Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fungus or Coating problem?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Fungus or Coating problem? Reply with quote

I just saw on ebay some pictures of a lens with some spots. Is this fungus or a coating problem? The spots are between the 2 glued lens elements..:

http://www.iscanmanuals.com/ebay/jlbeek/03102010pic56.jpg

http://www.iscanmanuals.com/ebay/jlbeek/03102010pic55.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If the spots are between two glued lens elements, it's unlikely to be a fungus or coating issue ...
I would say, instead, an adhesive issue (although it's hard to say just looking at the pictures) ...

My 2c ...

Other opinions ?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion they look like fungus, specially the spot just on the lower left of the white circle below "munchen" has a fungus like pattern.

This week I cleaned a nikon lens that look very much like this.

But like indianadinos said not very easy to know for sure by looking at the pictures.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I just heard from a former employee of Kilfitt, it is indeed fungus, eating the Canada Balm between the lenses. He says, nothing one can do :=(
(besides keeping it dry)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in such a case is truly an adhesive issue ...

If you feel comfortable with mechanics (and if the lens is offered really cheap), you could buy it and try to fix it ...
It's not really easy to separate the elements for gluing them back again, but it could be worth the price if the lens
is a really good performer ...

My 2c ...