Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

A few old portraits
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: A few old portraits Reply with quote

I found these amongst my scans. They are portraits of Monica that I took back in 1999 with my Nikon FM2 New camera and the not many lenses I used to own then.

1. I took this one in Volterra at the Roman theatre. I must have used a cheap film because it yellowed very fast. I tried to recover the colours in Photoshop but I could not do much. For this shot I must have used either the Kaleinar-5N 2.8/100 or the NIkkor AI 2.5/105, as they were the only portrait lenses I owned then. I'm sure I used a tele because I remember that I was quite distant from her, due to the awkward place:

2. For this one I surely used an on-lens soft filter (I don't do photo softening in Photoshop). I love the composition. I think it's one of the best portrait compositions that I have made. Bad nose shadow, but hey I didn't have an assistant to hold a white panel for me Surprised I don't want to sound presumptuous, but this shot really reminds me of the portraits by Josef Breitenbach. It is totally unwanted, as I did not know of Breitenbach then. I think this one was taken with the Nikkor AIS 1.4/50 but I am not sure about:

3. Another black and white one, because of bad yellowing of slide. Also soft filter on lens. Again this is either the Kaleinar or the Nikkor 105:

4. This is one of my favourite portraits of Monica and thinking about it, one of my favourite portraits amongst those that I ever took, in spite of the slight motion blur. I am pretty sure I used the Nikkor 1.4/50 wide open here:

5. And finally this is me, many kilograms ago Rolling Eyes Monica took the shot but I have made the composition as I didn't trust her as a photographer Laughing I am pretty sure a wide lens was used here but I can't remember which one, I think probably the Nikon Series E 2.8/28 but might be the MIR-24N 2/35 as well:

All scans made by me with the Epson 4490.
_

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see these older photos! I like very much the soft filtered ones.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really like 2,3, and 4 of Monica! OK, not a bad pic of you, too, but you're
not my type. Laughing Agree with Attila about the soft filtering, very nice
effect!

Are these scans from prints, or film negatives?

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Bill

From slides, I think these were a lot of Scotch expired slides that was sold at the time when 3M went out of photography business.
Well... you get what you pay for. Before digital, photography wasn't cheap so compromises had to be taken.

-

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

They are enthralling - especially from the point of view of your development as an artistic photographer (as opposed to a street or landscape photographer - just a neat bin to put you in). The ones of Monika are all delectable - yours, well it's good to see what you used to look like. As for kilos - I am busy trying to unload them Very Happy Very Happy

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Orio
They are enthralling - especially from the point of view of your development as an artistic photographer (as opposed to a street or landscape photographer - just a neat bin to put you in). The ones of Monika are all delectable - yours, well it's good to see what you used to look like. As for kilos - I am busy trying to unload them Very Happy Very Happy
patrickh

Thanks Patrick, these portraits are also really snapshots too, or almost. It was the only way to photograph Monica as she would refuse to pose for a formal portrait.
I would love one day to try myself at some serious studio portrait. I have so many ideas!!! Unfortunately, I have no models to shoot them with Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First pic reminds me that I want to visit Italy...

In the last pic, the man behind you looks weird Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riku wrote:

In the last pic, the man behind you looks weird Laughing

Yes, but look closely, there is another man behind. So the weird shape of his head is a combination of the two heads Smile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image #2 has a beauty about it that is rendered by the lens. The shadows are rich and full of gradients between white and black. The image is stunning with the fall-off of focus and light in the background. The white blouse is true and pure. I don't mind the shadowed nose at all, I think it gives axial perspective to the nuances of light versus dark.

The pose itself is languid, proud, and relaxed. It looks as though the model is completely at ease with the photographer, and that is a large part of the classic feel of this image.

Even the wooden rail adds a certain textural compromise that delineates the lighter tones in front, and thus contributes to a fine dimensionality and depth.

This is an excellent image with a singularity of purpose, and a beauty of tone.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry, a pity you didn't get a job writing for the JPeterman catalog during
its heyday. Wink

Orio, I certainly like how the 4490 scanned these slides! I got my
scanner two days ago, but haven't set it up.

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

This is an excellent image with a singularity of purpose, and a beauty of tone.

Thanks Laurence. I made the conversion using a Tritone, which, for a guy with a classical education like me, is a mythological figure found in the fountains Laughing but for photography it is a way to make a B&W conversion using three colours instead of one, this allows to have a pure black and still keep some roundness in the gradation of the greys.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

Orio, I certainly like how the 4490 scanned these slides! I got my
scanner two days ago, but haven't set it up.
Bill

Let me know how you find it.

Besides, this makes me think that I have not received yet Laurence's gift of the film holder, I hope it's not lost or stolen in the mail Sad

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote: Let me know how you find it.

Besides, this makes me think that I have not received yet Laurence's gift of the film holder, I hope it's not lost or stolen in the mail

It's been three weeks and a few days. Seems like that is a long time to me. I will go to the Post Office Monday with my receipt and see what they can tell me.

If that one gets lost, I have another I can send. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Katastrofo wrote:

Bill

From slides, I think these were a lot of Scotch expired slides that was sold at the time when 3M went out of photography business.
Well... you get what you pay for. Before digital, photography wasn't cheap so compromises had to be taken.

-

It's got to be better than the Orwochrome I used between the occasional roll of something better Laughing

Nice shots.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, I thought only Germans were wearing white socks. Laughing

A very nice insight into your past, my friend. Thanks for sharing.
I love to see "old" pictures and your photos are really good, so another reason to look at them.

If you like, you can send me a scan per email and I try to fix the yellowing problem, perhaps I am successful (but I can't promise)...

Carsten

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

No, but with sandal tongs, yes ! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:

Very sexy, isn't it? Laughing
But have you seen the shirt? Look at closeup Wink