Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dismantle a Tamron 01F ...and clean it
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Dismantle a Tamron 01F ...and clean it Reply with quote

I've got 3 01F and two of them have some troubles on the lenses, they look cloudy and photographs become soft.

I have been trying for a long time to dissasemble the worst of them since i have nothing to loose, but I still was stopped by the last ring

few times ago i bought a wrench for lenses and decided to go on the dissasembling, and finally i succeed today Smile

the last ring on the right was a nightmare to unscrew !

the two optic elements on the right are glued together and they are clean.

This is the third (still from right) that has some bad stuff on it, all the other elements are clean.

Last edited by Nelson on Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any advice ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If that's the cemented front group you've shown, you may be dealing with element separation/de-lamination.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew G. wrote:
If that's the cemented front group you've shown, you may be dealing with element separation/de-lamination.

sorry i do not understand

the part i am showing is the third one from the right

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am still looking for some advices... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried cleaning it with the usual things - cold cream or alcohol ? If you have, and the pictures show the lens after cleaning then I would think the glass has been etched by the fungus, I have a very nice Rokkor 135 that has one element that looks exactly like that one of yours, and it's ruined. Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummm
yes i already cleaned it with alcohol... Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is probably haze caused by vaporized and re-condensed lubricant.

Some other things to try -

- cold cream (used for removing cosmetics)
- dishwashing soap
- lighter fluid (naptha)

I suspect the reason cold cream works pretty well

Cold Cream - http://www.ponds.com/product/detail/95877/cold-cream-cleanser

is because it contains mineral oil, which can be a solvent for oil and wax, and also -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just tryied demake up and cream for hands, not for to long but just to see if there is an influence...

i looks like there is no change

it is disapointing because when glass is wet, it looks so nice Smile but when it dryies marks appear again

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After you have tried everything else and there is no other hope at all,

this will certainly fix it. Polish the lens with this -

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/05100-05101.html

This will remove the haze for sure. But it will also remove the coating. So make sure its hopeless first.

I have tried this on some lenses which were hopeless cases - one was an internal element in a 75-260 Vivitar zoom just like your case - and it does work.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if its really hopeless, and you can consider paying for shipping costs, i can offer a polish - hand made, with a glass polisher used in the glass industry, since i have a friend working there and he can supply me with many solutions i may need regarding to lenses.
again - this would probably remove any or most coatings that are on the surface. (if the damage is only on one side of the lens then this side will loose its coatings) and ofc im offering this free of charge.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally i have reassembled the 01F, the lenses are better, still not perfect but the converter can be used.

This morning i oppened my second one, there was some haze on a lens, i clean it with "dishsoap" and now it is fine

I am happy Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:
well if its really hopeless, and you can consider paying for shipping costs, i can offer a polish - hand made, with a glass polisher used in the glass industry, since i have a friend working there and he can supply me with many solutions i may need regarding to lenses.
again - this would probably remove any or most coatings that are on the surface. (if the damage is only on one side of the lens then this side will loose its coatings) and ofc im offering this free of charge.

Generous offer thank you! I keep in mind it.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smoli4 wrote:

sorry to not having answered before.

THANKS A LOT !
But i do not want to make people loose their time.
Thoses lenses are toys for me, i can take pictures without them, so cleaning them is part of the play.

But if one day one of my best lenses has a problem I may need some help

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late answer, but efficient products : first alcohol with an old toothbrush, second and last step, acetone with a simple cloth.
And your old and dirty lens will be as new.
I saved more than twelve old near dead lenses with this method.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: I'm in trouble Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought from EBAY a 2x teleconverter 01F (my first bad deal, in some years). Unfortunately the lens came with haze (most likely fungus).

Can you explain me how you managed to disassemble your lens? Do you have any tip on how to remove the screw on the right? The lens wrench just seems not enough!

Regards,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck screws are the most common and most annoying problem in camera repair.

There are several useful tactics to unstick screws - this is my usual program, in order -

- Use a penetrating oil meant to unstick screws, like WD-40, but there are many brands. Don't use too much, you really dont want this stuff penetrating everywhere in the lens.
- Use a soldering iron to heat up the screw. The differential expansion will very often loosen it.
- Put a screwdriver that fits snugly on the screw head (so it wont get deformed) and hit the end of the screwdriver several sharp blows.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01F are easy to disasemble
the haze is surely in the back elements
you just have to unscrew the back ring

I succeed my second just unscrewing it
First one was fully disasembeld, cause it didn't now and the back ring was very hard to unscrew !

you can try to warm it with hairdyer
Hold firmly the 01F when you will unscrew the ring in order not to damage the ring

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

just an addendum to this topic.

I have also ended up with a couple of 01F's that show exactly the same problem as described by the OP. I suspect a particular aging issue with the glass/coating (or st). Like the OP I have tried cleaning: lens cleaner, alcohol, acetone.. no luck.

Something to watch out for with these TC's.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how I did the job:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonbou wrote:
This is how I did the job:

The first post of any new user doesn't allow for pictures...
So here you have them.

Saludos.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted early on in this topic and since then I have acquired another 01F ( I have a good one already ) with the same fungus and haze as those pictured. I also struggled to take it apart, and when I succeeded the element was beyond cleaning - badly etched - so I removed all the glass and it's now an extension tube.

But, I think the threaded ring that is glued on so tight is that way to set the distance of the elements, so it has to go back on at exactly the same place it was. I might be wrong, but that's how it looked to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I have the same issue as the OP; bought on eBay and didn't spot the haze. It's not always visible just by holding lens up to a window. I used an LED torch to highlight it (shone obliquely). I should have done that on day 1. Too late to return item so I need to fix it.
I've read all these posts and they are very helpful. Problem is that I can't view any of the attachments. Is that a browser issue?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of the pictures in old topics are gone, there was a server crash a while back and the links to pictures were broken.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm gonna dig up this zombie thread again....

I just got an 01F that actually has clean glass, *but* mine arrived with the element unit slightly loose and it had backed out of the body threads to the point of interfering with the aperture mechanism on a Minolta MD Adaptall 2 mount. Does anyone have one of these that is in original (never disassembled) condition that they can measure the element holder position on, so that I can be certain that I have the elements correctly positioned in this teleconverter?

Thanks in advance!