Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rollei Infrared 400 - Lower wood effect than Efke IR 820?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Rollei Infrared 400 - Lower wood effect than Efke IR 820? Reply with quote

Hello.
With the Rollei Infrared 400 film I obtain only a very low wood effect.
Example:

(already improved a lot in lightroom)

Filter is Heliopan RG 715. Lens is 50mm CZJ Flektogon F4, usually around F8-F16 with 1/4s exposures (--> ISO 1,5- ISO 3).

10min before that shot I used Efke IR 820 film and got much stronger wood effects with the same exposure times.

Can anybody give a tip how to get a stronger wood effect?
Do I use the wrong filter for this film?
Devoloper was Xtol 1+1 for both films. Is it maybe the wrong devoloper for the rollei film?

Last edited by ForenSeil on Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get far whiter results with the IR 820 and Rodinal dev. But I did not try any other film/dev...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not familiar with the Rollei film, but I know that Fotokenia (Efke's manufacturer) makes very highly regarded film. So perhaps the Efke is simply a higher-quality film? Also, for the Rollei, what is the nanometer rating?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Wimberley Pyro WD2D, and Acufine. Both get fairly good wood effect using an R72 filter on Rollei 400.

See my tests on digital truth:

http://www.digitaltruth.com/products/product_tests/infrared_film_008.php

Jules

PS: Rollei is Efke/Maco/ect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RG715 is just above the "red-edge" which causes the whitening of foliage

Personally I would go up a notch using the Hoya R72

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.

750nm cut off filters are harder to find, and effectively reduce the ISO to around 1!

Rollei IR400's manufacturers did recommend overexposure for a greater wood effect. When I tried this, I just seemed to get overexposed images Rolling Eyes

It's a very sharp film and has an interesting tonality. Unfortunately its IR response seems weaker than Ilford SFX200 to me; much much weaker than the classic Konica IR750nm film too. Still, its one of the best we've got and I'm really glad Rollei/Maco/whoever are still making it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverseries wrote:
Pretty much.

750nm cut off filters are harder to find, and effectively reduce the ISO to around 1!

Rollei IR400's manufacturers did recommend overexposure for a greater wood effect. When I tried this, I just seemed to get overexposed images Rolling Eyes

It's a very sharp film and has an interesting tonality. Unfortunately its IR response seems weaker than Ilford SFX200 to me; much much weaker than the classic Konica IR750nm film too. Still, its one of the best we've got and I'm really glad Rollei/Maco/whoever are still making it...

Even Superpan 200 which isn't a real IR-film gives better wood-effects.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it available in 120 roll format?

I'd like to try some to see if it is as sharp as the IR400 film (should be, right?)

What's the best price on the net for it?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riverseries wrote:
Is it available in 120 roll format?

I'd like to try some to see if it is as sharp as the IR400 film (should be, right?)

What's the best price on the net for it?

Yes it's available 120 roll format. I have 3 rolls here but my Kiev 60 is broken Sad. Which IR400 film do you mean? If you are talking about the same film the resolution is much better with the 120 format, especially when used for prints in darkroom.
I paid a little more than 4€ per roll.

The best price on the net depends on your location.
I've bought mine from a German seller (Macodirect.de)

Efke IR820 is more expenisve but it's giving a much better (the best) IR effect when used with filter
Rollei Infrared 400 is not so good with my 715nm filter.
Rollei Superpan 200 has similar character, but much better resolution, gives better wood effect than Rollei Infrared 400 and is the cheapest.
I heard Rollei Retro 80 is also very good for IR but producing very little tonal range and extremly contasty images (which produces a special character) but I've never tried it so far.