Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Sob Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Sob Stories Reply with quote

We have all had an experience in photography, that brings a tear of regret.
I have several. Here is one.
I was hiking in the Warrumbungles [url]http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/nationalparks/parkhome.aspx?id=n0035[/url], and had stopped to take a series of images that needed a lens change and a tripod.
After spending quite some time re-packing the macro lens into my backpack and sorting out all my gear, I put on my hat, hitched up my pack and walked off without the tripod. Doh!
I remembered it about 15 minutes later and hiked back to find it - GONE.
Some other hiker has found himself a tripod and couldn't see anyone about that might own it.
I never saw another person, and no tripod was ever handed in.
It was a favourite - small enough for a backpack, yet sturdy enough to be useful.
I have only lately replaced it.
Still miss it though.
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Losing a piece of gear can be pretty depressing, I know how you feel. Sorry to hear that happened to you! I dropped one of my first lenses on concrete during a bbq because ants were crawling up my neck..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily I've never had any equipment mishaps . *knock on wood* I'm sorry to hear about yours.

I did, however, lose a roll of 120 film because of a slip of the hand one time. I won't go into a great amount of detail but I had spent literally hours of my time (planning, set design, wardrobe) on the roll. It was for a college film photography course. It was, and still remains, the most well-planned roll I'd ever attempted since it was studio based and I only had my model and the space for a short time. Most of my photography is quick, casual outdoor stuff so this was a bit different. I needed 3 good shots so I planned out the roll of 12 very precisely. Got the roll done, was very happy and confident, took the film out of the camera, folded under the backing paper ready to secure the adhesive strip and it slipped. I managed to grab the end of the paper just to see the whole roll unravel.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain.
I suppose gear can be replaced, but images from a shoot ...........groan!
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirty-five years ago
Simply smashing, magnificent girl posing for two whole rolls of B&W
Philippine beach
The best work of my life.
Ilford XP-1
Developed in Rodinal, as B&W instead of C41 (in error, not mine)
Much more than film was lost.
Still makes me cry that does.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodinal was a great developer. Is it still available?
I was always wary of using XP-1 for that very reason.
We lived in the countryside, and most country photo labs weren't familiar with it.
I stuck with HP-5 or Tri-X
OH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I climbed to the top of a small crag to run a roll of film off because there was a very interesting folly ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folly ) at the top. Having been a smoker for 40 years, this represented much effort. I took many sure-fire winners that day and looked forward to getting the film developed. Unfortunately, I forget that on the Zenit E I used, the load back had to be locked manually and I hadn't done that. Result = 1 fogged film with some tantalising remnants of fine looking images.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't we all been there? Don't even look back... Wink

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like photography and fishing have something in common....

the best and the biggest always get away..... Embarassed