Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How much for an old Sony NEX 5?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: How much for an old Sony NEX 5? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I want to buy a first camera for my nephew. I'm thinking the NEX-5 could be a good candidate.
What is the average price for this camera?
Also, I did spot one which is 14.2mp, whereas when I search on eBay it seems NEX-5 it's 16mp. I guess the 14.2mp it is older perhaps?

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't buy the original NEX 5 but pay a little more for the much better NEX 5N/5R.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps if we know what country, my suggestion would be a sony a5000 with 16-50 kit lens for £159 from sony outlet
https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Interchangeable-lens-cameras-Alpha-/Compact-mirrorless-ILCE-

Lots available at that price and if you sell the lens its almost a free camera

Nex 5 camera around £70 body only

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Helps if we know what country, my suggestion would be a sony a5000 with 16-50 kit lens for £159 from sony outlet
https://outlet.sony.co.uk/shop/Interchangeable-lens-cameras-Alpha-/Compact-mirrorless-ILCE-

Lots available at that price and if you sell the lens its almost a free camera

Nex 5 camera around £70 body only

Are you sure there is any stock?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your advices.

I don't know the original Nex5, is it that bad compared to the 5r/5r?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes calvin, i check the site daily, and they are often up, intact today was the first time i did not see one

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Yes calvin, i check the site daily, and they are often up, intact today was the first time i did not see one

That will be a good choice if it is available.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgustav wrote:
Thank you for your advices.

I don't know the original Nex5, is it that bad compared to the 5r/5r?

The original Nex5 is quiet slow compare to the later camera and it does not has any touch screen.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sonynex5n

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the original NEX5 does not take the optional EVF ( electronic viewfinder ), the successor models 5n, 5r and 5t do

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have (or rather had) the original NEX-5 and while it was good or at least ok at the time, it can't compare with the newer models. Especially the lack of EVF is a big problem.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony outlet just reduced a5000 to £159 with a sale discount code making it £143. I got mine yesterday.
Next 5 is 14mp , the 5n is 16mp and improved.
I got a nex 5 that doesn't work with auto lenses a couple of years ago - perfect for legacy lenses !!
I also have an f3 and cannot tell the difference in images.
Cex sell next 5 for £75 with 1yr g'tee 5n is ~ 140.
I would still consider the next 5 if price right. I doubt anyone buying a bargain Nex will be shelling out for evf.
The a5000 is TINY. I have an e-pm2 which I thought was small !