Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar 24-48mm VMC Series 1 f/3.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Vivitar 24-48mm VMC Series 1 f/3.8 Reply with quote

Hello,
Does someone has previous experience with Vivitar 24-48mm VMC Series 1 f/3.8 (e-bay link) on DSLR?
I'm looking for inexpensive option for Canon 60D DSLR videography. As this lens has constant aperture it might be a good shoot...
I have have brilliant Tokina 11-16 f2.8 wide angle lens and good Hoya HMC 80-200mm f4 tele zoom and now loking for something that might fit in the middle.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Regards,

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's one of my favorite lenses, out of 60 that I've found today while sorting out !

It's big, heavy - 0.636 kg -, built like a tank, has a massive 77mm filter ring so polarizers etc are expensive, but it is a good lens. I've used mine on a Pentax K10 dslr, and a Pentax MG and Chinon CE-5 film slr's. And it works well on both film and digital.
Despite its size and weight, it is fairly short - about 85mm - so it's easy enough to hand hold. When I'm feeling strong I put it on the K10 with its battery grip and use it as my walkabout lens. Laughing

Optically I think it is very good and sharp, like most zooms it works best in the middle range of aperture and focal length, but it's no disgrace when pushed. There's some CA fringing, but very little and that's easily Photoshopped away.

One good tip, the big front filter is easy to catch on things, but I found the popular charity wristbands made of silicone fit very nicely around the front of the lens and help protect it a lot.

I paid about £25 ( UK ) for mine a couple of years ago, and other than on ebay I haven't seen one for sale since. They are scarce, but also not widely known about so the prices don't tend to be inflated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one in FD mount but it has a stuck aperture which can be common with this lens so be careful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: 60 lenses! jeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
It's one of my favorite lenses, out of 60 that I've found today while sorting out !

It's big, heavy - 0.636 kg -, built like a tank, has a massive 77mm filter ring so polarizers etc are expensive, but it is a good lens. I've used mine on a Pentax K10 dslr, and a Pentax MG and Chinon CE-5 film slr's. And it works well on both film and digital.
Despite its size and weight, it is fairly short - about 85mm - so it's easy enough to hand hold. When I'm feeling strong I put it on the K10 with its battery grip and use it as my walkabout lens. Laughing

Optically I think it is very good and sharp, like most zooms it works best in the middle range of aperture and focal length, but it's no disgrace when pushed. There's some CA fringing, but very little and that's easily Photoshopped away.

One good tip, the big front filter is easy to catch on things, but I found the popular charity wristbands made of silicone fit very nicely around the front of the lens and help protect it a lot.

I paid about £25 ( UK ) for mine a couple of years ago, and other than on ebay I haven't seen one for sale since. They are scarce, but also not widely known about so the prices don't tend to be inflated.

60 lenses! you must have one hell of a kit bag! 9-) i would have to get another Ghillie to carry all that out in the field Cool
Brian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box one small lenses. by Mudplugga, on Flickr

I use these, I've got four boxes now. They stack nicely in the back of the old Landcruiser ! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corvedale by Mudplugga, on Flickr

This is the kind of result I get from the Vivitar, I'd only had the lens a few days when this extraordinary winter frost and sun came along and I was out shooting for 3 days solid, and the Vivitar was the lens of choice.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy, that's a beautiful shot Smile

Only 60 lenses though? Wuss! Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy - appreciate your information! Impressive lens collection and great photo by the way. Smile I saw your other photos taken with this lens - really amazing! But what about the flare? As I see it holds the frontal light quite well, isn't it? On e-bay price is quite high, but as I see it might be worth...

martinsmith99 - thank you as well. Did you tried to fix the aperture blades problem? Similar problem has this lens on e-bay - e-bay link, and price is still quite high...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't got a hood for it when I was shooting those winter shots, although I now use a Cokin P series hood that clips into the filter holder. The hood is sectional so it can be adjusted to prevent vignetting. But flaring isn't that bad, the picture above had the sun right on the edge of the picture.

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-44134-jacobs-digital-cokin-p255-p-series-modular-hood.aspx

The Cokin hood is excellent, it's cheap and effective.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Lloydy, that's a beautiful shot Smile

+1 beautiful!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Cokin P Hood Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I hadn't got a hood for it when I was shooting those winter shots, although I now use a Cokin P series hood that clips into the filter holder. The hood is sectional so it can be adjusted to prevent vignetting. But flaring isn't that bad, the picture above had the sun right on the edge of the picture.
http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/p-44134-jacobs-digital-cokin-p255-p-series-modular-hood.aspx
The Cokin hood is excellent, it's cheap and effective.

Lloydy - Thank's for a tip. I also using Cokin P type filtres but without the hood. I'll try to get one by chance.

Besides, as I see you are familiar with quite a lot of lenses, what can you say about TOKINA RMC 28-70mm f4 ?
BR
K

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the Tokina, I've got a Minolta af 70-210 which I've never used, but the quality of the lens seems to be better than some other third party manufacturers.

A quick search threw this old thread up -

http://forum.manualfocus.org/viewtopic.php?id=7519

which might be the same lens ?