Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Zuiko Auto-S 1.8/50 #!*!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Olympus Zuiko Auto-S 1.8/50 #!*! Reply with quote

This lens came to me on an OM-1 from one of my friends who was cleaning out his cupboard.
For a long time I didn't bother with it because it has some fungus.
Further, I had no adapter - and because of the fungus, no inclination to get one.
Well, recently I gave in and bought an adapter.
Now the lens is driving me nuts. It is capable of good resolution but I have to work hard with this lens for the results.
My hit rate of satisfying shots is low. From around forty shots I have this small handful that are passable.
It might just be that the ergonomics of the lens are not in sync with my taking style - or maybe something else.
We are not friends yet - this lens and I.
OH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some lenses may never be your friend.I have come across a few that I don't get along with....I think you have two of them Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not the lens, always the photographer guys Wink Wink Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Some lenses may never be your friend.I have come across a few that I don't get along with....I think you have two of them Very Happy

Quite so.
What's going on with the images?
I posted appropriate sized images but they only show up as thumbnails - and when clicked upon they remain as thumbnails.
Mmmmm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
What's going on with the images?
I posted appropriate sized images but they only show up as thumbnails - and when clicked upon they remain as thumbnails.
Mmmmm

Revenge of the Zuiko!? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila is still setting up the new system, have patience and report your findings to him!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have noticed that others are posting large images so I'll try again.
OH

What the?????
I can't understand this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too either why we got this small Sad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess you did upload from mobile computer not from desktop computer? upload works well from my desktop computer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another try
This is from my desktop computer as before

?????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

which browser ? computer op system ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best thread ever... er, uh... that damn Zuiko! (I'm really in agreement with Klaus here)
Attila wrote:
My guess you did upload from mobile computer not from desktop computer? upload works well from my desktop computer.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos are still undersized. Heheh! Yes, the Zuiko gods are unhappy with Oldhand! Very Happy

Attila, that is one fine glamour portrait! Gorgeous model, gorgeous shot!

Back to the 50mm f/1.8....

I love mine, and find it very easy to compose with and the majority of the shots are in focus.

Regarding these and fungus.... AVOID buying any with fungus and or haze to the front elements, if it's the latest version of this lens!
Olympus simplified the construction to save money and time, by gluing the lenses and assembly of the front group.
It can't be disassembled, there are no threads. I tried acetone to dissolve what was used, but it wasn't effective.

The previous version has 'MC' label and this one is threaded and serviceable.

[EDIT]

BTW Oldhand, I forgot to mention....check your adapter. I did purchase a no-name OM-NEX adapter that turned out to be poorly machined.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
which browser ? computer op system ?

Ahh - don't worry, I have found the problem
Sorry, It was my re-sizing in LR
Doh!

Glad I posted problems though, or we would not have seen Attila's gorgeous model
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
OH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Persevere Oldhand, it's a lovely lens Wink

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
My apologies for my clumsy oversight and the tiny thumbnails.
Here are some samples in viewable size.
And a picture of the lens - is it the newer - hard to service model? No MC markings that I can see.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the same as my Auto S 50 1.8 ( all five of them, are they breeding in the storage box ? ) and I had a very nasty looking one with what looked like a bad dose of fungus, but I opened it and cleaned it successfully. I have the G Zuiko Auto S 50 1.4 as well, both are very good.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This lens may be your nemesis, but those shots look great!
And yes, that's the version I mentioned. I bought a 2nd one with fungus, and thought it'll be an easy service. And discovered it the hard way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the "Made In Japan"(MIJ) version, it's one of the more desirable versions, I find the 1.8's almost too small, so I mostly have used the 50/1.4, the color is usually quite punchy, and no real issues with sharpness.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas.
I think that my frustration is in getting used to the lens in use.
Its small size might have something to do with it, but my hand routines in composing and focus seem uncomfortable at this stage. There is no doubt that it can produce some very sharp results - but as I said, my hit rate with it at the moment is abysmal.
Here is another that wasn't too bad.
OH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldhand, that's pretty curious as actually this little Zuiko in my opinion is one of those gems that many people don't know anything about. I bought mine some time ago for next to nothing for OM film body I got for free and I was astonished with it's performance. It's very and I mean very sharp, works really nice in strong light, renders images in beautiful way and using it is always a pleasure for me.
Maybe you got a tired and used copy?

Here are a few portraits I took with it a few days after I bought it:
IMG_3921_E by Mateusz Molik, on Flickr

IMG_3865_E by Mateusz Molik, on Flickr

IMG_3920_E by Mateusz Molik, on Flickr

IMG_3725_E by Mateusz Molik, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Great portraits!

+1 Very sharp, color and contrast are wonderful. I think the bokeh is quite pleasant too.
It gets overlooked due to the f/1.4 demand. Still quite affordable.

Oldhand, that 3rd image is brilliant.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am positively surprised by this lens, there is a great wide open.

#1 Canon EOS 450D + Olympus OM Zuiko MC Auto-S 50/1.8 - WIDE OPEN.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To bad her eyes are closed.