Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm F1.7 wide open
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:41 am    Post subject: Porst Color Reflex MC 50mm F1.7 wide open Reply with quote

Took this out today with my son.

These are all shot on my EOS-M.
This is my first time using the lens, and all hand held. I am sure I would improve with a tripod. :0)
Slight PP adjustments.
















And with a a bit more of PP, My fav artistic shots.





Last edited by vroger on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a really sharp lens Roger.
A little overexposed but that is easily adjusted.
Thanks for sharing these
OH


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Looks like a really sharp lens Roger.
A little overexposed but that is easily adjusted.
Thanks for sharing these
OH


A limit to my EOS-M to be sure, when shooting wide open lots of light and the max shutter is 4000... :0(


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but the bokeh seems to be busy from the bridge shot and last picture, have you ever tried
a Yashica ML 50/1.7? It could even being bought way cheaper as the Porst, and the Quality is 90% from
the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 - Porst Lenses from the Photochain Porst into the 80's have been usually cheap
glas, so you can have luck, but ordinary these lenses have never been of high quality. Same goes for
the Revue Cameras, which have been also sold by the German Source "Quelle" brand, but sometimes
their was a good Konica SLR just labeled Revue, for example. I know Porst well, because i've been into
these Stores quite often here into germany when i was a teenager.


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Looks good, but the bokeh seems to be busy from the bridge shot and last picture, have you ever tried
a Yashica ML 50/1.7? It could even being bought way cheaper as the Porst, and the Quality is 90% from
the Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 - Porst Lenses from the Photochain Porst into the 80's have been usually cheap
glas, so you can have luck, but ordinary these lenses have never been of high quality. Same goes for
the Revue Cameras, which have been also sold by the German Source "Quelle" brand, but sometimes
their was a good Konica SLR just labeled Revue, for example. I know Porst well, because i've been into
these Stores quite often here into germany when i was a teenager.


yeah, I like the crazy bokeh. :0)

I'll take a look at the Yashica ML 50/1.7, thinking of something a little faster might be fun. open to suggestions.


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster lenses (1.4 for example, or 1.2) aren't really sharp at F1.4 at max. aperture, so i see that something with mixed feelings
and somehow like "pearls for swine", because ypu'd pay much for a fast aperture, but into the end, they aren't usually sharp
before at last F2.8...and that's not the reason when you want to buy a F1.4 prime.... i said that on purpose, because there are
of course lenses which are sharp @F1.4, but they usually cost a arm and a leg...you got the point. Smile


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Faster lenses (1.4 for example, or 1.2) aren't really sharp at F1.4 at max. aperture, so i see that something with mixed feelings
and somehow like "pearls for swine", because ypu'd pay much for a fast aperture, but into the end, they aren't usually sharp
before at last F2.8...and that's not the reason when you want to buy a F1.4 prime.... i said that on purpose, because there are
of course lenses which are sharp @F1.4, but they usually cost a arm and a leg...you got the point. Smile



True, perhaps I set my limit at 1.5.. if I could find a ok deal on a Jupiter 3 for example. I can't even find anyone selling it private...


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
Faster lenses (1.4 for example, or 1.2) aren't really sharp at F1.4 at max. aperture, so i see that something with mixed feelings
and somehow like "pearls for swine", because ypu'd pay much for a fast aperture, but into the end, they aren't usually sharp
before at last F2.8...and that's not the reason when you want to buy a F1.4 prime.... i said that on purpose, because there are
of course lenses which are sharp @F1.4, but they usually cost a arm and a leg...you got the point. Smile


I like to use most of my lenses one stop down, I find very few lenses work for me wide open. but I still like fast lenses and prefer my Rokkor 50 / 1.4 to the 1.7.


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NIce samples,

what I like about these PORSTs is very gentle rendering of shadows, perfect contrast (not too contrasty) and low glow -same goes for Cosinon-s lenses (PORST is their rebrand).

Same goes for f1.4 versions (however I found coating better on Cosinon version).
with my head to head testing my f1.4 cosinon beaten Yashinon DS-M 50/1.4 in picture quality department (however handling of yashinon is top notch)

p.s. I am so glad that weather here in Europe is getting better abd allows us vintage-lens-maniacs to go out and shoot with some good light,
Keep'em coming!

Rado


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radissimo77 wrote:
NIce samples,

what I like about these PORSTs is very gentle rendering of shadows, perfect contrast (not too contrasty) and low glow -same goes for Cosinon-s lenses (PORST is their rebrand).

Same goes for f1.4 versions (however I found coating better on Cosinon version).
with my head to head testing my f1.4 cosinon beaten Yashinon DS-M 50/1.4 in picture quality department (however handling of yashinon is top notch)

p.s. I am so glad that weather here in Europe is getting better abd allows us vintage-lens-maniacs to go out and shoot with some good light,
Keep'em coming!

