Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

1-2 yrs expired chemicals use
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: 1-2 yrs expired chemicals use Reply with quote

What is your experience with 1-2 years expired chemicals still closed in original bottles, never opened?
Do you need to make times longer when using them? And by how much, on average?
(I know it's a trial and error thing... I'm just trying to start testing from an average point).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it will depend on the type of chemical. Stop bath, humectant and probably fixer and (some) toners will be probably just fine. Developers can also be fine or useless. Just try it with an unimportant roll.

In my experience, if the bottles are completely air-free, the chemicals will be just fine for many months (or even years) after the expiration date, even if previously opened and partly used. Rodinal will last (almost) forever.

Please, take my advice with a pinch of salt, it could be wrong for you!

Javier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Javier!
I read some on the net, and apparently many people agrees that bottles of developer that were never opened and still factory airtight will work acceptably well even after expiration date. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wupdigoj wrote:
I suppose it will depend on the type of chemical. Stop bath, humectant and probably fixer and (some) toners will be probably just fine. Developers can also be fine or useless. Just try it with an unimportant roll.

In my experience, if the bottles are completely air-free, the chemicals will be just fine for many months (or even years) after the expiration date, even if previously opened and partly used. Rodinal will last (almost) forever.

Please, take my advice with a pinch of salt, it could be wrong for you!

Javier

+1 I did use successfully 10yrs expired C41 chemical but had to find with sulfur on film surface 1-2 yrs no matter I think.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As Attila said, even many years above the expiration date should be no problem with unopened bottles as long as long as they were not stored at high temperatures on an attic etc. or exposed to sun.

These chemicals are not radioactive etc., they won't destroy them self
When stored cold, artight, without sun, in PTFE or glas bottles with good stoppers, maybe even 100 years are no problem.
It's like with wine Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile I'll make sure not to drink them with roast Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Thanks! Smile I'll make sure not to drink them with roast Very Happy

Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chemicals can expire, I tried using a 40 year old box of Ilford Hyfin developer that you make up from powder, it was all still sealed but didn't work at all.

The 20 year old box of Microphen I had did work however.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bunch of Dektol, fixer, and D-76 that expired in the mid-1980s and it works just fine. Use as directed. One issue with the developers: If they are brown, they work well, but oxidize rapidly. The containers need to be cracked open every few days to replenish the air supply removed by the oxidation. This keeps them from collapsing and cracking.