Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:2.5 135mm M42 (v2, 43812)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:2.5 135mm M42 (v2, 43812) Reply with quote

#4 is not perfectly sharp, but I like it anyway. Each photo was shot wide open.

Last edited by Spotmatic on Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks pretty sharp to me. Certainly usable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful photos, great samples showing just how good this lens is, simply amazing sharpness for a f2.5/135 wide open, bokeh looks very smooth too.
but most of all Peter, every time I see photos from you I would love you to teach me how you postprocess Wink
the colors, details, 'freshness' and naturalness you achieve stun me every time

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
....but most of all Peter, every time I see photos from you I would love you to teach me how you postprocess Wink
the colors, details, 'freshness' and naturalness you achieve stun me every time
Andreas

that's the Peter's secret Very Happy ....
Great samples and great lens...your daughter is realy shining on your pictures, it's a real pleasure to look at ......

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the king of children portraits! #2 for me, ideal photo to hang on a parent's wall.
I see quite some green fringing from the lens though Confused

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto to Martinsmith's comment -- looks pretty darn sharp to me! And it produces a nice skin texture.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+999 Orio comments!

I am guessing this is the double-gauss version?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

I don't know any Double Gauss telephotos (but anyway I'm not that knowledgeable about optics) Wink)

It has this 6/6 design (courtesy of Bojidar Dimitrov's K-mount page):

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 came in two optical designs. There is a part number stamped in the backside of the A/M switch that will tell you which one you have. Version 2 is 43812 against 43802 for version 1. Version 2 and the first SMC K share the same optical design. Version 1 is the same 5 element design of the earlier Super Takumar.

I'd be curious to know which one the OP is referencing. (If it is possible to change the subject line to reference Version 1 or Version 2, that would be helpful.)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
The SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 came in two optical designs. There is a part number stamped in the backside of the A/M switch that will tell you which one you have. Version 2 is 43812 against 43802 for version 1. Version 2 and the first SMC K share the same optical design. Version 1 is the same 5 element design of the earlier Super Takumar.

I'd be curious to know which one the OP is referencing. (If it is possible to change the subject line to reference Version 1 or Version 2, that would be helpful.)

Peter rarely shows up here these days, let me try to answer:
Peter showed that the lens presented has the 6/6 lens scheme. This indicates that it is the Takumar version 2 identical to the K lens, the earlier Super Takumar res. S-M-C version 1 has 5 elements in 4 groups ( see: http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/Super-Multi-Coated-TAKUMAR-Super-Takumar-135mm-F2.5.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Peter showed that the lens presented has the 6/6 lens scheme.

Thanks for the reply kuuan. My question is: How did he show it? He STATED it, but based his knowledge on information in a K-mount page. Since he doesn't own a K-mount lens, he may not be aware of whether he actually has the 6 element version. Secondly, the subject line is inadequate. Anyone who gets a SMC Takumar may find this thread and assume that the images and info applies to their lens. But since (as stated) there were two different optical designs that were both SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 this may not be a proper assumption. Knowing for sure which lens he had and then labeling the thread properly would prevent such confusion.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, several times with online auctions, I have inquired as to the A/M switch, and been given a different number. 439xx. I believe once it ended in 01, another time in 12, and the other I no longer remember. But the waters are very muddy WRT the "A/M switch indicator", as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheekygeek wrote:
kuuan wrote:
Peter showed that the lens presented has the 6/6 lens scheme.

Thanks for the reply kuuan. My question is: How did he show it? He STATED it, but based his knowledge on information in a K-mount page. Since he doesn't own a K-mount lens, he may not be aware of whether he actually has the 6 element version. Secondly, the subject line is inadequate. Anyone who gets a SMC Takumar may find this thread and assume that the images and info applies to their lens. But since (as stated) there were two different optical designs that were both SMC Takumar 135mm f2.5 this may not be a proper assumption. Knowing for sure which lens he had and then labeling the thread properly would prevent such confusion.

Peter is one of the foremost Takumar collectors in the world, therefore your assumption that he based his knowledge on Dimitrov's K-mount page can't be right! If Peter says that this lens has the 6/6 design than I certainly believe it, and that he only used the K-mount page as a host for the lens scheme.

However I agree that labeling to identify the correct lens is important! - and that he better had stated the version in the title or in the OP, even that the fact that he did not is leaving some room for doubt.

Versions of the 50 and 55 Takumars with a rubberized focus ring have SMC written on their namering. To identify them often, e.g. at Pentaxforum lens review, only these are named 'SMC Takumar', and all earlier Taks with the metal focus ring that have Super-Multi-Coating, 'S-M-C Takumar': http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/category-Pentax-Takumar-M42-Screwmount-Normal-Primes.html

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for jumping in Andreas! It's indeed the 6/6 version (v2, 43812 stamped on the A/M switch). I know for sure because I have researched Takumars for quite a bit. I'm certainly not one of the foremost Takumar collectors in the world (I don't have them all and I certainly never will) but yes - I think I know what I'm talking about with regards to Takumars Smile

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some pretty sharp pictures pumping out from the SMC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotmatic wrote:
Thanks for jumping in Andreas! It's indeed the 6/6 version (v2, 43812 stamped on the A/M switch). I know for sure because I have researched Takumars for quite a bit. I'm certainly not one of the foremost Takumar collectors in the world (I don't have them all and I certainly never will) but yes - I think I know what I'm talking about with regards to Takumars Smile

thank you for confirming Peter and I am very happy to see you back Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am LUCKY then as I just checked MY one and it has the Version 2 number on the A/M switch --- it was a 'staff lens' of the Brentwood Gazette newspaper in the 1970's when they had an Asahi Pentax ES-- well, the young 'staff photographer' broke the ES and they wanted to get rid of that lens so I offered £ 10-00 and got it ! I have used it for floodlit football on my Pentax K10D at full aperture but the trouble is the K10D suffers from 'back focus' and not all are sharp but 'good enough' for local Press photos -- not once have I had a comment that my 'photos are not sharp enough' so get away with it !

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this in K-mount and im very happy with it.

It could be quite hard to find the M42 SMC Takumar v2 on ebay since the serial is often not visible on photos and they who know they selling a superior version foten charge you a bit over the average. (There is also a budget one realeased as a Takumar with K-mount flooding the results)

But here is the secret. Look for a 35 on the meter scale and you found a V2-version.
The old ones has 30 indicated on the scale.

Cheers
Petter Düring

Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The K mount version of the 6 elements lens should have better coating than the M42 one. Better correction of the CA (visible in the M42 S-M-C-)?