Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Problem with Epson Perfection 3200 scanner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Problem with Epson Perfection 3200 scanner Reply with quote

Anyone ever seen anything like this before?

A strange blue cast offset a few mm, almost like a double exposure.

Epson support are no help at all, they sent me an automated reply telling me to clean my printer head nozzles! WTF?

I'm wondering if the scanner is faulty, with the blue sensor being out of alignment?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. You're not alone Sad. I got the same problem (among the others) with V500. What I can tell, after investigation, is that is not a driver problem (does the same under either windoze and linux), it is not the USB cable (I used to use a longer one for logistic reasons and reverting to the original did not change anything), reading the web seemed that could be dust related but after careful cleaning of the glass (even internal and even the TPU) the issue did not disappear. To make things even stranger it looks like that in my case only color neg is affected, with BW material I couldn't see faults. I tried to rotate the film strip 180° in the holder and even upside down with no help (it just seems to be slight better when using the right hand slot). Just to complete the picture opaque originals are not affected. Maybe color negs are just too dense?

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian, try scanning it again with the film the other way round, ie rotated 180° in the film holder. If the shadow is identical to the original scans then the problem is with the film. If the shadow rotates too then it's the scanner.

The overall blue cast is exactly what I get with the V700. I've made Photoshop actions to correct it for several different films.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not an overall blue cast, it's a shifting of the blue to one side, it happens with all the different negs I've tried to scan, regardless of which way round I have them:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you examined the negs carefully to ensure it's not on there?
Made any test print of a neg at the local lab?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely not on the negs, I've tried 5 or 6 different films, the lab scans are fine:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. The fault is definitely not on the film, my RA-4 prints are as fine as they could be.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just occurred to me to try scanning something else other than a negative:

Looks like a faulty scanner to me. Sad