Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

XR Rikenon S 50mm f2...plastic fantastic!!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: XR Rikenon S 50mm f2...plastic fantastic!!!! Reply with quote

Hi all!

Now i've finally managed to wrench my Samyang 85mm 1.5 off my K7, I have started using this 50mm XR Rikenon that I have owned for around a year but barely even used!! What have I been missing? Very sharp, and in my eye gives nice soft skin tones.

It maybe plastic and light as a feather, but seeing as I only payed around £15 for a minter, it was worth every penny!!! I think the Samyang might struggle to get back on my camera for a while....

xr rikenon by dobinio, on Flickr

party_check by dobinio, on Flickr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see why you're pleased with that !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine portraits!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed. I know nothing about Ricoh lenses, I shall have to read up on them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that little pancake of a lens is a real sharpie. The Sears 50mm f2 K-mount lens is the same thing and is also sharp.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom in Delaware wrote:
Yeah, that little pancake of a lens is a real sharpie. The Sears 50mm f2 K-mount lens is the same thing and is also sharp.

It would be interesting to know whether it is the same formula as the mostly metal
XR Rikenon 50/2, which is a very fine lens. I recently did some shooting with the plastic version, but haven't processed the film yet.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had it and it was very good indeed, had to give it as a present, no way to sell it.

If I remember correctly, it had good bokeh, but a bit long MFD.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

superb portraits!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second portrait is like :OOOOO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the comments!!

the MFD is 2ft (60cm), so isn't too bad (for my uses anyway).

It's a lens i wouldn't even try to sell, there is no point....why sell it for next to nothing with such performance?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooper wrote:
thanks for the comments!!

the MFD is 2ft (60cm), so isn't too bad (for my uses anyway).

It's a lens i wouldn't even try to sell, there is no point....why sell it for next to nothing with such performance?

Well, the performance is good, surprising given its reputation, but I don't like to have lenses that I don't use and the Rikenon wouldn't have seen the light of the day with me. I just keep one lens, max two of each focal, so it was given as a gift to help with other sales.

My copy had the distance scale next to completely erased, it felt so cheap, so maybe the bad cheap look biased me against it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb shots! I have a few copies of Rikenon-P 50/2, and they, indeed, are plastic-fantastic. Very sharp, bokeh a bit harsh, good colors and great price/performance ratio.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a fun (to me!!)self portrait Smile

They Walk by dobinio, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great potraits. #2 and your self-potrait are outstanding. Good light.

The lens shows a little much CA and theres to much blueish cast in the first pic for my taste... but many even much more expensive primes show some blue CAs wide open under such conditions and the blueish cast could be removed by PP or manual white balance.

The lens reminds me the MC Zenitar M2s 50/2 which also deserves the tag "plastic fantastic" (but I guess the Zenitars are slightly better and you pay usually at least the double).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful self portrait, how did you do the skin effect? PVA wood glue?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Wonderful self portrait, how did you do the skin effect? PVA wood glue?

Thanks Ian. Nearly got it! It was actually liquid latex, and it was a nightmare to get out of my eyebrows and beard!!! Also used some custom photoshop brushes to get a decay effect. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a plain rikenon 50/2, plasticky version, and from 2.8 onwards is a killer, better than pentax m 50/1.7, suffice it to say. My rikenons p50/1.7 and xr 50/1.7 are also superior to all my pentaxes stopped down. For some reason, all three rikenons are soft wide open, worse than pentax.
The only downside of rikenons is hexagonal straight blades and the plastic rikenons only focus down to 60 cms, as opposed to 45cm in xr metal versions (same as pentax m50/1.7 and 1.4 variants)
However, plastic ones are newer and a tad sharper.