Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Who knows about the minolta MD 75-200mm f4.5 lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:13 am    Post subject: Who knows about the minolta MD 75-200mm f4.5 lens? Reply with quote

I just picked up a group of lenses for my minolta XD11. These included the 24mm f2.8 MC Rokkor SI, 50mm Rokkor-x f1.4, 35-70mm rokkor-x f3.5 zoom and a minolta MD 75-200mm f4.5 zoom lens. I know with the 50mm and the 35-70mm there is tonnes of information, reviews, and sample pictures. The 24mm MC rokkor SI has little information other then the fact it weighs 410grams, has some kind of isotope coatings, and it has the same floating lens design of the more common 24mm MD lens. the MD 75-200mm f4.5 seems to be a bit of a lost sheep as I have not been able to find anything out about this particular lens. From my physical examination of the lens it has nice large elements front and rear, built very well with one-touch zoom action. I have not had a chance to go out shooting with any of these new lenses and was curious if anyone on this forum has any insight as to if this is a lens worth keeping or one to pass on.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Who knows about the minolta MD 75-200mm f4.5 lens? Reply with quote

Winks wrote:
I just picked up a group of lenses for my minolta XD11. These included the 24mm f2.8 MC Rokkor SI, 50mm Rokkor-x f1.4, 35-70mm rokkor-x f3.5 zoom and a minolta MD 75-200mm f4.5 zoom lens. I know with the 50mm and the 35-70mm there is tonnes of information, reviews, and sample pictures. The 24mm MC rokkor SI has little information other then the fact it weighs 410grams, has some kind of isotope coatings, and it has the same floating lens design of the more common 24mm MD lens. the MD 75-200mm f4.5 seems to be a bit of a lost sheep as I have not been able to find anything out about this particular lens. From my physical examination of the lens it has nice large elements front and rear, built very well with one-touch zoom action. I have not had a chance to go out shooting with any of these new lenses and was curious if anyone on this forum has any insight as to if this is a lens worth keeping or one to pass on.

Thanks

Keep them all. The Minolta 24mm 2.8 was also sold as a Leica, as was the 35-70 3.5, and your 75-200 4.5. the 75-200 4.5 has the same IQ as the Minolta Beercan 70-210 f4, and the MD 70-210 f4, and the Leica version. The 75-200 might be a hair sharper.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know about the md 75-200/4.5, for Minolta AF there are 75-200/4.5 that are pretty sharp. Oddly, sold under discount non-brand names like ozunon and - oh well I forgot the others.

These can be pretty sharp but I have a "70-210" in that exact "pipe" style that seems to be loaded with CA. Maybe they put other glass in it and stretched the limits too much.

I don't know whether they share the same optics. I'd like to know. There's a large front element, and rear element of 4 lenses (which I had to clean, yeah)

there's also a 28-80 in that "black pipe", "AUTO FOCUS ZOOM" written on it style, which may be nice as well, but which I don't own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, to complete the confusion, i think it was the 75-200/4.5 that was available as AF for MD lens. With three AAA in the "ears" on the pipe.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could only find one sample of the 70-200 f4.5 on the forum. Rolf has the Leica version.

http://forum.mflenses.com/classic-landscape-shot-with-leica-vario-elmar-r-4-5-75-200mm-t34420,highlight,%2Bleica+%2Br+%2B75.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

That shot of Rolf's is amazing. I am going to have to take the lens for a spin and see how it performs. I would love to keep all the lenses but I am running out of room and my girlfriend is not so happy with me keeping like 6 lenses, 2 slr bodies, and a rangefinder at her place. I have to choose if I want to keep this 75-200 f4.5 and sell my minolta MC Rokkor 200 f4.5. I love the look and feel of the MC, that build quality is amazing. But the truth is I don't need so many in that focal length as I rarely use the 200 as it stands.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting info Walter, I might just have to track down these Minoltas that were sold as Leicas.