Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lake Crescent Morning - A Difficult Image
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Lake Crescent Morning - A Difficult Image Reply with quote

No, not exactly a technically difficult image, but I had to sacrifice my dry clothes to get the shot!

I was driving to the Hoh Rain Forest via Port Angeles, and along Lake Crescent before dawn. When I reached the west end of the lake, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw an orange and purple starting to form.

I knew that these things only last for minutes at the most, so I quickly parked off the shoulder of the road, and grabbed my tripod and Canon AE-1 out of the trunk.

I had to drop down a steep bank to get to the lakeshore...well, this was the hard part. I slipped and slid down the bank in a sort of "controlled slide" and that was okay. But then, I did an uncoordinated trip over a small log beside a mudhole, and went HEAD FIRST into the water! Shocked

My "human reaction" was to save the camera, and I held the camera and tripod high, even as I was taking the fall. So, all it got was some splash water rather than total immersion! Whew!

I got in position, fired off three bracketed shots, and SURE ENOUGH the light faded away.

Sometimes you have to work for the shot. Confused Shocked Very Happy I got back to the car and drove in my underwear with my pants and shirt tied to the rearview mirror. They were dry by the time I got to the Hoh valley.

Canon AE-1
Canon FD 28/2.8
Exposure unrecorded
Kodachrome 64

Lake Crescent Morning

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Bravo!!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Attila and Seymour!

Hey, the link is broken, would love to see the image!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very moody sunset, this one would deserve a larger size, as the clouds at the feet of the mountain are a bit sacrificed here.

-

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, that's a great picture.
I like it a lot.
It worthed diving through that mud.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely worth the drenching Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely colours, depth - the amount of time when the colours are at their peak is very short.

And a great story! Very resilient to just strip off and dry your clothes in the wind from the car Very Happy

The combination of sunset and water reflections to mirror it gives a nice composition. I was playing with that effect last weekend, but didn't post the shots here because I needed a wide angle and my only wide is AF.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, do you have that one at a higher resolution? I'd love it as a background on my laptop ... obviously you would want to control your high-res images but it would be for personal use and not further distributed. pm me if you would like to (and if not, no worries).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Laurence for sharing with us this nice photo
really a dreamy wonderful landscape

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisLilley wrote:
Actually, do you have that one at a higher resolution? I'd love it as a background on my laptop ... obviously you would want to control your high-res images but it would be for personal use and not further distributed. pm me if you would like to (and if not, no worries).

Don't trust him!!!
I bet that he already found a buyer Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Lake Crescent Morning - A Difficult Image Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:
Lake Crescent Morning

All I can say : OMG ! Shocked

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful colours, I find the tree silhouette dominates too much though and the railing bottom right could be cloned out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a feast of colour. Glad all you got was a soaking. Worth it though (easy for the rest of us to say). Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymore wrote:
Link corrected Larry...

An outstanding image, Chris. You've captured the "feel" of the mountainside rising so eloquently above the lake, and then the misty background tree is a perfect touch. It's almost like a perfect template for a business card!