Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Smc Pentax-M 1.7/50 vs Leitz Summicron-R 2/50
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Smc Pentax-M 1.7/50 vs Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 Reply with quote

After receiving my old SMC Pentax M back from service, I decited to compare this small, cheap and sharp lens against my favorite 50.
A heavy, alot more expensive Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 (1st version).
By the way the Leitz is about 15 years older than the Pentax.
Today I started shooting a test chart. This test is non scientific, maybe I did some big mistakes!

4 Testing Zones: 1.center, 2.halfway from center to border, 3.color-field, 4.inner-corner
4 Apertures Pentax 1.7, 2, 2.8, 4; Leitz 2, 2.8, 4
Exposure time: f1.7: 1/80; f2: 1/60; f2.8: 1/30; f4: 1/15
Testing camera was Pentax K-r.

Now have a look at my results:

the test-chart:

center

half way to border

inner-corner

color-field

There is just one thing that came into my mind: This Pentax lens is really good!

Maybe I did some focussing mistakes or did not reach perfect parellelism of camera-sensor and chart.
During the next days I will try to do some further test and also will discuss my results.

Timo

Last edited by timo832000 on Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:50 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is no surprise to me. I have often considered that Pentax are the Japanese Leica, until I realised they were actually better, so not like Leica at all Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GrahamNR17 wrote:
This is no surprise to me. I have often considered that Pentax are the Japanese Leica, until I realised they were actually better, so not like Leica at all Wink

Cool Best bang for the bucks. Razor sharp wide open.

at f1.7, on nex5:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today i did the hole test twice, with nearly the same results.
The Pentax wins in terms of sharpnes.
At F2 the Leitz is brighter than the Pentax.

It´s the first comparision I did between this two lenses. My experience from real life shooting told me the Leitz would be more sharp and more contrasty than the Pentax. Maybe the revision of the Pentax made it. Or maybe the Leitz suffers from strong field curvature.
So as soon as the weather is more comfortable i will take both out for shooting real things, not test-charts.

Timo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the 50mm lens is this good no matter who made it, Konica, KMZ Helios or Nikon etc.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Most of the 50mm lens is this good no matter who made it, Konica, KMZ Helios or Nikon etc.

+1000 Laughing and most of them can be had quite cheaply so you can have a large collection for fun !

I have always found the Pentax 50/1.7 and Tak 55/1.8 to be superb in the sharpness and contrast categories ! Absolutely necessary for photographing charts ! Real life doesn't seem to care as much Wink But it's nice to have the option.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly I tested the Canon EF 50/1.8 II against the Carl Zeiss Planar 50/1.7 once, using a test chart and the Canon won easily Laughing When I shot at infinity, the Zeiss won easily. And when I took portraits, the Canon images looked flat and the Zeiss images practically popped out of the screen. I have since given up with test charts, except with long lenses to test for CA Wink

P.s. The Pentax 50/1.7 is brilliant regardless Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham, honestly, i looked at these and i glazed over. i'm sorry, but i just dont understand these tests--who shoots this stuff? imho, and realyy imho, because i dont want to insult anyone, i just dont get it. why do we test our lenses in a way in which we dont actually use them? if you make your living taking pictures of pinwheels, then this is important. but to me, you test doing what you do, and you look at the whole, not a 1000% crop of the left freaking corner. like i said, i just dont get it. apologies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
graham, honestly, i looked at these and i glazed over. i'm sorry, but i just dont understand these tests--who shoots this stuff? imho, and realyy imho, because i dont want to insult anyone, i just dont get it. why do we test our lenses in a way in which we dont actually use them? if you make your living taking pictures of pinwheels, then this is important. but to me, you test doing what you do, and you look at the whole, not a 1000% crop of the left freaking corner. like i said, i just dont get it. apologies.
Stop being sensible accurate, and correct... It gets in the way of unreasonable debate Wink

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bokeh test might be very interesting.

Cron v1 has not the smoothest of the bokeh in the 50mm region...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens "testing" can be a great way to spend a miserable, cold, wet and windy afternoon. Better than watching an old movie on TV. Maybe.

