Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bought a wide angel AF lens today - Panasonic Lumix 14mm !
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:17 am    Post subject: Bought a wide angel AF lens today - Panasonic Lumix 14mm ! Reply with quote

Panny 14mm - 160 USD NEW!

Plenty left here Wink

Cheap and good wide angel for m43. You can't really find any good used mf alternatives for m43 sensor (only normal to tele when mounted).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A wide angel eh? Is that one that's overweight? Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on my wish list for next month Cool

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
A wide angel eh? Is that one that's overweight? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ha ha, and two times as well Embarassed
Overweight is not a problem when having wings Wink Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good lens - there are some also selling here Click here to see on Ebay on a similar price.
Very small, very light, very sharp and with low CA. On my E-p2 it looks as a body cap.

Only thing is that due to too wide angle you need to align the body properly as the buildings start to look distorted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations!

Indeed, wide angle lenses are hard to find for smaller sensors.
I do not have a real MF wide angle for my NEX as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this lens and it is nice indeed. I paid $20 more a few months ago for mine also on ebay. They tend to take about a month to get here from S. Korea but worth the wait for the savings.

It is great for landscapes and for wide angle shots (big groups/ big rooms) but just a little too wide for portrait work imho.

The 20-25mm range is much better for portraits and general photography, but alas also at least twice as much for the MFT lenses which is why I have gone MF in this area.

That said I am really looking forward to taking the 14mm with me to the grand canyon and sedona in a month's time as it s/b just about perfect for that, especially when combined with a cpl filter - I am using a step down ring to mount my 52mm CPL on this lens and it works well and really helps with landscapes in bright sunlight.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panny 14mm & 20mm + 2-3 compact mf lenses (m39, c-mount etc.) from 28mm and up would make a perfect light weight m43 combo package Very Happy

Store price here in Norway for the 14mm is x 3.5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
I have one on my wish list for next month Cool

Me too. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
Panny 14mm & 20mm + 2-3 compact mf lenses (m39, c-mount etc.) from 28mm and up would make a perfect light weight m43 combo package Very Happy

Store price here in Norway for the 14mm is x 3.5

If money were no object I would have in my bag the Panasonic 14mm f2.5, Panasonic/Leica 25mm f1.4, Olympus 45mm f1.8, and Olympus 75-300mm f 4.8-6.7... might also through in the Panasonic 45-200mm as it is an excellent lens but I think it would be redundant and add weight when one would still want to carry the 75-300mm for the extra length.

I would skip the 20mm as I think the 25mm is so far superior (from what I have seen) and there isn't much advantage between 25mm and 20mm.

Since money is an object I have the lenses listed in my signature.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, this is what I do not like about the µ4/3 cams: a 14mm (!) lens equals a 28mm wide angle in format 135 - not very spectacular.
I even kind of miss an extreme wide angle for my NEX cams. The 2.8/16 also is "only" a 24mm equivalent. What I want is a 12mm lens.

I know, I know I could get the wide angle converter which is said to be good. But there is a gut feeling that I prefer a genuine lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
BTW, this is what I do not like about the µ4/3 cams: a 14mm (!) lens equals a 28mm wide angle in format 135 - not very spectacular.
I even kind of miss an extreme wide angle for my NEX cams. The 2.8/16 also is "only" a 24mm equivalent. What I want is a 12mm lens.

I know, I know I could get the wide angle converter which is said to be good. But there is a gut feeling that I prefer a genuine lens.

I agree that the range of lenses to choose from for wide angle on MFT is a bummer, to go wider than a 14mm you need to start looking at a fisheye.

For me this is more of an issue when it comes to finding a 50mm FOV equivalent for general use. The 20mm and 25mm are expensive as are good quality mf lenses in that same focal length. Whereas on the larger format cameras there are many excellent options for a 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramcewan wrote:
For me this is more of an issue when it comes to finding a 50mm FOV equivalent for general use. The 20mm and 25mm are expensive as are good quality mf lenses in that same focal length. Whereas on the larger format cameras there are many excellent options for a 50mm lens.
Agreed. However, for me personally the Pentax-110 24mm set permanently to f5.6 is proving to be a real winner. It would be nice to have a variable aperture, but because of the price of the "proper" 25mm I'm prepared to compromise.

I'm also loving the 18mm version of the little Pentax, set at the same aperture, as a general use lens. The IQ is proving to be way above expectations Cool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
I have the supplementary lenses in the previous guise that they sold for the IS range of 35mm SLR. The 0.8x still amazes me, but it is HUGE Shocked I think the current version is much smaller, though. I'm happy with supplementary lenses, as I was brought up with them on Rollei.

...and my photography doesn't warrant the best possible lenses like yours does Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
ramcewan wrote:
Agreed. However, for me personally the Pentax-110 24mm set permanently to f5.6 is proving to be a real winner. It would be nice to have a variable aperture, but because of the price of the "proper" 25mm I'm prepared to compromise.

I'm also loving the 18mm version of the little Pentax, set at the same aperture, as a general use lens. The IQ is proving to be way above expectations Cool

very interesting ... I looked a bit into these lenses today and saw posts that seemed to indicate you made your own aperture out of plastic and stuck it in the mount?

I have a 24mm Sigma Super-Wide f2.8 in AR mount that I like but it is big ... might consider these pentax 110s ... seems like they can be had with the camera for a song.