Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Dream: photo book that is influential
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Dream: photo book that is influential Reply with quote

The other night I dreamt of a photo book - a famous photographer (Willy Brandt? Nah, that's a German Chancellor) whose name I can't recall, Brandt or something. Black and white photos, this is a veteran photographer going way back. I was telling my wife that OH this guy has been extremely influential to me. The current interest of this photog is NYC or other big city sidewalks, walls, store fronts... I had a moment of POV where a black man was loading a truck close to a brick wall, on a side walk. There was motion, the man smiled, and SNAP.

Who could this be? Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look it up on giggles but I think I remember a Nick Brand or Brandt that had some very nice BW elephant shots and other African wild shots . Seems to me he switched from another genre to wildlife or from wildlife to another genre At some important point in his career but this is from memory and could simply have been a bad dream too Wink

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream: photo book that is influential Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
The other night I dreamt of a photo book - a famous photographer (Willy Brandt? Nah, that's a German Chancellor) whose name I can't recall, Brandt or something. Black and white photos, this is a veteran photographer going way back. I was telling my wife that OH this guy has been extremely influential to me. The current interest of this photog is NYC or other big city sidewalks, walls, store fronts... I had a moment of POV where a black man was loading a truck close to a brick wall, on a side walk. There was motion, the man smiled, and SNAP.

Who could this be? Very Happy

I know of Bill Brandt, he's quite famous, but I don't remember him as being particularly related to photographs of NYC.
He's much on the surreal side.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Nick was a music video guy for Micheal Jackson then turned into an African wildlife photog who uses a Pentax 67 II and normal lenses so he has to get up close and personal with them ( a recipe for natural selection in my opinion but the photos Are Stunning )

So maybe not the same guy ?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well NYC brings Meyerowitz or Winnogrand to mind for me (not sure if either is spelled correctly )

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the digging - yes I saw the Brandt elephants, for which I'm glad... most likely I concocted this photographer in dream, but on the other hand, sometimes these things have a way of coming true: I won't be too surprised (though spooked) if some day I actually bump into the book! Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Dream: photo book that is influential Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
I know of Bill Brandt, he's quite famous, but I don't remember him as being particularly related to photographs of NYC.
He's much on the surreal side.

Is there a book with his work (Bill Brandt) that you can recommend?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Dream: photo book that is influential Reply with quote

fotomachi wrote:

Is there a book with his work (Bill Brandt) that you can recommend?

I have his photos featured in several antologies, but no book of his own, sorry.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon in the USA has a bunch of Bill Brandt books - and actually one might fit the dream! The NYC bit may have been me following his lead in some way - as I say, it was a POV part where I was the photographer. I'll look further into this Wink

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=bill+brandt