Real world or not, I enjoy looking at what folks turn up doing this. Sometimes I try it myself but usually finish up knowing that somehow I fluffed part of the process and failed to get the focus right or missed the perpendicular or something . . . so Well Done, Timo. Don't be put off by knowing that virtually all stanfard lenses are "excellent" - they still have different characteristics, after all.

Might be interesting to try them out at infinity sometime. When the weather's warmer perhaps Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Timo for the time and effort for this test and for posting it!
I find this kind of test telling, specially tests of sharpness of corners, for even though many 50mm may be comparably good, differences in corners at open apertures may be considerable. In real life when using a lens wide open the object in focus many times is more close to the corner than in the middle of the frame.

a great portrait Hoan!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andreas. I like your shots from the poll club too.
I have been around Mekong delta since 1990, using ME super with M50/1.4. I still have the best images from that trip - snake farm, dog farm, ruins, limestone formations...

Back to the OP,
50mm has not changed the design much. As I know, all 50's are good, especially f1.7 and f1.8. I did compare pentax M50/1.4 and M50/1.7 earlier. The M50/1.7 wins. Thanks for your great work.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: off topic Reply with quote

whhooa, Hoan, now you made me mighty curious to see those photos from 10, 20 years ago!
glad you like the pool hall pics. In retrospect I am happy to have posted the last pic with the neat girls and wished I had taken some of the place too, as those from the 'atmospheric pool hall' only may give a wrong impression of this very enjoyable place.

I look forward to using my rel. 'new' M1.7/50 more often, thank you for your encouragement

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Testing has it's place and can be quite useful. However, you have to be very careful as to the conclusions you draw from any single test.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: Smc Pentax-M 1.7/50 vs Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 Reply with quote

timo832000 wrote:
After receiving my old SMC Pentax M back from service, I decited to compare this small, cheap and sharp lens against my favorite 50.
A heavy, alot more expensive Leitz Summicron-R 2/50 (1st version).
By the way the Leitz is about 15 years older than the Pentax.
Today I started shooting a test chart. This test is non scientific, maybe I did some big mistakes!

4 Testing Zones: 1.center, 2.halfway from center to border, 3.color-field, 4.inner-corner
4 Apertures Pentax 1.7, 2, 2.8, 4; Leitz 2, 2.8, 4
Exposure time: f1.7: 1/80; f2: 1/60; f2.8: 1/30; f4: 1/15
Testing camera was Pentax K-r.

Now have a look at my results:

There is just one thing that came into my mind: This Pentax lens is really good!

Maybe I did some focussing mistakes or did not reach perfect parellelism of camera-sensor and chart.
During the next days I will try to do some further test and also will discuss my results.

Timo

Hi Timo. Your test was nicely done. Obviously you took some care about it. The results are not a surprise to me. I'm very familiar with the Pentax lens in question. It's good.

I haven't used that particular Leica lens, but have used Leica rangefinder lenses a lot. They have their own character, which I enjoy, but they are not always the sharpest.

John

Last edited by John Poirier on Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:23 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:

Some of us do actually use our lenses in ways for which these tests are relevant. For example, copy work. I did a lot of technical photography for over 20 years- made a living at it, actually. Knowing what my lenses would do was critical to productivity and to keeping clients happy. (At that focusing distance I would consider the Pentax lens adequate for copy work but the Leica lens not.)

There are other fields such as certain high-end adveritsing modes, where image sharpness is a must. You have to test your lenses before the fact to make sure you meet your clients' requirements. You simply won't have a career if you aren't prepared.

Having ascended to geezer status, I'm now just doing personal work for sale as large prints in galleries. An important component of my style is sharpness. I'm not about to waste my time shooting with a lens that isn't sharp, so I test.

Certainly, there are perfectly good photographic styles that do not require absolute sharpness. Sometimes this sort of work benefits from quirky lenses. If that's the way you want to go, cool.

But please don't dis those of us who have practical reasons for requiring and testing for sharp lenses.

Hopefully testing will make a bit more sense to you now.

John