Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

No fooling: Modern Photography March 1978 Equipment Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: No fooling: Modern Photography March 1978 Equipment Reviews Reply with quote

As there's always skepticism on this topic, I figure I should post the Modern Photography magazine review of the Richoh XR2 from March 1978. See, that's one of two credible and authoritative sources for the idea that the first set of XR Rikenons were in fact made by Asahi Pentax. While I was scanning, I figured it's April Fools so I might as well scan the entire test review section of the magazine, as there are some interesting lenses included.

I've posted the 1979 Popular Photo review of the XR2 and lenses here
http://forum.mflenses.com/ricoh-xr-2-camera-review-1979-t38145.html
and here
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=38144

Two interesting things - one, that Popular actually printed more technical detail and two, that by 1979 the 50mm at least was no longer from Asahi.

Anyway, on to the reviews.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Ricoh XR2 test review Modern Photography Reply with quote

Ricoh XR2 test review March 1978 Modern Photography
XR Rikenon 50mm f/1.7 lens

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon Lens Tests 1978 Reply with quote

1978 March Modern Photography lens test:
28mm f/3.5 XR Rikenon
35mm f/2.8 XR Rikenon
135mm f/2.8 XR Rikenon
200mm f/4 XR Rikenon

The 200mm/4 is the same as the M series Pentax, the others are the same as the K series Pentax lenses. However the review hedges a bit by saying not all the lens surfaces have the SMC coatings on the Rikenons.

EPOI Color analyzer, 40-80mm f2.8 MC Zoom Rokkor-x with unusual zooming

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: 16mm f/2.8, 18mm f/4 Distagons tested Reply with quote

March 1978 lens tests in Modern Photography magazine:
16mm f/2.8 Zeiss F-Distagon Fisheye
18mm f/4 Distagon For Contax / Yashica

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: 39-80mm Sigma Mini Zoom test 1978 Reply with quote

March 1978 Modern Photography lens test
39-80mm Sigma-XQ Mini Zoom f/3.5

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: No Fooling: Modern Photography Test Reports 1978 Reply with quote

A careful reading of the text certainly states, that in the author's opinion, the tested lenses are made by Pentax and they are not multi-coated on every surface. That tells me that the lenses were manufactured to a lower price point to satisfy Ricoh's market segment. In the early to mid 1980's Ricoh began sourcing lenses from Cosina and Sigma. The Sigma 18mm f2.8 comes to mind ( a very rare and excellent lense) that is available in both Ricoh and Sigma badging (has built-in petal shaped lens hood). I wonder if Ricoh was still sourcing some of their lenses from Pentax at this time? During the 1980's Pentax, unlike the other Japanese camera makers, read Nikon and Canon, was very liberal in licensing their K-mount specifications to both third-party lens makers and rival camera makers. The excellence of the K-mount design is demonstrated by it's wide acceptance and adaptability. Also, I wonder if Ricoh's decision to buy Pentax, was in some measure, due to loyalty to Pentax for licensing their technology to Ricoh, and not a strict business decision?