactive Reply with quote

After reading this forum I decided to measure the radioactivity of my SMC Tak f1.4 50mm sn 7357201 (m42 mount). The rear element reads 527 McRh averaging 2 samples @ 30sec ea. with the Geiger-Mueller tube approx 3/8" from the glass. The counter housing prevented me from getting any closer. The front element registers about 117 McHr. As reference the background reading is 4 - 7 McRh.
In any case these levels are extremely low. A Coleman lantern mantle will produce a reading of over 350McRh. As far as "hot" lenses these are only luke warm but great performers. I have several other lenses that produce interesting reading also.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: thanx guys...also SMC 50 1.4 vs Hexanon 50 1.4.... Reply with quote

Paul A wrote:
i called a local fellow selling some SMC Taks of all sizes(of which i'm interested in the 300 f/4 and the 50 1.4)...i mentioned I had some Konica and he said he did too (but not listed).
He has a 50 1.4 AR.
I imagine the SMC Tak is better bokeh (8 blades vs 6) but how about contrast/color/sharpness?
Also..I have a Hexanon 57mm 1.2 that is a "Hot" lens I'm sure but I can not find thorium/lanthanum info about the Konicas like I can about the Taks.
Is the Hexanon 50 1.4 a nuke too? I know it is a much later lens than the 57 1.2/57 1.4 but still in the days of Thorium, no?
Thanks again,
Paul

My Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 registers nothing over the normal background level for both the front & back elements

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: thanx guys...also SMC 50 1.4 vs Hexanon 50 1.4.... Reply with quote

[quote="JBruja"]
Paul A wrote:
He has a 50 1.4 AR.
Thanks again,
Paul

"My Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 registers nothing over the normal background level for both the front & back elements"
ahh Sweet.. thanks JBruja
BTW some say these hot lenses of ours are no worse than eating a banana...
next time you feel like sweeping one your lenses go ahead and do a banana too will ya? Razz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: thanx guys...also SMC 50 1.4 vs Hexanon 50 1.4.... Reply with quote

[quote="Paul A"]
JBruja wrote:
Paul A wrote:
He has a 50 1.4 AR.
Thanks again,
Paul

"My Hexanon AR 50mm f1.4 registers nothing over the normal background level for both the front & back elements"
ahh Sweet.. thanks JBruja
BTW some say these hot lenses of ours are no worse than eating a banana...
next time you feel like sweeping one your lenses go ahead and do a banana too will ya? Razz

The bananas are just ripening now so I swept one from the local store and came up with only 9 McRh. HOWEVER a mango which my wife picked up yesterday came in at 13 McRh !! WOW !! still nothing. There's not much else to do here at 5:30AM.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jbruja.
BTW-it must be on the other side of Canada where sheep live a worried life. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 50/1.4 S-M-C Tak does suffer yellowing which I can clear with UV, but my 55/1.8 S-M-C doesn't suffer at all, so I'm not sure that one is radioactive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
My 50/1.4 S-M-C Tak does suffer yellowing which I can clear with UV, but my 55/1.8 S-M-C doesn't suffer at all, so I'm not sure that one is radioactive.

Not all radioactive lenses seem to turn yellow. Examples I have are the Olympus 50/1.4 (early), and the S-M-C 55/1.8

If you look at section 2) of this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s58y/6802092736/in/photostream

the S-M-C 55/1.8 and the Olympus 50/1.4 emit only about 1/5 the gamma radioactivity of the S-M-C 50/1.4 -- measured at some distance from the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Super-Takumar is not radioactive. Early and rare 50 1.4 version.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TLN wrote:
My Super-Takumar is not radioactive. Early and rare 50 1.4 version.

Could you post a picture of the lens in case someone wants to look for this specific version? =)

How did measure the radioactivity?