Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Do you know Erwin Putts?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Do you know Erwin Putts? Reply with quote

And his sometimes provocative statements?
A joy to read: http://www.imx.nl/photo/Analysis/Analysis/page106.html

Last edited by LucisPictor on Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, Erwin Putts' writings are on a Favorites save on my computer.

I certainly wouldn't say I always agree with his philosophical messages, but mostly I do.

This particular writing is provocative, interesting, and really makes me think about the art of rearranging emulsions using the waves/photons of light. I do like the statement about digital being a capture on a sensor that can be immediately manipulated in limitless ways.

Thanks for putting this on a thread!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, Thanks too!

Its funny to say but that essay I feel on a gut level explains why I feel like I do about film. Surprised

This is not to bash anyone for using digital. The article validates choices and options available.

Jim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That writing made me remember a similar one that I heard once in a documentary:

"The young people of today pays no respect anymore to the older. Tradition is crumbling, we're going to have hard times like never before."

It came from an ancient egypt writing of about 3000 years ago Very Happy

What I'm saying is that I'm really bored to death to hear discussions about the medium and manipulation when mediums and manipulations are the essence of art since centuries ago.

Didn't we have fake advertising photographs in '60? Or photomontage in USSR when purged communists member suddendly disappeared from official photos? Also the famous photo of Lenin talking to the crowd is a fake.

What I agree is that digital DON'T replace film, they are different medium.

The only huge difference is that the average Joe today can try to manipulate images without having a darkroom, airbrushes and a huge collection of chemicals.

It's just easier to try.

Achieving good results is a completely different matter.