Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me choose - Takumar, Zenitar - Acros 100 - Gaf L-ES
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Help me choose - Takumar, Zenitar - Acros 100 - Gaf L-ES Reply with quote

I have 2 sets of images taken with the S-M-C Takumar 2/35mm. I posted one of pictures in one of the sets before but there was another that I came pretty close to showing instead. Maybe people can weigh in on which one they like best and why? And I'll throw in some other images taken on the same roll with the MC Zenitar-M 1.7/50mm, just for kicks.
Set 1, Choice 1:

Set 1, Choice 2:

Set 2, Choice 1:

Set 2, Choice 2:

Still with Takumar:

Now with Zenitar:

Enjoy and thanks!
~Marc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, great job with the film developing, and the girl makes for
beautiful subject matter.

Set 1, #2, far more interesting comp, her expression, and exposure

Set 2, #2, as above, even though the face is soft-focused.

I like the one where she's sitting on the rail with her knees together, but I'd clone out or crop
(same frame ratio) the stuff in the upper left corner, distracting.

I like the roots comp just after that one, well caught!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much. I really enjoy Acros. It has all the qualities I liked about Delta and it's actually a bit cheaper.
I developed in Xtol 1:1 and scanned on the Epson v700.
I really was attempting to get the best out of a lot difficult exposures. The exposure lock feature that the Gaf L-ES (chinon memotron) has is indispensable to me.

The combo between the gaf and takumar is currently my favorite walk-around combo. It's certainly not compact but that doesn't bother me. The clarity of some of these prints is amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What people like is purely subjective. After looking at these again, I like the Spanish moss
pic following the roots comp.

The last two I think are fails due to the low contrast, lack of blacks, the girl is all but
camouflaged. Shooting color and her wearing bright colors might have saved them, but
I'd go with less-busy backgrounds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely buy a frame for choice 2, Set 1.