Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Step Down ring for lens reversal
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Step Down ring for lens reversal Reply with quote

Looking through my bag of tricks, I found a step down ring with 52mm and 49mm threads, so I have worked out I can put a reversed standard lens on the front of one of my telephoto primes or zooms. The trouble is I don't know anything about this technique for taking close-ups. I am especially puzzled about calculating exposures when the light has to travel through two diaphragms. Can anyone give me enlightenment about using this equipment combination? Which lens does the focusing?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Step Down ring for lens reversal Reply with quote

skida wrote:
Looking through my bag of tricks, I found a step down ring with 52mm and 49mm threads, so I have worked out I can put a reversed standard lens on the front of one of my telephoto primes or zooms. The trouble is I don't know anything about this technique for taking close-ups. I am especially puzzled about calculating exposures when the light has to travel through two diaphragms. Can anyone give me enlightenment about using this equipment combination? Which lens does the focusing?

Thank you for commenting on my bug photos! I use a reversed 50/1.7 lens on a 90/2.8 lens indeed. The reversed one stays open all the time, it's more or less used as a very strong diopter on top of the macro lens I use. With such strong magnification rates, there is a lot of light needed, also because you will need an f-stop around f/16 or so to have at least a bit of DoF..... It can be done in available light, but you will need bright sunlight....

The lens mounted on the body does the focussing as well. Just consider the reversed lens as a magnification glass in front of your regular lens. I can't help you with the calculation part, I am a noob about that. Just trial and error here...Surprised But probably there is some info on the net about that...

If you consider flash light, you can use an external flash with diffuser as well as the pop-up flash with a tubular diffuser. I wrote on both topics on my blog, you could check that. http://renseblog.stellaria.nl/#home Please, feel free to ask if there are still questions!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the reply and the link to your fascinating blog. It looks like I have to do much experimentation, so I may wait until I get my DSLR rather than a lot of trial and error on film.