Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 on FF Sony a900 FREEZING COLD
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 on FF Sony a900 FREEZING COLD Reply with quote

I went out with the a900 to try my Minolta MC Rokkor-PG 58/1.2 that has been converted for Sony a mount. It's just too cold here right now at -20 C so I only stayed outside for a few minutes, snapping away randomly. Don't expect anything artistic this time. Anyway, since this combination isn't too common I decided to post the pictures. RAW and PP:d in Aperture. No cropping.

Click 2x on the pictures for best quality.

#1 f1.2

#2 f8

#3 f8

#4 f1.2

#5 f1.2

#6 f1.2 or f2

#7 f1.2 or f2

#8 f1.2

#9 f1.2

#10 f2

#11 f1.2 (I think)

#12 f1.2

#13 f1.2

#14 f2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are beautiful and amazing I have never seen anything like those frozen "lakes"? The first one is my favorite because of the gold of the grass with the gloom all around.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look really good, congrats.
I was just thinking, if prices drop a bit, to get an a900.
Are you happy with yours?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
These are beautiful and amazing I have never seen anything like those frozen "lakes"? The first one is my favorite because of the gold of the grass with the gloom all around.

Thanks! It's the sea actually but the lakes here look the same Very Happy

Aanything wrote:
They look really good, congrats.
I was just thinking, if prices drop a bit, to get an a900.
Are you happy with yours?

I'm very happy with the a900, especially the viewfinder which is amazing. Focusing manual lenses can be tricky though and I miss focus peaking. For my current work the NEX series is a better choice so I think I will sell the a900. Or not. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice!!! Can't wait for my first NEX cam... want to use those Minolta lenses badly now!! Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrueLoveOne wrote:
Really nice!!! Can't wait for my first NEX cam... want to use those Minolta lenses badly now!! Smile

I hope you got a NEX by now, I do love the old Rokkors, especially the all metal ones.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I do! I bought a second hand NEX3, body only. By now i have MD/SR, PK, M42 and C-mount adapters, and not enough time to play around as much as i'd love to Wink !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a nex for almost a year now and love it. I have also looked at the samples placed by various members of the forum and put together a small collection of rokkor and hexanon lenses. For those (like me) who cannot afford the leica and zeiss glass, these two marques make a very fine substitute. I would argue that with my level of competence they are as far as I can go Embarassed Embarassed

BTW the nex sensor is one of the most accepting of sensors I have found, it behaves remarkably well with everything I have seen thrown at it, unlike several others.

patrickh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somply great! /me going to take camera with rokkor and go outdoors right now

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos but the color balance is a strong blue. Whats up with that?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful winter presentation!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hifisapi wrote:
Nice photos but the color balance is a strong blue. Whats up with that?

Just my personal preference for these photos I guess. The photos were processed in RAW and I adjusted the white balance. It was getting quite dark, and this is how I perceived the light.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6, 7, 8 and 9 would all be beautiful with a little PP to brighten them up.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like them as they are, just in that way. Subtles tonalities make them very delicate images.

Natural, lost taste today. With PP they can be better in some weays? Yes, of course. But time to time, the real world, the natural colors of the things are welcome to me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
6, 7, 8 and 9 would all be beautiful with a little PP to brighten them up.

Thanks Ian, and everyone else commenting as well! I'm at work right now and on this screen the pictures are darker than I remember them being at home on my own computer. I guess I should get a calibration kit and some thick drapes for the windows..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
So many great photos... 6 and 10 my favorites.

-Was that lens familiar to me? Did you fixed the aperture problem and convert it? Cool

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vlousada wrote:
Hi,
So many great photos... 6 and 10 my favorites.

-Was that lens familiar to me? Did you fixed the aperture problem and convert it? Cool

Thanks! This is the brother of the lens you sold me. I fixed your lens (sent it to a friend of Attila, who did a great job) but kept it original, this one was bought recently and already converted. So now I have two Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like these 2 were made for each one, though in different mounts - My favourite camera and one of the wanted lenses Smile. Files from a900/850 have a very nice look to them. Great tones and colors.

BTW, are you using the standard focusing screen? I find it quite difficult to nail the focus with my A850, well I must admit I'm spoiled by EVF's ... Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the standard screen. I have to admit that I'm getting spoiled by focus peaking on the NEX. But nothing beats full frame...