Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

MAKINON MC REFLEX 300MM F5.6
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: MAKINON MC REFLEX 300MM F5.6 Reply with quote

by GH2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice mirror lens! I like the third shot a lot because of the many different bokeh donouts!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like those pictures, the donuts are a part of the picture.

I'm sort of looking at this -

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/rokunar-reflex-lens/102823088

Which I know nothing about, but the idea of a small 300 mirror is very appealing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

nice colour and circles !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very handy lens (very small / very good construction / weight ok : not too light/not to heavy )

If someone interested .. I have one to sell in om mount

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

Which I know nothing about, but the idea of a small 300 mirror is very appealing.

Whoops, I just bought that. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really glad of these results. Changed link (Makinon Makina Optical lens list: http://forum.mflenses.com/makinon-makina-optical-complete-list-with-links-and-reviews-t39877,highlight,%2Bmakinon.html ) to your samples at once.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Lloydy wrote:

Whoops, I just bought that. Smile

Laughing I expect to try it when I see you in a few weeks ! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, you will be most welcome to try it out, I plan to use it for street photography mostly, for birds and such I have other 300mms. Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last weekend a nice person I know donated me a case with a Canon AE-1 Program and matching Canon 1.8/50, Tokina 2.8/28 and the Makinon 5.6/300 mirror lens. Since I was missing a long focal length when I've got my EOS M with me and this lens is very small and light for a 300, I ordered a FD-EOS M adapter to try it out.

What can I say? It feels great! The package with the M is small and light and fits in a small bag including the EF-M 22 and a 60mm Macro, my current general purpose equipment.

Below a sample and a comparison with 500mm on a EOS 5D. M+Makinon have about equivalent focal length (1.6*300=480) but every other aspect is very different.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been for a walk with the little one. It's quite hard to nail the focus down with the M. Some sample images for those who care...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, different looking photos and small lens considering 300mm.
Are there other mirror lenses that are so small? Is it light also?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a Minolta mirror lens, but it's expensive. The Makinon shows up in all sorts of names, and it's certainly small. Resolution and contrast are poor, but it's small enough to carry around just in case Smile The other option is the Tamron SP 350/5.6 mirror which is, like the Minolta, more expensive. But it's much better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Is it light also?

The lens alone weights 270g, the combo EOS M+Adapter+Lens is 650g. That's light and small enough to put in the pocket of my jacket...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
There's a Minolta mirror lens, but it's expensive. The Makinon shows up in all sorts of names, and it's certainly small. Resolution and contrast are poor, but it's small enough to carry around just in case Smile The other option is the Tamron SP 350/5.6 mirror which is, like the Minolta, more expensive. But it's much better.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reed in a sea of lake-flavour donuts... (with EOS M)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a strange pattern on the borders of circles? If it was classic lens i'd assume separation or glass crack.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
What is a strange pattern on the borders of circles? If it was classic lens i'd assume separation or glass crack.

No idea. When I look at and into the lens I do not see any damage. No matter what angle and focus everything looks clean and intact for me.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:

If it is always on the bottom of the bokeh rings, I would suspect the rear mirror, or if it rotates when you focus, it is probably the front mirror (assuming your lens design is the same as my Tamron 500mm mirror lens)

These lenses are remarkably simple in design, I assume all the glass is optically flat and serves mainly to support the mirror and seal the lens. If you can't see damage, it is probably the front mirror, which is more difficult to see. Maybe the silvering is peeling off?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tested with a torch light and the pattern rotates when I focus. Damn, I cannot see anything wrong when I look at the lens. Do I need to disassemble the lens to see anything?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Just tested with a torch light and the pattern rotates when I focus. Damn, I cannot see anything wrong when I look at the lens. Do I need to disassemble the lens to see anything?

If you look through the back of the lens you should be able to see the front mirror (assuming yours is similar to my Tamron) - what you can actually see is the reflection of the back mirror in the front mirror, but if the front mirror is damaged, it may be visible - point the lens at the light while looking through it if necessary.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk wrote:
If you look through the back of the lens you should be able to see the front mirror (assuming yours is similar to my Tamron) - what you can actually see is the reflection of the back mirror in the front mirror, but if the front mirror is damaged, it may be visible - point the lens at the light while looking through it if necessary.

Looked through the back of the lens against a spotlight and a flat light source. Turned the focus ring while looking at both sources, close, far, from various angles. I don't see anything suspicious. Crying or Very sad
I'll have a look again tomorrow at daylight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disassembled the lens as described here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1147619.html. This is what I can see at the front mirror. Most likely it is not on the surface as cleaning the surface is not successful. Could be a damaged coating on the backside?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoacker wrote:
Disassembled the lens as described here: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic,p,1147619.html. This is what I can see at the front mirror. Most likely it is not on the surface as cleaning the surface is not successful. Could be a damaged coating on the backside?

Looks like the layers have separated to me - the silvering has come away from the glass maybe? I can't think of any way of mending it. You could cover that portion with black tape which would prevent that part of the mirror effecting your image. Cut a black ring to cover it effectively reducing your aperture, but still giving you a clean donut highlight.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor little lens... I must admit that I took a shine to donut bokeh under certain conditions. I'll look around for a replacement, a mirror lens of cause.