Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Coco - Voigtlander Nokton 40mm Classic F1.4 [NEX5n]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Coco - Voigtlander Nokton 40mm Classic F1.4 [NEX5n] Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I'm from Malaysia. First time posting in this forum. Hope to learn from everyone here. Had just started using my NEX5n with manual lenses recently. Found great fun in doing this with such a small camera & lens package!

Coco by Sham Kien Yee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Coco - Voigtlander Nokton 40mm Classic F1.4 [NEX5n] Reply with quote

welcome kysham
great portraits!
pics didn't appear in your first post for anti-spam

Last edited by poilu on Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, OK. Thanks for the headsup, poilu. I was beginning to wonder why my photos were not showing up. I thought I had made some mistakes somewhere along the line.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series, congratulations.
I like the last one most.

What part of Malaysia are you from? I backpacked in your country for 6 weeks and it was my first serious introduction into photography. I have some very fond memories from there, especially from Borneo.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wellcome kysham and fantastic shots!

Regards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.

fotomachi : I'm from Kota Kinabalu, which is at the tip of Borneo (we call that the "Dog Head"). I'm sure you must have had a great time shooting landscapes here! Anyway, just to refresh your memory on Borneo, here is one photo of the beautiful sunsets here. This was shot with my NEX5n as well, coupled to the Voigtlander Ultra-Wide Heliar 12mm F5.6 Aspherical:

Sunset by Sham Kien Yee, on Flickr

note: I don't have the ultra wide Heliar. It was on loan to me to test by the shop selling it here in Kota Kinabalu for a short period (for review).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice beginning on the forum, your portraits are great and the picture of the sunset is indeed beautiful!
I was also in your country (Borneo/sabah) for a long backpacked trip quite a long time ago (almost 15 years Embarassed ), that's my best trip for sure...What an amazing country, amazing fauna and flora (I remember the first time we saw the Orangutan in the jungle, it will stay in my mind for ever....) and of course amazing friendly peoples as well!
Anyway, welcome on the forum kysham!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome indeed. I just got the Nex 5N although I have been using MF lenses for a long time, and I can tell you that the little Nex is a real pleasure, once you get used to it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to have you aboard! i have been reading many posts from a countryman of yours, robin wong, on his many part review of the upcoming olympus om-d.

excellent excellent shots! just wonderful work, thank you, really enjoyed each of them.
tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant shots for the first few posts here. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a winner with the first shot in this series and welcome to the board

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent portraits and nice landscape.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice portraits and landscape there.

Say hello to my favourite part of Asia from me - Sabah and Kota Kinabalu! Fantastic place and fantastic people. I'm sure you won't have any trouble finding interesting things to photograph (be it people, close up nature or landscape!).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, I like your pictures, very beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! As some of you guys had remarked, Sabah indeed have plenty of interesting places & people to photography. However, I shot majority of them with my DSLR and not the NEX5n, which I had only purchased late last year, and only started using with a manual focus lens early March 2012. I don't think I should be posting those photos up, so perhaps I will have to take more photos with the NEX5n & my only manual lens at the moment. Embarassed

Here is some more of Coco:

I found that the Voigtlander already started performing admirably at F2.0. When wide open, it tends to have a soft glow to it. It may seem nice, but I rather have tack sharp files which I could add the glow later in post processing. Still learning to set the aperture and manual focus, after years of pampering with autofocus offered by conventional DSLR. M-mount lenses are a bit more quirky for me because the aperture control ring is in front of the focus ring. I'm more used to the focus ring in front. But I really love what this small little package of NEX5n + Voigtlander Nokton 40mm F1.4 Classic is able to achieve. Something that could very well rival the output from my DSLR!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice portraits, I like the first series and the first photo of the second series.
Which version is your Nokton 40mm., single or multi coated?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Nice portraits, I like the first series and the first photo of the second series.
Which version is your Nokton 40mm., single or multi coated?

I'm not sure which version it is. But this is the lens I got, coupled to my NEX5n:

Nex5n + Adapter + NOKTON CLASSIC by Sham Kien Yee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last in the second series a lot. Or maybe that's just the look I'm used to girls giving me.

Actually, the second in the last series and the first in the first are my favorites. In both of those she's actively engaged with the camera and, by proxy, the viewer. The last one remains great and, I think, is fashion-marketing-caliber. Also, it sets apart from the others with furniture in that the pose complements the chair and the chair complements her pose. In the shot with the bed, for instance, the dresser distracts me. For the same reason that in the second shot of the second series, the two different opening width between the Venetian blinds is distract. That, and she's off-center of the wall space between them. (This is why I don't shoot people photos: By the time I've finished freaking out about the background and impossible amounts of symmetry, they've gotten bored and moved on with their lives.) In the first of the first series, I love how the box acts as a frame for the whole shot.

In the very last photo, I like how the logo is dead-level. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
I like the last in the second series a lot. Or maybe that's just the look I'm used to girls giving me.

Actually, the second in the last series and the first in the first are my favorites. In both of those she's actively engaged with the camera and, by proxy, the viewer. The last one remains great and, I think, is fashion-marketing-caliber. Also, it sets apart from the others with furniture in that the pose complements the chair and the chair complements her pose. In the shot with the bed, for instance, the dresser distracts me. For the same reason that in the second shot of the second series, the two different opening width between the Venetian blinds is distract. That, and she's off-center of the wall space between them. (This is why I don't shoot people photos: By the time I've finished freaking out about the background and impossible amounts of symmetry, they've gotten bored and moved on with their lives.) In the first of the first series, I love how the box acts as a frame for the whole shot.

In the very last photo, I like how the logo is dead-level. Very Happy

Fantastic feedback! You are a source of great & constructive feedback and I truly admire that. I agree with your points about the distracting backgrounds too. Indeed shooting people are rather challenging because I have to deal with "live" subjects that could actually talk back to me in a language I understand ("... but I don't like to pose like this because it makes me look fat" although, in all honesty, the pose was gorgeous, etc). But it was fun too when I get very supportive and interactive models to work with. Coco is currently joining a local beauty pageant here in Kota Kinabalu. Hope she fares well in it.

I can't understand your last comment on the logo is dead-level though.... Did you mean the Voigtlander logo on the lens cap?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome!
I particularly like the make-up of your model. The blue color fit the dress and the dress's dark color matches the eyes and hair of Coco.
Well done! Who commited such a thing?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arnsiou wrote:
Hi and welcome!
I particularly like the make-up of your model. The blue color fit the dress and the dress's dark color matches the eyes and hair of Coco.
Well done! Who commited such a thing?

Thanks for the compliments. The make-up was done by a local make-up artist. Basically we came up with the theme and the make-up will be done in accordance to that theme.