Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How do I move the mirror away to clean the sensor?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:23 am    Post subject: How do I move the mirror away to clean the sensor? Reply with quote

The sensor of my canon 1100d got a tiny hair on it.
I'm not going to proceed to complete cleanup as I lack practice and the sensor is rather clean otherwise. But I want to remove that hair with a very soft brush.
Doesn't the camera has a cleaning sensor function that moves the mirror away? I can't seem to find it in the menus.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tricky and took me a few minutes to figure out on my K-7. With the camera on, put it in "B" mode, pres and HOLD the shutter release. Then use an air squeezer or canned air to gently blow the hair off the sensor. With canned air, use it at a distance of AT LEAST 10 or 12 inches (25-30 centimeters) from the sensor and DO NOT use a directional straw if one is included.

For dirty, dirty sensors there are physical methods of cleaning I've not had to try, and won't attempt explaining. They include special swabs and volatile cleansers. There are some good tutorials online, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the only way?
Sounds a bit hacky, I would expect the camera to have a 'cleaning sensor' function rather than using the bulb mode, but I guess that will do.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_1100D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-821764&page=1&type=faq

"clean manually" is the trick, isn't it present on the 1100d?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spoilerhead wrote:
http://www.canon.co.uk/Support/Consumer_Products/products/cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_1100D.aspx?faqtcmuri=tcm:14-821764&page=1&type=faq

"clean manually" is the trick, isn't it present on the 1100d?

It is, couldn't be more obvious Embarassed

thank you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i do not suggest canned air - the condensing pressurization gas might leave ugly micro bubbles on the sensor which are worse to clean than normal dust. This is my experience from canned air in microelectronics, maybe there is today a special gas for photogs, i do not know