Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

yashinon 45mm 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: yashinon 45mm 1.4 Reply with quote

I recently bought a Yashica Lynx 14. Did anyone do the modification to adapt this lens to a m4/3 ?
yes i know it's bad to destroy such a fine camera but...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/4670508170/in/set-72157624167131660

the guy posted a bunch of sample took with its e-p1 and the result is amazing.
I know a guy in my village that could help me and got the right equipment to do it properly.

Last edited by Hexaddict on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd do it if the camera was damaged. Looks like the convesion isn't that hard.link to the main page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/sets/72157624167131660/with/4670508170/

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt know that the mech is so complicated. A very fine piece of engineering indeed.
I have a beat up copy of this camera but it is still working. Part of me want it to be not functioning, but most part of me really want to keep it in working condition...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact the one i bought is not functionning but probably can be repaired. I found an other one since i wrote this post. It seems to be in mint condition + lens hood + filter. If can i put the hand on it, i will keep it safe Smile
Depending of the result compared to my hexanon 50 1.4 i could keep the yashinon and sell the 50mm. But i must test it before.
The sample i saw on the Olympus are simply stunning but took by a very skilled photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lens mechanism + mounting is actually quite simple.

The complicated mechanism is just the shutter. All leaf shutters that can do this range of speeds are like this.

I would advise against removing this lens unless the camera itself is hopeless.

The lens is good but not better than many common 50/1.4 lenses.

I don't think its worth going to this trouble and you will be losing the value of the whole camera.
I have looked at the pictures of the conversion, and while I think its possible to do this conversion in a reversible way (where the lens can later be reinstalled in the camera), it would require removing some parts that may be difficult to reinstall if not done by a skilled person. I am thinking of the shutter cocking shaft in particular.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:
I'd do it if the camera was damaged. Looks like the convesion isn't that hard.link to the main page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/sets/72157624167131660/with/4670508170/

apart of removing the wires in the first shots it seems that the main modif is done between:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/4669879875/in/set-72157624167131660
and
http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/4669880157/in/set-72157624167131660
We can see some removed pieces , probably to activate the manual aperture mechanism.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pictures of the front of the shutter.
The pictures there show mainly the disassembly of the front rings, all of which will be reinstalled later.
The minor change required on the shutter is to keep the blades open in the "T' setting. Its not hard to jam that in place.

The big changes are on the other side of the shutter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done this conversion a couple of times and there's no way it's reversible, you're destroying the camera. With a non-functioning non-mint item that's not that much of a problem, but I wouldn't do it on a mint one. Enough beat up Yashica's out there.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I suggest you do, do not take it apart that much as shown in the pictures of Jackslai.

Starting from the camera-side: If you remove the focussing ring and aperture ring, and remove a couple of screws that are somewhere beneath those rings (less than you would expect) you can 'shake' the shutterblades out already without taking the lens apart. The shutterblades can then be removed by pulling two lensparts somewhat from eachother in a cornering way, they just glide out of the small space you create (you'll understand what I mean when being there). Don't unscrew the ones surrounded by plastic, they don't have to be unscrewed and just give more loose parts.

Last edited by Fabian on Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:04 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
I've done this conversion a couple of times and there's no way it's reversible, you're destroying the camera. With a non-functioning non-mint item that's not that much of a problem, but I wouldn't do it on a mint one. Enough beat up Yashica's out there.

I will do it on the broken one and will keep intact the second which seems to be in a lot more better condition . If you accept to share information about conversion that would be very appreciated.
i'm not fan of conversion, thats why i bought a M4/3 for my hexanon lenses , to keep them intact.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We posted at the same time, to avoid that you're not aware of my message: read up. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fabian wrote:
We posted at the same time, to avoid that you're not aware of my message: read up. Smile

hehe ,thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need to remove the shutterblades at all.
All you need to do is figure a way to keep the shutter open at "B"

Set the shutter to B, fire the shutter and jam the shutter release down to keep it open.

You don't even need to disassemble the shutter, ay least not from the front.

The real problem is on the back, as you need to get the cocking rod out of the way.

I think its possible to remove the lens in a way that is reversible. But it will take some skill.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I see the problem.

You have to cut off the rear part of the tube that has the inner helical screw in order to get
the thing to fit within the register distance of the 4/3 mount.

This could be made to fit a longer register camera, but then it would probably get in the way of the mirror.

Maybe a Pentax K-01 would work ?

Tough problem.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doing the 1.7 version, almost finished before realizing that metal grinding was required. I have no way to grind metal, so the project is dead for now. Sure looks good on the Oly!

[/url]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a very special lens, but quite heavy.
You need to have someone with lathe and drill in order to make the focusing ring right.

Here are some samples with Nex-3 resized to 1600.

In my opinion it is not worthed destroying the Lynx - if you are looking for a simmilar effect you can go for a 1.4 fujinon on m42.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a small iron saw works to get rid off the inner metal. It doesn't need to be straight/leveled because it's not the part where you attach the adapter.
You just have to remove enough to get to infinity, otherwise the adapter gets hit from the inside by it when turning the focus ring.

@post above: not all pictures look like they are in focus. The lens gets really sharp at f/2 and I miss that in most of your pictures.
To see what I mean, check this topic.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those samples seem very soft, don't you think?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall maybe they look a little bit soft but they have lots of details.
I will post a 100% crop later.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here you are

http://www.flickr.com/photos/s_dyakov/sets/72157630059303715/

This is set of full sized jpegs with Nex-3.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May i suggest this album ?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/xy9z/sets/72157624122979439/with/4693762810/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the conversion, i found this too but translated from chinese.

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=zh-CN&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bigeye.url.tw%2Fbig5%2Fd_ya45_14.htm&act=url