Rado


Heh, I'm in USA, but been buying these from you guys over in Europe. ^^
I think my next lens needs to be a 1.4, and i'll stop it down one to sharpen it up if needed. I'll start a thread for votes. Razz


PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
Looks like a really sharp lens Roger.
A little overexposed but that is easily adjusted.
Thanks for sharing these
OH


A limit to my EOS-M to be sure, when shooting wide open lots of light and the max shutter is 4000... :0(


Yes, there are some places that f1.7 should not go - and bright sunshine outdoors is one of those places.
Without any neutral density filters to reduce the light, the best that you can hope for at ISO 100 will be just under f2.8 @ 1/4000
f1.7 in bright sun is just pushing it too far.
Move to the shade or shadows and use indirect light if you want to keep the f1.7 aperture.
I am glad that you are having so much fun with your lenses
OH


PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
doomed-forever wrote:
Faster lenses (1.4 for example, or 1.2) aren't really sharp at F1.4 at max. aperture, so i see that something with mixed feelings
and somehow like "pearls for swine", because ypu'd pay much for a fast aperture, but into the end, they aren't usually sharp
before at last F2.8...and that's not the reason when you want to buy a F1.4 prime.... i said that on purpose, because there are
of course lenses which are sharp @F1.4, but they usually cost a arm and a leg...you got the point. Smile



True, perhaps I set my limit at 1.5.. if I could find a ok deal on a Jupiter 3 for example. I can't even find anyone selling it private...


Good luck on that J-3. They are either great or mediocre, depending on initial quality control and subsequent treatment. Those of us on this side of the Atlantic who have gone through the process to buy from eastern Europe and been lucky are reluctant to give the lens up. If you find one in the States whose owner is eager to sell, be very cautious.

I bought this lens in February and when it finally arrived it really needed a CLA. It just came back and I'm more than happy with it.

This JPG is strictly OOC.



PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
vroger wrote:
doomed-forever wrote:
Faster lenses (1.4 for example, or 1.2) aren't really sharp at F1.4 at max. aperture, so i see that something with mixed feelings
and somehow like "pearls for swine", because ypu'd pay much for a fast aperture, but into the end, they aren't usually sharp
before at last F2.8...and that's not the reason when you want to buy a F1.4 prime.... i said that on purpose, because there are
of course lenses which are sharp @F1.4, but they usually cost a arm and a leg...you got the point. Smile



True, perhaps I set my limit at 1.5.. if I could find a ok deal on a Jupiter 3 for example. I can't even find anyone selling it private...


Good luck on that J-3. They are either great or mediocre, depending on initial quality control and subsequent treatment. Those of us on this side of the Atlantic who have gone through the process to buy from eastern Europe and been lucky are reluctant to give the lens up. If you find one in the States whose owner is eager to sell, be very cautious.

I bought this lens in February and when it finally arrived it really needed a CLA. It just came back and I'm more than happy with it.

This JPG is strictly OOC.




Understood. I hope to find someone who has a good one , that just doesn't use it and in that case I would be happy to offer fair price for the time and effort.


PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newst wrote:
I bought this lens in February and when it finally arrived it really needed a CLA. It just came back and I'm more than happy with it.
This JPG is strictly OOC.

What a lovely picture is that newst, dog and sleepy kitten!


PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got one as well. What did you pay for it? (just curious, I'll tell you what I paid at the local flee market Wink )




For some reason, I can't see the pictures in my post, so:

Code:

forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5700_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5701_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5702_1.jpg


PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frauhottelmann wrote:
I just got one as well. What did you pay for it? (just curious, I'll tell you what I paid at the local flee market Wink )




For some reason, I can't see the pictures in my post, so:

Code:

forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5700_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5701_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5702_1.jpg


You can't post images on your first post that's why :0)

I paid 25 from a local forum member. Wouldn't hesitate again knowing it was a nice copy.


PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frauhottelmann wrote:
I just got one as well. What did you pay for it? (just curious, I'll tell you what I paid at the local flee market Wink )




For some reason, I can't see the pictures in my post, so:

Code:

forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5700_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5701_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5702_1.jpg


reposted for pictures to show. Ant spam measure for first post.


PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're considering f1.4 next.....

my $0.02 vote is for the S-M-C Takumar 50 f1.4 and Mamiya/Sekor Auto 55 f1.4, for the M42 mount, like the Porst.
The Mamiya is made by Tomioka, and they branded the same lens under several names. Sears being one, Ricoh another.


Alternative mounts....Konica Hexanon AR 50 f1.4 EE.


PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vroger wrote:
frauhottelmann wrote:
I just got one as well. What did you pay for it? (just curious, I'll tell you what I paid at the local flee market Wink )
...
For some reason, I can't see the pictures in my post, so:

Code:

forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5700_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5701_1.jpg
forum.mflenses.com/userpix/20155/7199_IMG_5702_1.jpg


You can't post images on your first post that's why :0)

I paid 25 from a local forum member. Wouldn't hesitate again knowing it was a nice copy.


I paid 10 at the local flee market. It came with a complimentary red sock as a lens pouch Very Happy
It's quite nice so far, but the bokeh can look a bit busy at times.

I did a quick hand held series of pictures starting at 1.7 and going up a half stop each time:









PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to remove a stuck ring from the front, I guess it was a broken filter...


PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frauhottelmann wrote:
I had to remove a stuck ring from the front, I guess it was a broken filter...


Nice shots and I bet thats how you got such a good deal. :0)


PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuck filter if really stuck (not even WD 40 works) it is smoother to cut them on one part with small saw (micro tools). You stop cutting just before reaching lens then break it.


PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Stuck filter if really stuck (not even WD 40 works) it is smoother to cut them on one part with small saw (micro tools). You stop cutting just before reaching lens then break it.


Thanks, I got it off without damaging the lens Smile