Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Canon new FD 2.8/14mm L
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Canon new FD 2.8/14mm L Reply with quote

It seems there's no dedicated thread yet for this lens here on mflenses.com.
I recently had the opportunity to take images of this rare and extremely expensive beast, and I look forward to test it shortly. For time being, here's an image of the lens Wink

Not long ago, this lens was sold for about CHF 500.-- here in Switzerland ... I really should have bough one back then! These days, a nice nFD 2.8/14mm goes for USD 10'000.--.
Frankly I have no idea why the prices for certain Canon FD lenses have exploded during the last year, but maybe someone can enlighten me ...??

S

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Isn't it the videographers that like FD lenses? And they want whole kits not just one lens. It's the same with Carl Zeiss and even Sekor C lenses.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
Cool! Isn't it the videographers that like FD lenses? And they want whole kits not just one lens. It's the same with Carl Zeiss and even Sekor C lenses.

Yeah but USD 10'000.-- for a nFD 2.8/14mm L? Or USD 15'000.-- for the nFD 1.4/24mm L? Seriously?!
Why not take either the early EF 2.8/14L and 1.4/24L which have more or less the same optics? And you can get the visibly better "II" versions of the EF lenses for about CHF/USD/EUR 1000.-- ...

I don't understand it. I think it's collctors madness, but maybe I'm wrong.

S

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the rare opportunity to try out one of these amazing optics after a friend of mine just bought it. The field of view was simply amazing, and it appeared sharp as a tack from corner to corner.

Once an item has been adopted for use with movie studios, the price of it goes out the window. This has been going on with popular lenses for some time. Years ago, a hot lens with the movie crowd was the Canon 150-600mm L Zoom. A Hollywood company, Century Precision Optics, would buy these lenses, then convert them for video use, which involved fairly heavy retrofitment. The result was a lens they may have paid a couple thousand $$ for that sold for well over $10k -- and this was like 30 years ago.

About that time -- about 30 years ago -- I visited a Hollywood photo/video shop to buy an adapter they had in stock for a telephoto I owned. I was stunned by the price tags on some of the items they had on the floor. I will never forget this tripod they had -- a pretty sturdy one, yes. But their price tag was $10,000. For a tripod! It was at that moment that I realized why movie budgets are so high. It's because, among other things, they buy stuff from suppliers like that store in Hollywood.

So, anyway, it doesn't surprise me a bit, now that movie people have fixated on something, like that 14mm lens, its price goes through the roof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also with Mirrorless, FD that used to be difficult on FE for Canon became easy with the much reduced register distance.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevemark wrote:
Yeah but USD 10'000.-- for a nFD 2.8/14mm L? Or USD 15'000.-- for the nFD 1.4/24mm L? Seriously?!

Don't ask questions, if you've got one - take the money and run.