Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Transplant P6 mount Sonnar lens elements (from MC to non-MC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:06 am    Post subject: Transplant P6 mount Sonnar lens elements (from MC to non-MC) Reply with quote

OK, kind of a weird question, but was hoping somebody may have tried this already.

would it be easy/possible to transplant the lens elements from the P6 mount MC Sonnar 180/2.8 to the older, zebra styled non-MC Sonnar 180/2.8?

I'm currently working on a project that requires the modification of the non-MC Sonnar's body, but I want to use the multi-coated lenses.

Any help/pointers appreciated !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to specifically to the Sonnar but typically most lenses are made in a modular sort of way so elements can be put in/taken out as optical blocks (several assembled elements) rather than as individual pieces. I assume this is because it made the original assembly process easier.
Try first to see if the two sonnars disassemble (usually it's two pieces: a front and back portion with the aperture blades in the middle) in this way and try to screw the MC optics into the zebra body.
If that does not work and the elements have to be taken out individually, use the spacers that are coupled with the elements. Don't switch them around even if they look identical. Minor adjustments are made for coating thickness. It can actually throw off infinity.

Otherwise, I'd probably bet you can swap em without much issue. Do check for changes in infinity focus though. That usually indicates something isn't right.

I don't mean to pry but why do this in the first place?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
I can't speak to specifically to the Sonnar but typically most lenses are made in a modular sort of way so elements can be put in/taken out as optical blocks (several assembled elements) rather than as individual pieces. I assume this is because it made the original assembly process easier.
Try first to see if the two sonnars disassemble (usually it's two pieces: a front and back portion with the aperture blades in the middle) in this way and try to screw the MC optics into the zebra body.
If that does not work and the elements have to be taken out individually, use the spacers that are coupled with the elements. Don't switch them around even if they look identical. Minor adjustments are made for coating thickness. It can actually throw off infinity.

Otherwise, I'd probably bet you can swap em without much issue. Do check for changes in infinity focus though. That usually indicates something isn't right.

I don't mean to pry but why do this in the first place?

OK, I'll see if this works Very Happy

It's to adapt the Sonnar 180 to Pentax 6x7 Smile