Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mamiya Sekor EF 50/1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Mamiya Sekor EF 50/1.4 Reply with quote

Sigma SD14, f=1.4, 1:1 crop

Sigma SD14, f~5.6, 1:1 crop

Sigma SD14, f~5.6, 1:1 crop

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice shots.

This is for the ZE series cameras?

How are you controlling the aperture?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's for ZE series cameras. I've converted it to M42 (in reversible way) and created link between ring and lever that controls aperature. I can make some photos if you're interested.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:
Yes it's for ZE series cameras. I've converted it to M42 (in reversible way) and created link between ring and lever that controls aperature. I can make some photos if you're interested.

Oh yes please! I have a few Mamiya E series lenses and can't use them on my NEX, sadly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens itself:

Mount (based on mount from non working helios 44, trimmed on lathe):

Aperature link (made of copper plated glass-reinforced epoxy laminate and thin copper sheets soldered to it) - simple and efficient

Only downside of such direct link is that stops on aperature ring does not match real one.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks. I have Mamiya 3.5/28 and 1.7/50 primes and 3.5/80-200 and two more zooms so I might have to try this conversion.

Really appreciate you posting how you did it, you did a great job.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was something! Please post more samples.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIKES!

Not to mock this lens mod or the ingenuity at all... Great Work!.. but man.. I see no need to hack up a perfectly good lens in the process!

If you are considering this mod with EF glass, please consider this first....

Mamiya CS 1.4 and EF 1.4 lenses have nearly identical optics, and anyone considering this mod should save the blood, sweat and tears, to instead get a cheap and readily available CS 1.4 on ebay and one of my 3d-printed CS to EOS adapters from Shapeways 3d printing service. (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric)

My adapter requires zero mod to the lens and is, of course, removable. Aperture function and infinity focus retained, again, with no mod to the lens. Works with ANY Mamiya Sekor CS lens or extension tube.

Here is the adapter with a Mamiya Sekor CS F/2 50mm lens

Here it is again w a Mamiya Sekor CS F/3.5 14mm Fisheye lens

Heres a shot taken w the Mamiya Sekor CS F/3.5 50mm Macro lens & Macro-CS extension tube

1:1 pixel crop of previous image

And here is a 3d rendering of the adapter itself.

Again, you can purchase the CS to EOS adapter at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric

If you're interested in the development of this adapter see the CS Lens to DSLR thread over at the Mamiya 35mm Forum
http://rherron.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=geninfo&action=display&num=1296884154

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quoted so images show.

slackard wrote:
YIKES!

Not to mock this lens mod or the ingenuity at all... Great Work!.. but man.. I see no need to hack up a perfectly good lens in the process!

Mamiya CS 1.4 and EF 1.4 lenses have nearly identical optics, and anyone considering this mod should save the blood, sweat and tears, to instead get a cheap and readily available CS 1.4 on ebay and one of my 3d-printed CS to EOS adapters from Shapeways 3d printing service. (http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric)

My adapter requires zero mod to the lens and is, of course, removable. Aperture function and infinity focus retained, again, with no mod to the lens. Works with ANY Mamiya Sekor CS lens or extension tube.

Here is the adapter with a Mamiya Sekor CS F/2 50mm lens

Here it is again w a Mamiya Sekor CS F/3.5 14mm Fisheye lens

Heres a shot taken w the Mamiya Sekor CS F/3.5 50mm Macro lens & Macro-CS extension tube

1:1 pixel crop of previous image

And here is a 3d rendering of the adapter itself.

Again, you can purchase the CS to EOS adapter at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric

If you're interested in the development of this adapter see the CS Lens to DSLR thread over at the Mamiya 35mm Forum
http://rherron.conforums.com/index.cgi?board=geninfo&action=display&num=1296884154

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Now that was something! Please post more samples.

I hope to go hiking this weekend so there is possibility of some infinity shots. I'm impressed with the sharpness of this lens stopped down - details are there (those pictures you see in the first post are 1:1 crops from foveon sensor). In case of shooting wide open details are also there but aberrations and glow appears.

slackard wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out but destination of my lens was Sigma so rather it is no go (throat diameter)...
If you'll fell better I would like to assure you that I have chosen the worst one from my collection as I also own two another copies of that lens in far greater condition (ie. no dents on filter ring, no problems with centering of optical block). Besides that I still can reassemble it (but I doubt I will do that) as no original parts were destroyed in the conversion process.

But I hope that one day Sigma will put on the market foveon based mirrorless camera so all common and exotic old lenses will have possibility to shine...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pavko wrote:

Thank you for pointing this out but destination of my lens was Sigma so rather it is no go (throat diameter)...
If you'll fell better I would like to assure you that I have chosen the worst one from my collection as I also own two another copies of that lens in far greater condition (ie. no dents on filter ring, no problems with centering of optical block). Besides that I still can reassemble it (but I doubt I will do that) as no original parts were destroyed in the conversion process.

But I hope that one day Sigma will put on the market foveon based mirrorless camera so all common and exotic old lenses will have possibility to shine...

Haha! I does make me feel a little better that you used a not-so-great example for your mods... If only we all had access to machine tools (lathe, mill, etc)! Again, great work...

Anyone interested in the CS to EOS adapter should check http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adapter seems great. Did you tried 1.4/50mm on 5DmkII with your adapter? Any mirror hit issues?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont own a 5dm2, but I did bring a couple CS lenses and my adapter to the local camera shop.

A sales guy Ive bought from for years handed me the 5dm2 without hesitation and i took several dozen test shots around the store... I wasn't buying and I didnt want to waste his time, so i didnt bother checking camera settings. All my shots were over exposed due to way too high ISO for the lighting conditions :(

Nonetheless the 5d MarkII had no problems with the adapter.. the reflex mirror did not strike the lens or adapter.. In reality the CS lenses are almost identical to M42 lenses except CS lenses use a bayonet design instead of threads, otherwise they are virtually identical. (this is not true of the Mamiya EF / Z-series lenses from this thread's OP, Z-series lenses are NOTHING like an M42)

Since the CS lenses are so similar to M42, the lenses protrude no deeper into the camera body than any other true M42 lens + threaded adapter..

So, no worries at all using my "CS to EOS" adapter on a 5d, or 5dmk2 (aka, EOS bodies w/ Full-Frame 35mm sensors).. also, by extension you can expect zero issues with 1d series (1.3 crop) bodies as well.

Get the CS to EOS Adapter Here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/polymetric

Thanks for the interest!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All photos from Sigma SD14; most of them stopped down...

Wide open:

Same scene, a litle bit stopped down:

It was +23 deg C, but:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More really nice examples, thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some more:

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple Mamiya Lenses I'm trying to find an adapter for to use on my Micro Four Thirds (MFT) Cameras. Both Olympus and Panasonic. I have yet to find an adapter that fits. The ZE adapter is not the correct size. Here are the lenses I have. Any help finding an adapter would be much appreciated.

Mamiya Sekor Zoom CS 80-200 3.8
Mamiya 50mm CS 1.7

Both lenses say made in Japan.

Thanks for any help

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple Mamiya Lenses I'm trying to find an adapter for to use on my Micro Four Thirds (MFT) Cameras. Both Olympus and Panasonic. I have yet to find an adapter that fits. The ZE adapter is not the correct size. Here are the lenses I have. Any help finding an adapter would be much appreciated.

Mamiya Sekor Zoom CS 80-200 3.8
Mamiya 50mm CS 1.7

Both lenses say made in Japan.

Thanks for any help