Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Large Format Lens in Compur shutter with crappy Canon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Large Format Lens in Compur shutter with crappy Canon Reply with quote

I have 70+ year old lens and 7 month old camera.
Camera is manufactured in state of the art "junk yard" what we call factories.
The focussing screen broke after 2 months of usage (OK, it happened during screen change.. but should not have). Canon changed the whole focussing screen section and plus those guys calibrated the focussing system too (was doing front focussing).
2 months after a visit to junkie grp, the camera hibernated. I switched off, and the lever never moved from OFF position. Super brains told me that never happened. Changed the whole right side (where the lever is). When it came back from "junkyard", still had the tapes/transparent paper on the new parts.
It was working so great.. and I did the blunder of the century.. ordered the new M42 adapter with focus confirmation chip.. Hell.. my all pics were out of fcous. I noticed that the focus confirmation is not matching with split prism screen. Took out my AF lenses.. and yes, the camera is doing front focussing by atleast 1 inch.. too much, If I am using wide open..
In frustration and after seeing vilva pics here, I took my oldie goldie, vintage Friedrich Corygon lens in Compur shutter (used on JUNK Canon 350d/rebelXT)
The results are,

(some Dynamic range extended in Picture Window pro.. to enhance the contrast.. esp with FLowers pic)

original (of B&W).. the colors came out very natural.. the toy bike was faded red)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice results, Ballu. Amazing amount of detail from such an old lens!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Very nice results, Ballu. Amazing amount of detail from such an old lens!

Thanks Orio... Yes, the lens really provides the great details.. if the set up is right (as bellows are not that stable arrangement).

I want one frank feedback on bokeh... whats your take... I have posted the picture of near object in other thread. In this, the pics of flower is about 2-3 meters from camera, and you can see the branches in the blurred background.
In the last pic, of log, the most of blurred part is filled with concrete road.. on the top side, can see some cars parts (blurred). The subject was about 2 meters from the camera.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another point I want to ask/discuss, is the fall off (from sharp point/plane to burring area) is characteristic of aperture only or the lens design/elements also play the role. In this lens, I am seeing very sharp fall off, even at ~f5..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the last one very much!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bokeh seems fine, although it's not easy to tell, since you framed very much on the objects and did not leave much space to the background.
Also, one of the two images with bokeh is B&W, and bokeh should be better evaluated on color (to verify possible color alignment problems)

as for bokeh falloff, I can not give a technical answer, but based on my experience, at the same aperture value, the lens design is, if not decisive, at least a very important factor.