Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Alternative to the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Alternative to the Kiron 105mm f2.8 Macro Reply with quote

Hi guys!

As some of you know, I recently got lucky and bought a mint Kiron 105mm for a mere 59€. I enjoyed the performance of the lens but it is sooo heavy and unbalanced on the Samsung NX11, that I'm now thinking about making money with it and getting a different Macro in the 100mm range. I would like a macro which is smaller and lighter and thus fits better to my NX11.

Now, as the Kiron is kind of a legend for it's performance, which Macro would be a worthy replacement in a lighter body? I looked at the Minolta 100mm f3.5 Macro and the Pentax 100mm f4 Macro, which both seem to be considerably smaller!

How do they compare or are there other choices you would recommend?

Cheers,

Karhallarn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 90mm f2.8 made by komine light small and excellent and goes to 1:1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Smc tak 100/4 very much. Don't know if ot's smaller or lighter than the kiron, though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aanything wrote:
I like the Smc tak 100/4 very much. Don't know if ot's smaller or lighter than the kiron, though.

yes it is, i got them both

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:

+1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the Kiron lens at all , but I have got the Minolta 100mm f3.5 Macro, which is no lightweight. So far I have only used it as a 100mm lens on a film Minolta XD7, and it's a great lens.

But, I think that to get the true macro from it the lens has to be mounted on an extender, Minolta certainly made one for this lens ( and it's successor ) but I haven't got it. My lens came in a job lot of camera gear so I wasn't actually buying that lens. There was an aftermarket extender with it, but I haven't tried that yet.

I'm sure one of the Minolta enthusiasts will enlighten us, because I'd like to know for sure as well. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Not great wide open though. Tamron is better for this.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
But, I think that to get the true macro from it the lens has to be mounted on an extender, Minolta certainly made one for this lens ( and it's successor ) but I haven't got it.

The lens was sold, together with a sturdy extender tube to get 1:1 that had a tripod screwmount. Pity you did not find that too.
I did purchase the lens new in the seventies so I have the set completed. Great lens but no lightweight!

Last edited by Minolfan on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
Lloydy wrote:
But, I think that to get the true macro from it the lens has to be mounted on an extender, Minolta certainly made one for this lens ( and it's successor ) but I haven't got it.

The lens was sold, together with an sturdy extender tube to get 1:1 that had a tripod screwmount. Pity you did not find that too.
I did purchase the lens new in the seventies so I have the set completed. Great lens but no lihgtweight!

That's as I thought. The one that came with all the Minolta gear is a Telemore 95 2 made by Komura Lens. Which by all accounts is very average, it's also a X2 converter.

I would like to get the right Minolta one if possible, if you have the correct details / model number of it I would appreciate that information. And if possible a picture of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 90mm f2.8 is not light and small. It's 580gr v 640 for Kiron and just a little bit shorter. It's a substitute for Kiron, but it does not substantially improve in size/weight department. If you want small and light longer macro your options are Cosina 100mm/f3.5 (also known as Vivitar, Soligor, and by a dozen of other names) and Sigma 90mm/f2.8.

Both are good lenses and 1:2 macros. They are not substitutes for Kiron, they and Kiron are like fish and fowl. As a tripod macro Kiron will walk over them. As a field macro, I like them much better than Kiron, because they are really small and light, around 350gr and half the bulk, good short teles, short focus throw perfect for quick focusing.

If you are interested, I can sell either of the above light macros for 100 Euros and Soligor 90mm/f2.5 (same lens as above mentioned Vivitar 90mm/f2.8 ) for 120. I am way overstocked on macros (I also have Kiron and 4 50-55mm macros).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro goes to 1:2, weighs 460g (with Nikon Adaptall-2 mount).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
Tamron SP 90/2.5 Macro goes to 1:2, weighs 460g (with Nikon Adaptall-2 mount).

With extender around 700g

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the big input!

1:2 Macro is absolutely sufficient for the walk around Macro lens and my Style! 1:1 is only used on a tripod in my case and in this setup the weight and an extension tube would be absolutely fine!

I bought the Kiron because it was hell of a bargain and because my 50mm Minolta is a little short at times!

When I summon your thought, the best options for size and weight would be the Pentax 100mm f4 and the Tamron 90mm f2.5.

As I'm still thinking about getting a K20D as a second camera, how big is the difference between the Pentax and the Tamron?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a Panagor PMC 90mm 2.8 macro lens for $80 that does true 1:1 macro. I don't find it heavy at all. I looked it up and it apparently weighs 510 grams.

I haven't had a chance to download and view the first test shots. They look nice on the camera screen, but pics often do, so until I can get them on the computer I won't know for sure.

I wasn't even looking for a macro lens, I just stumbled across it and for the price figured I'd give it a try. I've been happy with my regular lenses and extension tubes for macro shots. But of course you lose the ability to take regular shots without the inconvenience of removing the tubes first.

Once I get some sample shots from the Panagor, I'll share them on the forum.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the Tamron suffered purple flare when stopped down on digital.