Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Help me find this lens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Help me find this lens Reply with quote

Any of you know where I could get the lens that come with that Camera :

Huge camera

there's a video of it too :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lYJIL_OaKhk#!

admin, move that anywhere if you like Smile I just wanted to share that with all of you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were lenses made for similar process cameras (though I haven't heard of anything quite so big)

These things could be as big as a room.

They were used in "macro" mode though, generally, so the focal length would be less than one would expect.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The video shows a computer generated artist's rendering of a fantasy camera that doesn't exist yet and never may exist. The lens you asked about doesn't exist. The image is based on, probably, a late 19th century lens/shutter combination.

The artist, Dennis Manarchy, has built several "room cameras" that are supposed to be the same size as his fantasy trailer cam. Search for his name and you'll find a bit about them. They seem to be made to shoot around 3:1 - 4:1; from that and their reported size its pretty clear that he's using lenses with focal lengths in the range 3' - 4'. Process lenses, most likely. With his room cam he shoots in a darkened room, uses open flash.

A large Packard shutter behind the trailer cam's lens would work. There are no between the lens shutters for large lenses.

At least one photographer has been using a room cam for portraiture for quite a while. Search for "Richard Learoyd." He uses process lenses too.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first though when seeing the images of the processing trays was "Oh SNAP, who turned the lights on?!"

It cannot be very economical to shoot film of that size. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danfromm wrote:
The video shows a computer generated artist's rendering of a fantasy camera that doesn't exist yet and never may exist. The lens you asked about doesn't exist. The image is based on, probably, a late 19th century lens/shutter combination.

The artist, Dennis Manarchy, has built several "room cameras" that are supposed to be the same size as his fantasy trailer cam. Search for his name and you'll find a bit about them. They seem to be made to shoot around 3:1 - 4:1; from that and their reported size its pretty clear that he's using lenses with focal lengths in the range 3' - 4'. Process lenses, most likely. With his room cam he shoots in a darkened room, uses open flash.

A large Packard shutter behind the trailer cam's lens would work. There are no between the lens shutters for large lenses.

At least one photographer has been using a room cam for portraiture for quite a while. Search for "Richard Learoyd." He uses process lenses too.

My request was more a joke than anything. I just wanted to share this neat "little" camera Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's already someone in the U.S. travelling around with a truck converted to a camera body.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

36 inch process lenses turn up on ebay pretty cheap all the time, not sure what the coverage is, but pretty huge as they were often used for newspaper printing and think how big a sheet of newspaper is.

Here is a Hunter-Penrose process camera, these were pretty common once. Imagine one of these on the back of a 4x4 pickup truck, I'd love such a combo to shoot mtn landscapes! lol